Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74865 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #400: January 23, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
then you better hurry because the ice caps are melting.

Cause and effect

Offline Dave B

« Reply #401: January 29, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
I know shiner is generally crap, but I couldn't resist trying their chocolate stout. It was terrible. Worst beer I can remember drinking. It was like safeway chocolate syrup in water plus sugar and some soap for bubbles

Offline Dave B

« Reply #402: January 31, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
Duclaw peanut butter chocolate porter...freakin gross. Somebody left it in my fridge. Tired of it taking up space. Tasted it. I'll dump the rest out. I'll probably dump out five traveler jacko pumpkins too without tasting them.

These beers are sold at Harris teeter and giant. I'm pretty sure the macro beer companies produce them for those odd macro lovers who might try something on a whim only to be so turned off they go back to Coors light for life

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #403: February 06, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »
Madd Foxx, the micro brewery in Falls Church, is opening a new location in Glover Park
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/top-shelf/2015/02/mad-fox-s-new-d-c-location-brings-more-history.html

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #404: February 06, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
made this last night, it was very good: http://liquor.com/recipes/michelada/ (used a heineken since i had one in the fridge).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #405: February 19, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
Dogfish owner Sam Calagione describes why some craft beer companies are selling the company to InBev and why he will never sell to them

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/dogfish-head-s-sam-calagione-squares-off-against-budweiser-20150218

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #406: February 19, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
he's right, goose island's quality has gone to crap since Anheuser bought it, at least as far as their mass produced stuff goes- their limited runs still seem to get good reviews

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #407: March 27, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
Gentlemen, I'm attending a blind taste test 64-beer tournament party tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I entered Troeg's Nugget Nectar - my favorite beer - after finding 3 6-packs left of their annual release at TotalWine and purchasing 2 of them.

I feel strong about my entry, although less strong knowing that the previous three years the winners have been something from Heavy Seas, a homebrew tripel, and Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. This indicates I may be wasting some liquid gold on a bunch of morons :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #408: March 27, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
Troeg's is pretty solid. But I think you are right, it's like feeding strawberries to pigs.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #409: March 27, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »
Devils backbone Vienna lager is pretty good but it shouldn't be winning tournaments. Maybe it just found some weird easy path through the bracket. Like if it went up against things that a good but polarizing and enough people disliked the good beer and just took Vienna lager cuz there is nothing to hate or love about it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #410: March 27, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
Devils backbone Vienna lager is pretty good but it shouldn't be winning tournaments. Maybe it just found some weird easy path through the bracket. Like if it went up against things that a good but polarizing and enough people disliked the good beer and just took Vienna lager cuz there is nothing to hate or love about it

:rofl:

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #411: March 27, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »

Yeah, I've never been to the party before this year, so I don't know how "out there" the beers are. You could put the world's top Imperial Russian Stout in there and I assume it would gone in the first round, beloved by 10% of the tasters and absolutely despised by the other 90%. My guess is that in a mixed crowd, anything too hoppy or too alcoholic will get bounced earlier, and fruitier/spicier beers will go deeper since they appeal to the non-beer drinkers.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #412: March 27, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Also, DB Vienna Lager won the Washington Post's Beer Madness last year as well, so it was a banner year for the DBVL in beer contests :)

• babble on
« Reply #413: March 27, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Does anyone dislike Duvel? I mean some people (myself among them) absolutely love it, and people who don't love it at least like it. Al-Baghdadi would probably like it.

Yeah, I've never been to the party before this year, so I don't know how "out there" the beers are. You could put the world's top Imperial Russian Stout in there and I assume it would gone in the first round, beloved by 10% of the tasters and absolutely despised by the other 90%. My guess is that in a mixed crowd, anything too hoppy or too alcoholic will get bounced earlier, and fruitier/spicier beers will go deeper since they appeal to the non-beer drinkers.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #414: March 27, 2015, 08:40:02 PM »
In terms of good beer, Duvel is the abyss of mankind.

Does anyone dislike Duvel? I mean some people (myself among them) absolutely love it, and people who don't love it at least like it. Al-Baghdadi would probably like it.

• babble on
« Reply #415: March 27, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »
Pick your pistol and surgeon, this is war mate...30 paces and we'll settle this  :P

In terms of good beer, Duvel is the abyss of mankind.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #416: March 27, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
Why not just buy liquid candy in place of the Belgium beer ?  Beer needs hops

Pick your pistol and surgeon, this is war mate...30 paces and we'll settle this  :P

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #417: March 27, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
Schlafly American IPA is the crap. So good :pimp:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #418: March 28, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
Why not just buy liquid candy in place of the Belgium beer ?  Beer needs hops

I see wisdom in this.  Not to mention lots of experience...

• babble on
« Reply #419: March 29, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »
Next you hopheads are going to tell me that vegan wings are good. Where does the madness end.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #420: April 14, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »
My "Budweiser" in-laws have started flipping out over Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stoudt.  I highly recommend trying it as a dessert beer. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #421: April 14, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
My "Budweiser" in-laws have started flipping out over Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stoudt.  I highly recommend trying it as a desert beer.

We don't have a desert anywhere near here.  Maybe if I visit Las Vegas?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #422: April 15, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
Madd Foxx, the micro brewery in Falls Church, is opening a new location in Glover Park
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/top-shelf/2015/02/mad-fox-s-new-d-c-location-brings-more-history.html

They've got a beer called Orange Whip I've been dying to try!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #423: April 28, 2015, 12:09:58 AM »
BJ's has Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier on tap.  Arguably the best wheat beer in the world, from the world's oldest continually active brewery (they started making beer in 1050).

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731/

• babble on
« Reply #424: April 28, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
What is BJ's?
BJ's has Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier on tap.  Arguably the best wheat beer in the world, from the world's oldest continually active brewery (they started making beer in 1050).

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731/