Author Topic: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason  (Read 84102 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Hot Stove: 2019-2020 Offseason
« Reply #775: December 04, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
I don't see it. Take into consideration the two organizations that Cole and Wheeler came from. The Pirates were notorious for pushing their pitchers to pitch to contact and avoid the high K numbers as it was something that worked for them. Essentially Pittsburgh was pushing their starters to be two seamer happy since that really seemed to work (lol, no pun intended) for their scrap heap fixes like Morton, Burnett, and Liriano.

Wheeler on the other hand has played for the Mets, who have really pushed the strikeout pitcher. I haven't heard anything about altering Wheeler's mechanics or pitch selection to increase groundballs and not pitch to the strikeout, so I'm weary to think or say that there is "unlocked potential". Could he get better? Sure he could, but also remember that he is older than Cole and Cole has already turned that corner. Cole basically morphed into an ace when going to Houston around the same age that Scherzer took that next step with the Tigers. I just don't see 10+ K/9 and sub 2 BB/9 along with 200+ innings going deep into starts from Wheeler. Then again, those metrics I posted are becoming ever more rare these days.

I think the Phillies probably paid the right amount, but he isn't a one and they don't have the bullpen to bail him out. Essentially Wheeler gets paid a bunch but lines up behind Nola, and unless that offense really starts slugging, it would be hard to win with a psuedo-Ace, a number three, and a bunch of throw ins.

Basically Wheeler will take Arrieta's place dollar wise after this season. They need at least one more starter.  A rotation of Nola, Wheeler, Arietta, Mr. X and Eflin would be better than what they trotted out there the last few years.  Not the 2019 Nats but decent.

Is Nola a pseudo-ace? I had not heard that one before.  He did finish third in the Cy Young after 2018.  Last year was a step back.