Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams  (Read 24041 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Following the Minor League Teams
« Reply #50: April 12, 2019, 09:49:39 AM »
Went to the Hagerstown Suns home opener last night. Suns had a 5 run 1st, and went from there to an 8-2 win over the Asheville Tourists (Rockies). It’s only one game, but a few things I noticed:

They had good at bats, not only hitting, but patience.  At one point with the bases loaded, the Suns 3B (Gilbert Lara) had the patience to draw a bases-loaded walk, instead of trying to be a big hero and swinging for the fences. Kyle Merinconz was impressive with two hard hit doubles.

Relief pitcher Carson Teel looked good, with 5 strike outs over 2.2 innings, with 1 earned run.

The Suns also took advantage of a couple of Asheville mental errors (overthrowing a base, missing the cut off man) with some heads up base running.

Every Thursday game is a Thirsty Thursday, with several brands of 16oz beers going for only $3.   I myself enjoyed a couple Yeunglings at that price. :)  Twelve ounce cans of brands like Bud and a Miller Lite are $2, so Thursdays have some good beer bargains.

Sadly the ballpark itself is still pretty crummy, although it appears that the bathrooms under the grandstand at least got a good power washing in the off season. Food selection is also pretty limited. But prices are cheap, the staff is cheerful, parking is plentiful and free, and it’s a night of baseball.