Author Topic: Nice Setup!  (Read 9695 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Nice Setup!
« Topic Start: July 05, 2005, 11:12:46 PM »
Time to advertise, methinks.

did you make the forum Searchable?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Nice Setup!
« Reply #1: July 05, 2005, 11:19:03 PM »
Thanks, it's nothing too complicated, just a basic PHPBB setup.  I could use some experienced designers for help with making some DC-flavored color styles, but for now I'm just happy to have this up and running!  So far the only advertising I know of are my posts on MLB forums, which I plan to renew once in a while.  Hopefully word of mouth will serve to get the guys over there to give us a look  :)

In the meantime I'm just happy to have an environment where the worst trolls can be controlled if they get too far out of line.

Oh yeah and no swear filters (yet).  I can understand the MLB wanting to censor bad language, but come on...  "butt" and "crap" are hardly swear words  :roll:

PS - I believe the forums are searchable by default, but if not, let me know and I will enable it.

Offline JMW IV

Nice Setup!
« Reply #2: July 05, 2005, 11:23:47 PM »
I googled Nationalsforum.net and nothing came up.

Offline JMW IV

Nice Setup!
« Reply #3: July 05, 2005, 11:25:27 PM »
Quote from: "administrator"
Thanks, it's nothing too complicated, just a basic PHPBB setup.  I could use some experienced designers for help with making some DC-flavored color styles, but for now I'm just happy to have this up and running!  So far the only advertising I know of are my posts on MLB forums, which I plan to renew once in a while.  Hopefully word of mouth will serve to get the guys over there to give us a look  :)

In the meantime I'm just happy to have an environment where the worst trolls can be controlled if they get too far out of line.

Oh yeah and no swear filters (yet).  I can understand the MLB wanting to censor bad language, but come on...  "butt" and "crap" are hardly swear words  :roll:

PS - I believe the forums are searchable by default, but if not, let me know and I will enable it.

I don't know ANYTHING about Web Design and such.

but if you need a Forum Moderator, lemme know.

Offline The Chief

Nice Setup!
« Reply #4: July 05, 2005, 11:26:02 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"

Heh...  the board has been up for a bit, but I only just registered the domain a few hours ago, so it'll probably be at least a few days before anything shows up on Google ;)

Offline JMW IV

Nice Setup!
« Reply #5: July 05, 2005, 11:26:51 PM »
Quote from: "administrator"

Heh...  the board has been up for a bit, but I only just registered the domain a few hours ago, so it'll probably be at least a few days before anything shows up on Google ;)

I see.

I'm not too savvy with that sort of stuff anyhow.

how much is the domain?

Offline The Chief

Nice Setup!
« Reply #6: July 05, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »
how much is the domain?

6 bucks for a year.  Varies depending on who you buy from.  I think $15 for a year is the most expensive I've ever seen.  4 or 5 bucks is about the chepeast you'll see, although some places will give them away for free as part of a package deal.  .COMs tends to be more expensive that .NETs or .ORGs

Offline mjteggy05

Nice Setup!
« Reply #7: July 05, 2005, 11:58:24 PM »
I just graduated from college and was a graphic design major...unfortunately web design is not my forte, and I don't know much html or advanced web stuff, I mostly work in print.

If I can be of any help though, let me know.

Can't wait till this board is hoppin' though  8)

Offline The Chief

Nice Setup!
« Reply #8: July 06, 2005, 12:04:10 AM »
Quote from: "mjteggy05"
I just graduated from college and was a graphic design major...unfortunately web design is not my forte, and I don't know much html or advanced web stuff, I mostly work in print.

If I can be of any help though, let me know.

Can't wait till this board is hoppin' though  8)

Well, the default color scheme on this board is alright, and some will probably prefer it once they get used to it, but I had an idea to make a "home" and "away" color scheme as well, which will be user-selectable in each member's profile options.

So basically all I need is someone with a better eye for colors than myself to figure out how to work the Nationals' red/white and navy/grey colors into this board.  If you've got a decent image editing program, you could probably just take a screencap of the forum and photochop it until it looks right.  All I really need are the HTML color codes to plug in.

