Author Topic: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon  (Read 7840 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: MacKenzie Gore Vidal Sassoon
« Reply #25: August 03, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
God I hated that song.

Are you old enough to have heard it in the Summer of 1967? "Love Summer" it was. And I hated that song, too.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #26: August 03, 2022, 07:43:34 PM »
Are you old enough to have heard it in the Summer of 1967? "Love Summer" it was. And I hated that song, too.

Both the writer and the singer had the Alexandria local connection

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: August 03, 2022, 10:20:09 PM »
https://friarsonbase.com/2022/08/01/padres-mackenzie-gore-injury-update-may-not-back-september/

So, basically, maybe he can take Grays spot when they shut him down

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: August 13, 2022, 02:20:51 PM »
Played catch yesterday

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #29: August 13, 2022, 04:48:33 PM »
Played catch yesterday

According to 'Nationals News' it was 'stellar' catch... :hysterical:

Offline imref

« Reply #30: August 13, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »
If he’s only just playing catch now, he’s not coming back this season

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: August 13, 2022, 04:59:20 PM »
If he’s only just playing catch now, he’s not coming back this season
tell that to Garcia. From what I see, he can't catch or throw

Offline Slateman

« Reply #32: August 13, 2022, 05:12:01 PM »
I stand by my prediction: Gore will always be injured. The Nats will keep him a starter for four years and then let him go. Another team will convert him to a reliever and he will be the next Andrew Miller

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #33: August 13, 2022, 06:52:09 PM »
Risk on Gore is high. Reward is high. With as horrible as our our pitching is, I’m fine with them going for the super high upside guy.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #34: August 13, 2022, 06:56:33 PM »
Risk on Gore is high. Reward is high. With as horrible as our our pitching is, I’m fine with them going for the super high upside guy.
Thats the problem with this trade. The entire package is far too heavily dependant on the Nationals' player development.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: August 13, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »
Thats the problem with this trade. The entire package is far too heavily dependant on the Nationals' player development.
all ceiling no floor

Offline Slateman

« Reply #36: August 13, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »
all ceiling no floor
Pretty much. Hassell has a floor of a decent, light hitting centerfielder.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #37: August 13, 2022, 07:20:18 PM »

Like when the skins would trade down for pics and leave someone like JJ Watt on the board

Offline imref

« Reply #38: August 13, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »
Zuck:
MacKenzie Gore made 25 throws from 75 feet this afternoon. The left-hander, also part of last week’s trade with the Padres, is slowly ramping his arm back up after landing on the IL with inflammation in his elbow. Martinez said he’s next scheduled to throw up to 90 feet.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #39: August 13, 2022, 11:00:15 PM »
all ceiling no floor

this is a crazy take that basically only Slate is saying. Gore and Abrams are very advanced. Abrams is high floor and ceiling for a prospect. Gore has risks that have cropped up in the last year.

I’m not sure what mythical high floor and ceiling packages you all are comparing to this package - the Cardinals package that they wouldn’t even offer? 

In fact, Gray Ruiz Gore Abrams are as advanced as prospects as you’re ever going to land in a TDL deal

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: August 13, 2022, 11:03:39 PM »
this is a crazy take that basically only Slate is saying. Gore and Abrams are very advanced. Abrams is high floor and ceiling for a prospect. Gore has risks that have cropped up in the last year.

I’m not sure what mythical high floor and ceiling packages you all are comparing to this package - the Cardinals package that they wouldn’t even offer?
Agree based on looking at his stats. Decent rookie year.  I know he finished worse than he started but a 4.50 ERA and 4.12 FIP is just fine. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gorema01.shtml

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: August 13, 2022, 11:23:25 PM »

In fact, Gray Ruiz Gore Abrams are as advanced as prospects as you’re ever going to land in a TDL deal
not my take at all on the ruiz deal. Gray hit problems but I was a big fan of him as well. Abrams will be an mlb regular, and probably Haskell too, but Gore has slipped and is injured, so maybe hold off on his #1 / #2 status. As for the rest of the deal, I am nothing but enthused about it, but you can't say those were not upside plays.

Ultimately, the Gormans and the Carlsons weren't on the table, so maybe this deal was the most likely to yield a couple of mlb regulars of quality, but I still think this deal was more about what guys could become than the likeliest minimum. That's at least what I meant. With the usual I may be an idiot . You know this stuff  and appreciate being told I am offbase

Offline Slateman

« Reply #42: August 13, 2022, 11:54:16 PM »
There really isnt enough professional experience to determine Abrams will be. Baseball ia filled with speedy guys who couldnt put it together. We have one in Victor Robles.

He has an enormous ceiling. He could be Trea Turner. But he could just as easily become Robles or Bubba Starling.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #43: August 13, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »
Anyway, if this dude is just playing catch, I dont see any reason to pitch him this season.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: August 14, 2022, 06:42:08 AM »
Anyway, if this dude is just playing catch, I dont see any reason to pitch him this season.
I don't see a reason not too as long as he is not hurting.  He is on the injured list so I believe this time is all counting toward service time.  Will be a few weeks at least and I don't think the minor league seasons run as long as they did last year.  I suppose the alternative would be having him in Florida fall camp.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #45: August 14, 2022, 10:39:08 AM »
not my take at all on the ruiz deal. Gray hit problems but I was a big fan of him as well. Abrams will be an mlb regular, and probably Haskell too, but Gore has slipped and is injured, so maybe hold off on his #1 / #2 status. As for the rest of the deal, I am nothing but enthused about it, but you can't say those were not upside plays.

Ultimately, the Gormans and the Carlsons weren't on the table, so maybe this deal was the most likely to yield a couple of mlb regulars of quality, but I still think this deal was more about what guys could become than the likeliest minimum. That's at least what I meant. With the usual I may be an idiot . You know this stuff  and appreciate being told I am offbase

The others were upside plays. Tremendous upside. But there's some narrative that has emerged that we selected a "high ceiling, low floor" trade package. That's simply not the case if you are comparing to other potential trade packages.

There's always risk in prospects. All the prospect lists list every prospect as "high" or "extreme" risk, I've never seen a "low" risk prospect, lol.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: August 14, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »
The others were upside plays. Tremendous upside. But there's some narrative that has emerged that we selected a "high ceiling, low floor" trade package. That's simply not the case if you are comparing to other potential trade packages.

There's always risk in prospects. All the prospect lists list every prospect as "high" or "extreme" risk, I've never seen a "low" risk prospect, lol.
you win :)

I think a lower risk package with less potential for high return would have been built around more AAA and early majors talent, but, provided Gore's medical records are sound, Abrams and Gore fit that profile.

Offline imref

« Reply #47: August 29, 2022, 07:42:18 AM »
Zuck yesterday:
MacKenzie Gore came out of yesterday's bullpen session feeling well. He'll throw another one in a couple of days, then they'll come up with a plan to build him up vs. live hitters and eventually start for the Nats before season's end.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #48: August 29, 2022, 08:09:40 AM »
Too soon!!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: August 29, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »
So, in case anyone isnt keeping track

One of the pieces in the Juan Soto trade will end the season on a rehab assignment.

Two of the pieces cant hit their weights at their respective level.

The other two are in Low A ball.