Poll

Will you be saying goodbye to Boswell, Kilgore, etc.?

I will pay $9.99 per month to read the POST online.
1 (4.5%)
I will not pay $9.99 per month to read the POST online.
11 (50%)
I don't read the POST online now.
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Washington POST online fee.  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Washington POST online fee.
« Reply #50: June 10, 2013, 02:01:01 AM »
So you're getting irritated by news organizations' need to pay their journalists. :?

If you don't think that WaPo is local, then I don't think you've been reading it. Most of the sports coverage quoted in the threads of this very forum are from Post writers.

I do like the "news subscriber" idea of yours, though. $10 a month for access to all the majors seems like a no-brainer.

Not irritated by the basic need to pay their journalists - finding their approach to doing so nonsensical and inevitably failing.

As far as the sports aspect goes, what really is there that I won't find either reading ESPN or MLB's daily recap? What trades and moves won't be posted on Nationals.com, or here, or Twitter? All that's left are a bunch of inflated talking heads spouting their opinions, despite the fact they've never played professionally, much less managed or worked in a FO. If fools writing novels of nonsense they have no experience about and no credentials on was worthy of charging to read, I'd be a billionaire by now.

The wire versus "not a wire" thing... Yeah, I clearly don't get the difference. Boots on the ground, people with better perspectives, more knowledge and insight, additional quotes and interviews? I can understand why some people might prefer that. I would too, possibly, just not paying for it with the models they currently have in place (Meaning I'm only interested in some packaged deal.) Regardless, any wire produced story I read is going to have the basics and the same bits and pieces as the "premium" stuff. One might even say the wire route is preferable, cutting out the BS and unnecessary parts to get the concise 'meat and potatoes' of the story.

The local thing's been covered ad nauseum.

It's still exactly like I said yesterday. Pay for content you cannot get elsewhere and that matters to you. So far, the sports and local argument I can't say I see the same way. Sports content I'd pay for? Something like Elias Says by ESPN daily. I find the historical records broken on a daily basis fascinating, and that's something you can't get just by looking at Twitter or the wires. But the WaPo clearly doesn't appeal to me, never will. I was simply curious as to what I wasn't 'getting' that saw others willing to pay to access, and so far I still don't.

Seems like it's more of a holdover from days before there was an Interwebz - sort of like Encyclopedia Britannica trying to survive in an era of Wikipedia, albeit nowhere near as dramatically.

Seems to me what they need to survive is to revolutionize their business. Beyond my idea of a group deal, I could see folks paying for personalities - which is something that the big name papers almost do the exact opposite of right now. Some journalist or pundit who you like, agree with, or enjoy reading, producing content for that paper's site. While there are definitely some names out there, largely the papers seem to try to minimize the individuality and focus on the brand - "This is a Washington Post article, so you know it'll be good." and not "Hey, we've got Stephen King or J.K. Rowling doing daily Op/Eds or entertainment news and reviews." Given the immediate and widespread dissemination of any news of note in the digital age, there's just no way I see the reasons given in response to my query allowing these giants to survive indefinitely producing what they're currently producing, but then again I think we've already realized I run to the beat of my own drum 99% of the time...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #51: June 10, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
Not that this is terribly important, but there was an above-the-fold and below-the-fold story about Loudon County and Manassas in today's metro, as well as two Maryland stories. The 'burbs had 75% of the section today.

I do the POST online (for now).    I used to like the weekly "local" inserts.    I get a lot of my "local" news from the Loudoun Times Mirror  ...   however they can be weak on who, what, where, when and why sometime.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: June 10, 2013, 10:34:08 AM »
Quote from: Coladar link=topic=29270.msg1246974#msg1
long stuff

Wires dont don't do investigative journalism or have in depth coverage,  so if you're content to accept whatever line gets spouted at a press cinference then transcribed by reuters,  great for you,  if you want a businsss model going forward,  what happens if the big outlets stop using ap and reuters. or demand they put their stufg behind a pay wall(since thats how they mske money)?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #53: June 10, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
Wires dont don't do investigative journalism or have in depth coverage,  so if you're content to accept whatever line gets spouted at a press cinference then transcribed by reuters,  great for you,  if you want a businsss model going forward,  what happens if the big outlets stop using ap and reuters. or demand they put their stufg behind a pay wall(since thats how they mske money)?

This has spun into something so long and convoluted, but...

Investigative journalism - If it's a big story, it gets picked up elsewhere. What's more, in a global and digital world, such reporting doesn't make sense any longer. If you do support this, my 'group deal' is the only logical choice. Supporting only one paper by paying for access to only one paper's site... Pointless. You'd want to support the industry, or journalists at large. Further, what makes the invesstigative journalist hired by some big corporation or news cartel more worthy of your money and support over the indy blogger whose sole priority is the news?

