Author Topic: Change of plans - At what point would you push for a wild card in 2024?  (Read 2117 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
This team has a 0% chance of a wild card. To even sniff it, this team would have to add some pretty significant pieces. Like one of Paul Blackburn/Jesús Luzardo and one of Pete Alonso/Luis Arraez/Jonathan India. And Rizzo isnt going to give up three years of a rebuild for one wild card spot.

Stay the course, sell at the deadline.
0.4% :)

I don't see making the kind of moves you say it would take. However, it's easier to upgrade a negative WAR position (that is, upgrade from a giant pile of poo) by bringing in an average player than it is to upgrade from an average position to a star. As my post above suggest, Made and Herz were the price for Candelario, so I don't see needing to spend much more to upgrade at, say 3B, DH, or 1B, if one of your line up has one giant black hole. Rotation I think is dependent on surprises, but if Gore / Williams /Irvin continue to defy gravity and Gray comes back as a 4.5 ERA inning eater, they would be in a position where just removing Corbin from the rotation is an upgrade worth a few wins.

A Wood call up has the potential to be a 3 or more win improvement over our current outfield. He would replace either the CF in CF or perhaps allow dropping one of Meneses or Gallo from every day (or both into a
<------- ).
Assuming he plays at about the level of one of last year's top rookies (not Gunnar, not Carroll, but say Josh Jung to James Outman range), he'd be around a 3.2 fWAR player. The Nats have gotten 0 WAR out of the Dh/1B combo and only 0.1 out CF, so you'd figure adding Wood and reducing somebody else's playing time would add about 2-3 wins if Wood can come in and play at the top of his class.