Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2  (Read 19441 times)

Offline PC

Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 2
« Reply #375: June 27, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
not trying to be a jerk, but are you and sf reading my posts?  i'm not sticking up for the offense, trust me they deserved to be blamed and I'm doing just that.

but at the same time, when your starting pitcher gives up 4 runs in just five innings, you're not being put in a good position to win the game.  that's all.  and you don't see lannan complaining about his lack of support (which has been one of the worst in the league since '07) and he's lost games where he's only given up one or two runs.  last two nights, we've had terrible offense and terrible starting pitching.  

I'm reading your posts but I put ZERO percent of the blame on the pitching until the offense scores four runs.  From four runs on, it's a sliding scale of blame. This isn't soccer they're playing.  You have to score runs to win because "nil" games don't happen very often.

I was watching the Braves-Red Sox game, this afternoon and Vasquez pitched a gem, gave up one run in 7 2/3 innings and lost the game, 1-0.  This is the extreme case of pitching controlling the size of the loss but that all Vasquez was really doing today.