Author Topic: MLB StatCast - New Data Collection Emphasis  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
MLB StatCast - New Data Collection Emphasis
« Topic Start: April 21, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
MLB is starting a new data collection process on the abilities and performance of MLB players.  The 1st game implemented is tonight's Nats vs Cards game on MLB.  All teams will use this performance collection methods.  But tonight is the 1st game - on MLB
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/119234412/statcast-technology-debut-2015-cardinals-nationals-mlb-network

Offline pazzo83

Re: MLB StatCast - New Data Collection Emphasis
« Reply #1: April 21, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
Is this data going to be made publicly available?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: April 21, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
No.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3: April 22, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
So, how long until the start tweaking the cameras rending the data they've already captured meaningless?  So far StatCast is making me pine for Joe Morgan to make a comeback to being a MLB commentator.  At least he was entertaining from time to time.  StatCast is a borefest.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: April 22, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
So, how long until the start tweaking the cameras rending the data they've already captured meaningless?  So far StatCast is making me pine for Joe Morgan to make a comeback to being a MLB commentator.  At least he was entertaining from time to time.  StatCast is a borefest.

Meh.  I didn't hate what little I saw of it.  I think it was a good start and they'll improve upon it. With MLB Network hitting its stride, I'd anticipate a lot more of it going forward.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: April 22, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
The only way they can improve it is to throw it in the trash.  They're going to kill a fun game trying to quantify it on screen.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: April 22, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
The only way they can improve it is to throw it in the trash.  They're going to kill a fun game trying to quantify it on screen.

I don't think so.  Baseball seems to be a sport that embraces the more scientific fan and I think this will bring more fans into the game.  It didn't really take away from my "viewing experience" and if I really want to have fun I'll go pick up my mitt and throw the ball around.

I found it way more compelling than listening to Carp drone on and on about St. Louis.

Any way you can bring in new fans is a bonus.  I think we should also have the MLB Network hire you, Slateman, Knorr and Halfsmokes in a four-man booth so we can listen to Slate and HalfSmokes drone on-and-on about how things should be and you and Knorr can provide commentary on their commentary.  I'd watch that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: April 22, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »
I don't think so.  Baseball seems to be a sport that embraces the more scientific fan and I think this will bring more fans into the game.  It didn't really take away from my "viewing experience" and if I really want to have fun I'll go pick up my mitt and throw the ball around.

If it was interesting I'd agree with you but from what they've shown so far most of this is just going to confuse your average viewer, get people that failed community college math frothed up to introduce more noise into the baseball world, and slowly turn MLB into the NFL.  How long until Home Depot has a CG boombox or add in centerfield during a pitching change?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: April 22, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
I'm worried they are going to overload broadcasts with it. There's an awesome place for it especially in terms of analysis, but hopefully it's a little bit less intrusive once they roll it out and aren't promo-ing it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: April 22, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
They should have released it last season,so everybody could appreciate the awesomeness of Derek Jeter.

Offline Clever

« Reply #10: April 22, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »
Surely there's a way they could develop a calculation method for GRiT.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #11: April 22, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
I want this data.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: April 22, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
I want this data.

Have you tried extracting the PitchFx data?  That's pretty straightforward. The "StatCast" data is primarily video based (and quite large) so I don't see them ever accidentally making it available like they did PitchFx.