Author Topic: Stone Garrett - MIA  (Read 3042 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Stone Garrett - MIA
« Reply #25: July 02, 2023, 03:45:18 PM »
Great job by Darnell Coles here.

Offline readonly

« Reply #26: July 02, 2023, 06:05:42 PM »
I am a big fan.  I like the way he carries himself and his clean cut appearance.  You can tell he comes from a military family.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #27: July 02, 2023, 06:18:04 PM »
Who needs Dickerson?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: July 02, 2023, 06:25:08 PM »
Im pretty sure he can play CF

Offline Slateman

« Reply #29: August 16, 2023, 09:35:17 PM »

Offline imref

« Reply #30: August 17, 2023, 07:00:00 PM »
Did we ever figure out why the diamondbacks released Stone?

Offline hotshot

« Reply #31: August 17, 2023, 07:53:20 PM »
Did Garrett always stand so far away from the plate in the batters box? That a Coles move?

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #32: August 17, 2023, 09:16:23 PM »
Could he be another Lane Thomas-like OF find?  A guy labeled as strictly a lefty masher but could hold his own against RHP as well?  Clearly you continue to give him regular ABs to finish this season, and if he continues to perform, I think you can go into 2024 with him penciled into LF.  I wouldn't be shocked if Crews broke camp as the starting CF with Stone the regular LF and Thomas in RF.  I think James Wood may arrive after Crews, but at some point he could be ready, and then maybe Stone becomes a trade chip, or you keep him and Thomas becomes a trade chip. 

Offline imref

« Reply #33: August 19, 2023, 10:52:49 AM »
We kind of have to resign Garrett, don’t we?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: August 19, 2023, 11:06:09 AM »
We kind of have to resign Garrett, don’t we?
5 more years of team control. Only 50 days service time going into this year. Team control through age 32 season. No need to pay now for age 33 and beyond. Could be a ridiculously good find.

Offline imref

« Reply #36: August 19, 2023, 02:41:08 PM »
5 more years of team control. Only 50 days service time going into this year. Team control through age 32 season. No need to pay now for age 33 and beyond. Could be a ridiculously good find.

Thanks. I saw he was on a major league contract and assumed a one-year deal. Certainly a find

Offline catocony

« Reply #37: August 21, 2023, 12:52:52 AM »
He is on a one year deal, but as he's effectively a rookie this season standard MLB service time rules apply.  The same with Smith - he has a final year of arbitration and the Nats can either tender him or not in November. 

Offline imref

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #39: October 07, 2023, 07:53:00 AM »
Yes he is and with a walking boot. He has 4 months of rehab before ST. Will he be ready?  I have no clue but I wouldn’t write him off as some have. If his speed and mobility have been reduced due to the injury as I suggested previously he could be converted to a 1B to replace Smith as his bat plays considerably better.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #40: November 22, 2023, 03:29:16 PM »
"Growing up, I saw Matt Kemp stretching, and that’s the moment I knew I wanted to be a big league player,” Garrett said. “So if I can be that for one kid, whether it’s stretching on the field or giving his family a turkey or just interacting with him around D.C., it means a lot.” 

Garrett is spending the offseason in Washington while he rehabs from a fractured left fibula sustained in late August. He began running on a treadmill on Monday, and he still expects to be ready for Spring Training. 

“I’m thankful for our trainers who are getting me back healthy and my friends and family and fans that have supported me through this process,” he said.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/stone-garrett-volunteers-at-nationals-turkeypalooza-event

I really like this guy. The story is about the Nats food giveaway for Thanksgiving, but it has some info on his recovery, including that he back on the treadmill and his expectations is to be ready by spring training. I don't think it was jsut a coincidence that their hot August faded to the cold September after Garrett was hurt. There was some talk during the season about him having a leadership presence in the clubhouse. He strikes me as having a very professional attitude. If he breaks camp with them in 2024 I think it'll be good for their competitiveness.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #41: November 22, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/stone-garrett-volunteers-at-nationals-turkeypalooza-event

I really like this guy. The story is about the Nats food giveaway for Thanksgiving, but it has some info on his recovery, including that he back on the treadmill and his expectations is to be ready by spring training. I don't think it was jsut a coincidence that their hot August faded to the cold September after Garrett was hurt. There was some talk during the season about him having a leadership presence in the clubhouse. He strikes me as having a very professional attitude. If he breaks camp with them in 2024 I think it'll be good for their competitiveness.

Put him in left every day from opening day.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #42: November 22, 2023, 05:18:00 PM »
Put him in left every day from opening day.
I don’t think he will be ready by then but they should give him the shot when healthy.  No reason not to.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #43: November 24, 2023, 05:25:11 PM »
I don’t think he will be ready by then but they should give him the shot when healthy.  No reason not to.

No more walking boot and running on a treadmill. Could be ready by ST.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: November 24, 2023, 07:05:45 PM »
No more walking boot and running on a treadmill. Could be ready by ST.
We shall see.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #45: November 25, 2023, 09:33:11 AM »
Zero reason to rush this kid. The 2024 Nats aren't going to be competitive, but the 2025 or 2026 Nats might be and they could use a full strength Stone Garrett. Let him stay at home watching videos of Matt Kemp exercising as long as he needs to be 100%.

Offline imref

« Reply #46: December 23, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
Per Zuck, Garrett is running on a treadmill and hitting baseballs.

Offline Slateman

Offline imref

« Reply #48: January 25, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
Garrett’s recovery is on track ahead of spring training, which will start in mid-February. He has been throwing and hitting since December, and he’s going through his normal offseason hitting routine now. He recently started sprinting on a treadmill with his full body weight. He’s hopeful that he can field groundballs and flyballs by the Nationals’ first full workout but will be sure not to rush back.

That's fantastic news.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #49: January 25, 2024, 06:51:15 PM »
Terrible that he’s had to endure all of that.  Pulling hard for him to recover fully and pick up where he left off.