Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman 5 year/$10M personal-services contract, to begin once playing...  (Read 39383 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
“.302 (13-for-43) with five doubles and four RBIs since his return.”

But hey, everyone thinks he’s done and Matt Adams is Babe Ruth.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Well, he's done now.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

He's done because he can't stay on the field. He can still hit but with his bad feet he needs to be a DH. I've been calling for him to be traded to the AL for two years now.  But that's all over now, he'll be on the IL until after the trade deadline and there is no chance we pick up his option year.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

:hysterical:  I'm sure people have posted that

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
He's done because he can't stay on the field. He can still hit but with his bad feet he needs to be a DH. I've been calling for him to be traded to the AL for two years now.  But that's all over now, he'll be on the IL until after the trade deadline and there is no chance we pick up his option year.

Do you seriously think he would agree to be traded?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online imref

:hysterical:  I'm sure people have posted that

ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Do you seriously think he would agree to be traded?

Of course. Why wouldn't he? He would be able to control where he ended up and more importantly he could revitalize his career. As noted below his numbers at the plate indicate that he still has a lot of value to a contending them, but he should not be standing on those bad feet all night. If he had any love of the game at all he'd have been begging to move to the AL.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Online imref

Of course. Why wouldn't he? He would be able to control where he ended up and more importantly he could revitalize his career. As noted below his numbers at the plate indicate that he still has a lot of value to a contending them, but he should not be standing on those bad feet all night. If he had any love of the game at all he'd have been begging to move to the AL.

Zimmerman has said on more than one occasion that he only wants to be a Nat.  I think he retires after this season.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Dude takes 2 months off every year and hits .300 for 5 games before he get's hurt again and people want to ignore what a freaking lost cause he is. 

It's like the Nats saying they have been the best team in baseball since May 24th.  The season started in March for freaks sake!  And you've been playing the Little Sisters of the Poor since May 24th until this series.

Small sample sizes ignore the big picture...Zimm is hitting .246 with an OPS under .700 with 3 home runs and is being paid $18MM.  And he's a freaking nightmare in the field...

We can't trade him...nobody is MLB is dumb or desperate enough to take on that contract.

Jeebus...I can't wait for him to be gone...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zimmerman has said on more than one occasion that he only wants to be a Nat.  I think he retires after this season.

Retires instead of playing for several more seasons as a DH? Is playing for the Nats really that special?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
If he buys?     :)

He wouldn't lower himself to hang with us...

Now, Howie...he'd lower himself to hang with us!   :D

Online nfotiu

I've had bouts of plantar fasciitis over the years.  Standing never inflamed it.  It was bad running, sprinting, jogging, jumping and bad taking the first steps in the morning or after sitting around all day.   I don't think DHing makes makes much of a difference in staying healthy.

I actually think being on your feet a bit keeping your tendons loose is better than sitting around all game and sprinting a few times a game.

Online imref

Retires instead of playing for several more seasons as a DH? Is playing for the Nats really that special?

grew up in Virginia, was our first draft pick, hosts his annual MS charity event at Nats park and has a charitable foundation here, plays close to his mom, has a family now in Arlington.

Besides, would anyone give him a contract more lucrative than the personal services contract?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I've had bouts of plantar fasciitis over the years.  Standing never inflamed it.  It was bad running, sprinting, jogging, jumping and bad taking the first steps in the morning or after sitting around all day.   I don't think DHing makes makes much of a difference in staying healthy.

Oh please, I'm sure that actually running and cutting are worse than standing, but sitting for 170 minutes out of a 180 minute game is definitely less likely to lead to injuries.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
grew up in Virginia, was our first draft pick, hosts his annual MS charity event at Nats park and has a charitable foundation here, plays close to his mom, has a family now in Arlington.

Besides, would anyone give him a contract more lucrative than the personal services contract?

Look at his numbers in 2017 and 2018 and look at the numbers for the regular designated hitters, fully healthy he's an upgrade for almost every team.

Online nfotiu

Oh please, I'm sure that actually running and cutting are worse than standing, but sitting for 170 minutes out of a 180 minute game is definitely less likely to lead to injuries.
I disagree.  Sitting around letting everything tighten up and then sprinting a few times a game is probably worse.

Online imref

Look at his numbers in 2017 and 2018 and look at the numbers for the regular designated hitters, fully healthy he's an upgrade for almost every team.

but he can't stay healthy.  He's getting hurt running to first.

Offline Natsinpwc

but he can't stay healthy.  He's getting hurt running to first.
Yea. No one would sign him to be DH.

Offline LoveAngelos

This team offense has a big hole in it with Zimm playing and the players know it and their play shows it

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
Oh hell no...  :evil:

Wouldn't you like to play "short toss" with him?

Offline dracnal

I disagree.  Sitting around letting everything tighten up and then sprinting a few times a game is probably worse.

I think you're right on this. My wife has had bouts with it over the years. It's definitely much worse after you've been sitting around, unless you keep your feet perfectly flat and shins at 90 degree angle to the feet. She had success sleeping with hard boots that force her feet to stay in that position while she slept.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Changing the thread title is confusing. I don't even get the new title.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Changing the thread title is confusing. I don't even get the new title.

I think it reflects the change of "where's he helping/hurting us" to "he's gone".