Offline mjteggy05

Nice Setup!
« Reply #9: July 06, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »
It would just take me a couple minutes to recolor some screencaps in photoshop.... I'll post them when I'm done.

caldercup0

Nice Setup!
« Reply #10: July 06, 2005, 12:17:22 AM »
I really like this forum, we need some more users! Spread the word around.

gosensgo05

Nice Setup!
« Reply #11: July 06, 2005, 12:17:36 AM »
Are you going to make the colors red, white and blue????

caldercup0

Nice Setup!
« Reply #12: July 06, 2005, 12:21:18 AM »
I honestly don't think that would look too good on a forum... would match the team scheme, but not a good idea for a forum...

Offline The Chief

Nice Setup!
« Reply #13: July 06, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
Quote from: "gosensgo05"
Are you going to make the colors red, white and blue????

Well, probably not all at the same time.  As Calder said, that might not look so hot on a forum.  I was thinking of making one scheme predominantly red and white, and then another one predominantly dark blue/grey.  The current default scheme will remain as well.  Individual users can choose which scheme they like to use, and it will be what they see whenever they return to the site.

Offline mjteggy05

Nice Setup!
« Reply #14: July 06, 2005, 12:37:27 AM »
Instead of doing mock-ups, I'll just post the closest approximation to the Nats' colors in html color codes...here they are:

Nationals Red: cc0033
Nationals Blue: 003366
Nationals Gold: 996633

Now you can plug them in and make whatever combinations you see fit to give people whatever options they would like  :D

Anonymous

Great Board
« Reply #15: July 06, 2005, 10:49:11 AM »
Good work on setting up this forum. It'll be nice to have smoewhere to rant and rave about the Nats!!! Keep up the good work :D

Jpwright

Nice Setup!
« Reply #16: July 06, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »
if you want, you can always look at one of my forums.

none have really exploded, but i think in this case these calm colors are best. it goves the forum a relaxed and open feel.

if you need/want any help just mail me at jamesinbrackley@hotmail.com

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nice Setup!
« Reply #17: July 06, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Thanks, it's nothing too complicated, just a basic PHPBB setup.  I could use some experienced designers for help with making some DC-flavored color styles, but for now I'm just happy to have this up and running!  So far the only advertising I know of are my posts on MLB forums, which I plan to renew once in a while.  Hopefully word of mouth will serve to get the guys over there to give us a look

I've seen several PHPBB sites that have totally different looks and that might be worth looking into. Check the General Support under Support at the PHPBB main site. http://www.phpbbserver.com/support/ you can try doing a search for templates or whatever you might want to work on.

The PHPBB hockey forum I help moderate uses pretty much the basic settings (except in french) so there's no rule that says you need to change things too much.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nice Setup!
« Reply #18: July 06, 2005, 08:24:27 PM »
Another thing you might consider doing is adding one or two moderators, since it will be impossible for you to be here 24/7. From what I've see so far, JMadisonIV would be an excellent choice.

My apologies to JM if my suggesting him is out of order...

Jpwright

Nice Setup!
« Reply #19: July 06, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Another thing you might consider doing is adding one or two moderators, since it will be impossible for you to be here 24/7. From what I've see so far, JMadisonIV would be an excellent choice.

My apologies to JM if my suggesting him is out of order...

It might be worth getting two or three, and then they can assume responsability of getting new members to the board.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nice Setup!
« Reply #20: July 06, 2005, 08:53:56 PM »
BTW, you should seriously consider increasing the maximum number of messages per page. From my experience 25 per page instead of the default 15 is a much better working number.

Also, maybe a poll of members to find out if you should change the global settings so that the most recent post is always atop the main thread page, not as a user option as it is now. The user option would remain, but there would no longer be a need to change the settings for every new thread.

I hope I explained my self well enough so that these suggestions make sense, if not, I'm not hard to find...  :wink:

Jpwright

Nice Setup!
« Reply #21: July 06, 2005, 09:00:07 PM »
also turn on private messages :D

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nice Setup!
« Reply #22: July 06, 2005, 09:41:47 PM »
Quote from: "Jpwright"
also turn on private messages :D

They are turned on, click on the PM button on the bottom left of the message, to the right of the Profile button.

Offline mjteggy05

Nice Setup!
« Reply #23: July 06, 2005, 09:45:49 PM »
Actually Kenza, I think it's disabled for now... Chief said he's gonna have it off for now, unless a ton of people request it.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nice Setup!
« Reply #24: July 06, 2005, 09:59:49 PM »
You're right, I just tried clicking on the button and saw they were disabled. Good thing I'm such an observant person huh?