Author Topic: Approach to the trade deadline  (Read 12452 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Approach to the trade deadline
« Reply #100: June 19, 2023, 11:55:49 AM »
If we are talking 5th starter / relievers, then Williams really pops to mind. I know the Nats signed him by saying he'd start, but he was a terrific reliever last year for the Mets. He might be somebody Philly could start down the stretch and feel comfortable moving to the bullpen for the  playoffs.

Offline blue911

« Reply #101: June 19, 2023, 12:01:10 PM »
Keep in mind that Harvey has pitched a grand total of 360 innings midway through his eleventh pro season. He could still develop more. Finnegan is past that stage of his career.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #102: June 19, 2023, 12:13:28 PM »
If we are talking 5th starter / relievers, then Williams really pops to mind. I know the Nats signed him by saying he'd start, but he was a terrific reliever last year for the Mets. He might be somebody Philly could start down the stretch and feel comfortable moving to the bullpen for the  playoffs.
That’s who I was thinking about. He’s at about 70 innings versus about 90 last year. So not sure how much he has left in him. Is he on a two year contract?  Let me get in touch with DD and see what might work.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103: June 19, 2023, 12:20:18 PM »
That’s who I was thinking about. He’s at about 70 innings versus about 90 last year. So not sure how much he has left in him. Is he on a two year contract?  Let me get in touch with DD and see what might work.
2 year contract

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #104: June 19, 2023, 12:54:03 PM »
a 100-loss team should sell off every reliever that another team is interested in

what are the odds hunter harvey is pitching for our next playoff team? of course, if i was GM we could be there next year, but with Russo at the helm we're probably 2-3 years out.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #105: June 19, 2023, 01:37:28 PM »
So we’ve identified the Dodgers a team with bullpen needs.  They seem to be a good trade partner as their system always seems deep. What other teams may be in the market for relief help?  Here’s a list by team ERA. As you would expect the better teams generally have the Bette bullpens. I see the Phillies are middle of the pack but most of their guys are rounding into shape. They have more of a need for a fifth starter. 

https://www.covers.com/sport/baseball/mlb/statistics/team-bullpenera/2023

Looks like only the Dodgers need relief pitching of the quality the Nats might offer. Even then, trading Trea and a rental of Max returned two solid major leaguers, plus Donovan Casey and Gerardo Carillo. The Yan Gomes and Josh Harrison trade returned Millas and two guys who have not made it above Wilmington. Daniel Hudson got Mason Thompson and Jordy Barley.

Trevor Williams has another year, but he is part of a thin rotation now. The rotation will probably have no reinforcements from the minors next year. Cavalli will be staring rehab assignments about Spring Training. No reason to expect Cavalli to return before about August. Rochester has no one just now. Maybe Jackson Rutledge will be ready. He has pitched well for Harrisburg, so maybe he will get promoted to Rochester in about a month.

Maybe Rizzo will be able to draft Skenes in July, and maybe he will get to Rochester early next season...and maybe that's a lot of "maybes".

My feeling: trade Williams and one of the relief pitchers. Suffer for the rest of this season watching Corbin, Gray, Gore, and Irvin take starts, along with someone like Corey Abbott. Next season might be a little better with a lot of luck and no injuries.

(Oh, and let the almighty Mets and Phillies choke and flop like dying fish)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #106: June 19, 2023, 01:52:34 PM »
a 100-loss team should sell off every reliever that another team is interested in

what are the odds hunter harvey is pitching for our next playoff team? of course, if i was GM we could be there next year, but with Russo at the helm we're probably 2-3 years out.
Have you emailed your availability to the team? You have our support.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107: June 19, 2023, 02:38:38 PM »

I think of myself as a ridiculous optimist but I think 2025 is the earliest we could be near 2012. That means at most 1 year of contention with a back end of Harvey Finny Rainey.  That's their last year of control. It'll be Thompson and maybe one of Henry or Cavalli as the bullpen A

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #108: June 19, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »
We should be fighting for 80 wins next year. Wood should be in the majors. Cavalli will be back but on an innings limit, Gore and Gray another year stronger. Guys like Jake Bennett, Cole Henry should have some MLB experience. We can add some real MLB bats and sneak our way to 70-80 wins and then basically lock in 100 from 2025-2030.

Offline welch

« Reply #109: June 19, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
We should be fighting for 80 wins next year. Wood should be in the majors. Cavalli will be back but on an innings limit, Gore and Gray another year stronger. Guys like Jake Bennett, Cole Henry should have some MLB experience. We can add some real MLB bats and sneak our way to 70-80 wins and then basically lock in 100 from 2025-2030.

I, too, think next year's team should go for a .500 season, a bit like 2011. Cavalli will miss about half the season working back to the majors. Maybe Rutledge will do well enough to get to the majors around June. The team will be extra careful with Cole Henry, maybe getting him to Rochester late in the season. Bennett just made Wilmington, so he looks more likely a 2025 pitcher, if everything goes well.

