Author Topic: Worst Offensive Performance in Nationals History - 2014 Edition  (Read 10505 times)

Offline whytev

It will be interesting to see how the winner of this series collides with the winner of the wide open other series.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
100% chance crap bag peavy and even bigger crap bag hudson get lit up by any other team

I don't know what it is with crap bag pitchers and this team - it's very frustrating

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Does anyone seriously think Schu said to Span, "hey, you've been a pretty successful leadoff hitter since late June/ July by laying off marginal pitches that dip out of the zone until there are at least 2 strikes on you.  You could do that because you can make contact with anything in the strike zone.  Why don't you start to swing at sinkers that are dipping out of the strike zone?  It's a change from what you are doing, but hope and change is a proven strategy for success."

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Does anyone seriously think Schu said to Span, "hey, you've been a pretty successful leadoff hitter since late June/ July by laying off marginal pitches that dip out of the zone until there are at least 2 strikes on you.  You could do that because you can make contact with anything in the strike zone.  Why don't you start to swing at sinkers that are dipping out of the strike zone?  It's a change from what you are doing, but hope and change is a proven strategy for success."

Haha

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Watch Span's stance in his last at bat.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

after going 0 for a gazilion he probably wanted to try something different - I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing

Offline PC

What am I watching for?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance

Yes there are.  Seems many fans want scapegoats and can't fathom the fault laying at the feet of the players themselves. 

Offline spidernat

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Yes there are.  Seems many fans want scapegoats and can't fathom the fault laying at the feet of the players themselves. 

Who's not blaming the players?

I think we're ALL in agreement that the offense has been root canal in this series - and that the players are responsible for that.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

You're overthinking.  I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "he throws strikes.  Be aggressive, swing a lot."  Or, perhaps, it's just a lack of any coherent strategy at all, which is just as bad.

How do you explain nearly the entire freaking line-up doing it besides Werth?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
You're overthinking.  I'm thinking it's more along the lines of "he throws strikes.  Be aggressive, swing a lot."  Or, perhaps, it's just a lack of any coherent strategy at all, which is just as bad.

Eckstien is back?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

he could have said, "he throws strikes, be aggressive" and it would have been just as wrong.  He beat the Nats outside the strike zone.  My point about Span is he's getting away from what he was doing successfully.  i don't blame the coaches.  there's no way Schu said what I suggested or what you suggested. 

• pissy DC sports fan
There's no way Schu said that, so I guess most of the line-up all just happened to have the same crappy hitting approach out of sheer coincidence.  Yeah, right.

Look, he might not have said it, but he also clearly wasn't doing anything to keep them from taking those kinds of at-bats, which is inexcusable given what happened in game 1.

Offline PC

From Zuckerman about possible lineup changes:

At this point, they may not have a choice. The club is hitting a collective .160 so far in the series, with a paltry .470 OPS. Five lineup regulars are 1-for-10 or worse (Span, LaRoche, Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond and Wilson Ramos).

It's amazing that this is the case and we've lost both games by one run.

Offline PC

Also from Zuckerman:

“I think the guys are pressing a little bit,” hitting coach Rick Schu said. “Culmination of facing some tough pitching. And that can go hand-in-hand with not driving runs in and getting hits. We just have to get back to relaxing and doing what we’ve been doing all year: Going in with an offensive gameplan, sticking to it and not pressing as much.”

So there is a gameplan?  That's good to know.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
The "sticking to it" is a not so subtle jab at the guys who were tapping out and swinging at junk Hudson was throwing below the strike zone.  Yes, there was a game plan, which you can find in Zuckerman and Kilgore's tweets (those are posted in various threads).  The jab is at guys who changed their approach and did not stick to what made them successful.  Look at that pitch chart you put up.  No one got a hit below the strike zone, but look at the swing and misses.  I get you need to expand the plate with 2 strikes and you aren't going to hit pitchers pitches.  But before two strikes, you don't offer at Hudson crud at the bottom of the zone.  No walks by Hudson when he lived outside the zone?  Pathetic.  Take and make him start saying, "they're taking, so I better get the ball in the strike zone."  Then you pound him. 

I can accept Ian's Ks.  That's part of the Ian Desmond package.  What I can't stand is guys who have decent eyes and good contact skills swinging at low pitches when they do not have 2 strikes. 

Offline whytev

The "sticking to it" is a not so subtle jab at the guys who were tapping out and swinging at junk Hudson was throwing below the strike zone.  Yes, there was a game plan, which you can find in Zuckerman and Kilgore's tweets (those are posted in various threads).  The jab is at guys who changed their approach and did not stick to what made them successful.  Look at that pitch chart you put up.  No one got a hit below the strike zone, but look at the swing and misses.  I get you need to expand the plate with 2 strikes and you aren't going to hit pitchers pitches.  But before two strikes, you don't offer at Hudson crud at the bottom of the zone.  No walks by Hudson when he lived outside the zone?  Pathetic.  Take and make him start saying, "they're taking, so I better get the ball in the strike zone."  Then you pound him. 

I can accept Ian's Ks.  That's part of the Ian Desmond package.  What I can't stand is guys who have decent eyes and good contact skills swinging at low pitches when they do not have 2 strikes.

This. I have to say I'm pretty shocked and disappointed where Span is concerned.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
From Zuckerman about possible lineup changes:

It's amazing that this is the case and we've lost both games by one run.

Our pitching is amazing

That's why if the bats can come alive, even a little - we're in business

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ramos has looked lost for weeks. Way past time to give Lobaton a start.

Offline UMDNats

Honestly, Saturday is probably the worst offensive performance in Nationals history. I think you can lock this thread.

Offline spidernat

Let's hold off for one more game.   :stir:

Offline whytev

Ramos has looked lost for weeks. Way past time to give Lobaton a start.

Once more just because!

• pissy DC sports fan

It appears as if you were right, but it begs the question why the players won't listen to the coaching staff.  Still troubling.