Most of these big sites have so many political backdoor deals and shady BS going on - show me the paper that wouldn't have turned the Wikileaks guy over to the Feds and burned his files? Saying we should support the big cartel papers because of the service they provide in investigative journalism/holding governments feet to the fire seems to be faulty logic in this day and age. If I felt the need to support investigative journalism, I'd seek to support the journalists doing the work, not the big bureaucratic papers who can hire and fire, print or suppress, at whim.

Further, how many recent 'huge' stories broke from purely investigative journalism? Wikileaks, our recent PRISM scandal - largely all whistleblowers or insiders coming to the journalist with info, not the other way around. With social media, the average joe, no matter where in the world, has the means to get their story out to a global audience. The days of investigative journalism where people were isolated or unable to get word out, requiring them to be found by a journalist, are largely over. I'm sure you can name a couple recent big stories that came to be only because of this process, but I'll also bet it's not even in the same universe as big journalism's heydey in the 70s.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #54: June 10, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Not that this is terribly important, but there was an above-the-fold and below-the-fold story about Loudon County and Manassas in today's metro, as well as two Maryland stories. The 'burbs had 75% of the section today.

I noticed that online also ...  without the fold.    They're out to get me and make me look bad.   :)    I think Loudoun will be gettin a bit more coverage since our House Delegate is talking to the people investigating the Guvnha.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #55: June 11, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
Also, I think a lot of times, we tend to have confirmation bias. :)

Today's Metro section report: front page is more than half PG and MoCo counties. Above the fold is all DC dirty dealings. Not measuring column inches or anything, but the section is less than half DC. Not much NoVa, though.

I noticed that online also ...  without the fold.    They're out to get me and make me look bad.   :)    I think Loudoun will be gettin a bit more coverage since our House Delegate is talking to the people investigating the Guvnha.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #56: June 11, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
Also, I think a lot of times, we tend to have confirmation bias. :)

I think it's not so much confirmation bias as people looking for areas that pertain to them- personally, if it's not Virginia, fairfax or Alexandria I tend not to care- everyone is different. If you have a city inside one state (Boston, LA, Chicago), I think it's easier since there is overlapping government to report on. Washington Post and NY Times have it harder since they have so many local jurisdictions with no overlap 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #57: June 13, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »
If you care about a hardware store on Capitol Hill.   :)

That store was the best ever.

I got hit with the "20 free articles" crap - now I have to pay :rant:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #58: June 14, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
That store was the best ever.

I got hit with the "20 free articles" crap - now I have to pay :rant:

I'm trying to save my 20 for Boswell.   Anyone know if comics and crosswords are considered "articles".    All the other news, I get from "free" sources.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #59: June 24, 2013, 04:44:55 AM »
I received the 20 Article limit today and got the Wash Post warning of having to subscribe.  But I got around that by deleting my internet history in Control Panel.  That history seems to be the Post's source for counting articles read.

I'm hoping that hard copy subscribers will get the online material for free (I just checked: print edition subscribers have full access). If not, I'll discontinue my hard copy AND not subscribe online. :)

I understand why newspapers need to go this route. Most of the big ones have (Boston, New York, Los Angeles, etc.). Even many of the smaller ones have. But $10 seems, at first glance, steep.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #60: June 24, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
I received the 20 Article limit today and got the Wash Post warning of having to subscribe.  But I got around that by deleting my internet history in Control Panel.  That history seems to be the Post's source for counting articles read.

That simply activates the NSA trace.   :)    (Thanks for the heads up.   I'm gonna give it a try.)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #61: June 24, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
alternate browsers work too if you don't want to clear cookies- I have a browser that I just used for NYT and now for wapo too- once you hit the limit, clear cookies, and you're good to go

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #62: June 24, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Pretty damned annoying - I can't remember which of my cats currently has the special new subscribers' rate for the print edition. 

It's a bit of a hassle, but you can pull up specific online WP articles from Google News in a pinch.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #63: June 24, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
I tried the cleared browser trick this Am at work and it only allowed one article. 

I am supposed to be able to get unlimited articles due to one of the exceptions, but because several years ago I changed away from an old email that was an excepted address to a new private one that is not, somehow I can't go back to the excepted address and reregister.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: June 24, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »
I tried the cleared browser trick this Am at work and it only allowed one article. 

I am supposed to be able to get unlimited articles due to one of the exceptions, but because several years ago I changed away from an old email that was an excepted address to a new private one that is not, somehow I can't go back to the excepted address and reregister.

clear the cookies not the history

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: June 24, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
did that.  Cleared all the stuff. Had to log back in everywhere.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #66: June 24, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
Yea - it is so obnoxious.  But that doesn't faze me if it beats that "system"

did that.  Cleared all the stuff. Had to log back in everywhere.