Author Topic: Best baseball movies of all time  (Read 4154 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Best baseball movies of all time
« Reply #25: July 02, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
Bang the Drum Slowly.  Early DeNiro.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: July 02, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »

Classic

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: July 02, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Forgot all about that one. Gotta watch that.

Offline madj55

« Reply #28: July 02, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
The Rookie, Rookie of the Year, Mr. 3000, The Sandlot, Fever Pitch, Angels in the Outfield.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #29: July 03, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Bull Durham is always #1 with me.  Field of Dreams a close second.  Pride of the Yankees (Gary Cooper was perfect).

If you want to see a little known but fun film try IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING with Ray Milland.  A college professor is trying to invent a substance for pest control.  Hes about to get it when a baseball goes thru his lab window and destroys everything.  The baseball now soaked in the solution REPELS wood.  So he takes the liquid and tries out for a baseball team.  Its hilarious.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: July 03, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Bull Durham is always #1 with me.  Field of Dreams a close second.  Pride of the Yankees (Gary Cooper was perfect).

If you want to see a little known but fun film try IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING with Ray Milland.  A college professor is trying to invent a substance for pest control.  Hes about to get it when a baseball goes thru his lab window and destroys everything.  The baseball now soaked in the solution REPELS wood.  So he takes the liquid and tries out for a baseball team.  Its hilarious.

I'm pretty sure I've see the last one you mention.    It is pretty comical.   Cast member Paul Douglas also played the team manager in "Angels in the Outfield" (1951) ...  filmed at Forbes Field :)  ...  referenced on page 1 of this thread.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #31: July 03, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've see the last one you mention.    It is pretty comical.   Cast member Paul Douglas also played the team manager in "Angels in the Outfield" (1951) ...  filmed at Forbes Field :)  ...  referenced on page 1 of this thread.

Yes!  The original Angels in the Outfield is a great movie.  The latter one with glover was good but not as good as the original.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #32: July 03, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
Field of Dreams is the perfect litmus test for a relationship. If you're in a relationship with someone who doesn't get it or doesn't like it, dump them and move on.  :D
I like Field of Dreams, but I think there is an age limit on how much one can relate to the plot. It's a very Baby Boomer type of movie. Boomer gets a second chance to bond with distant Greatest Generation father. Probably resonated with lots of Boomers who had issues with their WWII veteran fathers, but beyond that, I dunno.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #33: July 03, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »
I don't think there's any age limit on the father/son dynamic. Not to say I think the movie aged well. I don't.

I like Field of Dreams, but I think there is an age limit on how much one can relate to the plot. It's a very Baby Boomer type of movie. Boomer gets a second chance to bond with distant Greatest Generation father. Probably resonated with lots of Boomers who had issues with their WWII veteran fathers, but beyond that, I dunno.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #34: July 04, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »
Echoing the suggestion of Sugar, look for "El Pelotero" on Netflix - it covers the shenanigans surrounding international signings in the DR.

Also from Netflix, look for "Battered Bastards of Baseball"

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #35: July 04, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »
Oh, man... I watched that last Summer. Great movie (Battered Bastards of Baseball, I mean).
Echoing the suggestion of Sugar, look for "El Pelotero" on Netflix - it covers the shenanigans surrounding international signings in the DR.

Also from Netflix, look for "Battered Bastards of Baseball"

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: July 04, 2015, 07:55:02 PM »
Pride of the Yankees is on MLB network right now.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #37: July 04, 2015, 10:49:36 PM »
Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #38: July 04, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
Respectfully disagree - nice movie and I love Vin Scully and J.K. Simmons but the entire plot is ridiculous (perfect game in his final game fighting injury to win back his girlfriend...couldn't it have also been to save earth from zombies?).

It's a great movie, enjoy it more than the other Costners tbh.

Offline HTT

« Reply #39: July 05, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Bull Durham is my favorite of the genre.  I also like Sugar, Field of Dreams and Major League. 

One movie not mentioned was Mr. Baseball with Tom Selleck as a washed up Major leaguer playing in Japan.  Not a great movie, but worth watching once. 

I was not a fan of The Natural.  I read the book first, and loved that.  They, of course, changed the ending and cut out tons of stuff to make the movie. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #40: July 05, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
"You're killin' me Smalls."

I have the T Shirt

Field of Dreams, Major League and The Sandlot

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #41: July 05, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »

A fun movie, for sure. Not necessarily a good movie but fun.

It's great to be reminded about all these movies (and learn about new ones)....gotta catch up this summer.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #42: July 07, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »

My dad was a pre-boomer by a small degree.  Born April 28th, 1941.  He spent three tours and a total of four years in Vietnam. Trust me when I say it's not just WWII that made fathers distant.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: July 07, 2015, 10:03:50 AM »
For Love Of The Game (best baseball action, imo)

The Sandlot

League of their Own

Major League

Offline dracnal

« Reply #44: July 07, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
Also, gotta second HTT.  Mr. Baseball falls into the category of Major League for me.  Funny, not incredibly serious, and an overall feel good movie about an egotistical jerk who gets taken down a few pegs, faces some massive culture shock and comes out stronger at the end for it.

'You have a hole in your swing.'

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #45: July 07, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
For Love Of The Game (best baseball action, imo)

Is that the one that visualizes how the pitcher clears his mind before throwing a pitch? Because that part was really cool.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: July 07, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Yes it is!

"Clear the mechanism"

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #47: July 07, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Bull Durham
The Sandlot
Moneyball
Major League
42 was one of the best movies ever made
I liked the Sandlot best.
42 was also very good and Major League was hilarious.
42 was an excellent movie. Hugely uncomfortable to watch in spots and frankly, that's one of the best things it could have done.  Hard to watch that sort of behavior and recognize that it was considered normal and okay at one point...
42 was on cable TV's BET (Black Entertainment Television) today from 5:23pm-8:30pm. It will be repeated Wednesday July 8 from 1:41 pm to 4:48 pm (which means 59 minutes of commercials for a 128-minute film.) I saw a few minutes of it tonight, and BET did not edit out the use of the N-word.

BET often changes its published schedule, so your on screen cable guide may show it being aired more often, now that BET has rights to it.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #48: July 11, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
42, the 2013 drama about Jackie Robinson, will be on cable TV's BET (Black Entertainment Television) today Saturday July 11, 2015 from 5:50pm-8:55pm. It will be repeated Sunday July 12, 2015 from 1:35 pm to 4:40 pm (which means 59 minutes of commercials for a 128-minute film.) BET did not edit out the use of the N-word.

BET often changes its published schedule, so your on screen cable guide may show it being aired more often, now that BET has rights to it.