The Nats should look for a slugging outfielder free agent, the next Jayson Werth, or a slugging 1B or 3B. Two out of the three.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #110: June 19, 2023, 03:40:13 PM »
Keep in mind that Harvey has pitched a grand total of 360 innings midway through his eleventh pro season. He could still develop more. Finnegan is past that stage of his career.

I think you looked up a different Harvey

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112: June 19, 2023, 03:56:21 PM »
I think you looked up a different Harvey
he meant minors and majors when he said 11 years of pro ball. Ithink Finnegan is around twice that plus anothet 117 in college.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114: June 20, 2023, 02:45:47 PM »
Jeimer landing spot speculation from Mark Feinsand at MLB.com:
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/potential-trade-fits-for-players-on-the-rise

Candelario has rebounded nicely from his disappointing 2022 season, particularly in the past five weeks, as he’s posted a 1.008 OPS since May 15 to go along with his plus defense (his 7 outs above average rank in the 98th percentile at the hot corner). The 29-year-old is owed about $3 million for the remainder of the season and is slated to become a free agent this winter.

Mentions Mariners, Phillies, and MArlins

Offline Slateman

« Reply #115: June 20, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »
Jeimer landing spot speculation from Mark Feinsand at MLB.com:
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/potential-trade-fits-for-players-on-the-rise

Mentions Mariners, Phillies, and MArlins
Twins and Yankees too.

Third base has been pretty bad this year. Candelario should be an all star. His trade stock is going to climb

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #116: June 20, 2023, 05:11:48 PM »
Phillies make no sense. Harper will be shifting at 1B.  Bohm and Sosa for 3B.

Offline welch

« Reply #117: June 20, 2023, 06:58:22 PM »
Yankees seem unlikely. One of their top prospects is a 3B. See Oswald Peraza: https://www.milb.com/player/oswald-peraza-672724. He's on their 40-man roster.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #118: June 20, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »
Yankees seem unlikely. One of their top prospects is a 3B. See Oswald Peraza: https://www.milb.com/player/oswald-peraza-672724. He's on their 40-man roster.
Peraza is a short stop who is currently in Triple A because he was hitting .189

If they trade for Candelario, they're DFAing Donaldson

Offline welch

« Reply #119: June 20, 2023, 09:12:02 PM »
Peraza is a short stop who is currently in Triple A because he was hitting .189

If they trade for Candelario, they're DFAing Donaldson

Peraza is listed as the 3B for Scranton, the Yankees AAA team. He is hitting about .300 there. Anthony Volpe is their young shortstop, but only hitting .189. Peraza did play in about a dozen games with the Yankees, hitting just less than .190. He looks like their 3B of the future and maybe sooner.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120: June 20, 2023, 09:19:41 PM »
Peraza is listed as the 3B for Scranton, the Yankees AAA team. He is hitting about .300 there. Anthony Volpe is their young shortstop, but only hitting .189. Peraza did play in about a dozen games with the Yankees, hitting just less than .190. He looks like their 3B of the future and maybe sooner.
yanks are a win now team if they're trading at the deadline. Unless both Volpe and Peraza are hitting in the majors now, they will always try dealing for short term help when they are contending

Offline Slateman

« Reply #121: June 20, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »
yanks are a win now team if they're trading at the deadline. Unless both Volpe and Peraza are hitting in the majors now, they will always try dealing for short term help when they are contending
This plus Peraza is a elite defender at short and they dont want to crush their superstar prospect in Volpe. Donaldson is literally talking about retiring. The Yankees offense consists of Judge, sometimes Rizzo, and role players who cant perform. Theyre only trying him at third so they can use him as a utility infider and hope he maybe gets hot.

Candelario is perfect for the Yankees. They have nothing at third and need to get more offense in the lineup. They will probably look to trade Torres in the offseason, push Volpe over to 2nd, and play Peraza at shortstop next season.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #122: June 20, 2023, 10:34:18 PM »
What are the odds the Yankees would give us Tyler Hardman? Power hitting CI currently at AA, led the AFL in home runs last year. MILB has him as the Yankees #18 prospect.

Offline welch

« Reply #123: June 20, 2023, 10:47:46 PM »
Cashman is talking about getting a slugging outfielder. They just activated Bader for CF, but there is no clear timeline for Judge to return. They might need a 3B like Candelario since they want Peraza to polish his game in AAA, but they still have LaMaheu. They seem committed to Volpe at SS.

Among other flip-able Nats, will there be a better time to rid the team of Robles? His average is up and his OPS is about .750. And he continues to make the same brainless plays.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124: June 20, 2023, 10:55:27 PM »
It's going to take at least a hot month of hitting by Robles for teams to think that the injury is not bothering him and that the first month"s hitting wasn't a fluke.