Author Topic: Follow the Prospects Master Thread  (Read 111402 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects Master Thread
« Reply #425: September 30, 2023, 05:53:47 PM »
you may have noticed I've added light bulb icons to a number of threads that are not FTP or otherwise limited to a player. I've bumped a few that are not past tense. I think it will stimulate minor league discussion if these threads are easier to find.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #426: October 05, 2023, 12:06:12 AM »
Derek Hill elects free agency

Offline imref

« Reply #427: November 09, 2023, 08:44:07 AM »
Here’s the list of new minor league free agents:

CATCHER
Low-A – Wilmer Perez

INFIELDERS
AAA – Matt Adams, Frankie Tostado, Richie Martin, Jake Noll
AA – José Sánchez
High-A – Nick Shumpert

OUTFIELDERS
AA – Yasel Antuna, Donovan Casey

LHPs
AAA – Alemao Hernandez, Sean Doolittle, Alex Troop

RHPs
AAA – Junior Fernandez, Hobie Harris, Odalvi Javier, Daniel Mengden, Gerson Moreno, Joel Peguero, Malvin Pena, Wily Peralta, Tommy Romero, Jackson Tetreault
AA – Gerardo Carrillo, Ronald Herrera, Patrick Ruotolo, Nash Walters
High-A – Dakota Donovan, Matt Merrill
Low-A – Pedro González
DSL – Jose Brito

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #428: November 09, 2023, 08:51:59 AM »
looking thorough that list, I think only Carrillo was still on the MLB top 30.

I'd probably try to bring back Tetreault and be willing to provide Noll or Adams a landing spot if they can't find a place and want to play in AAA. Other than that, it's all "you can go your own way."

Offline imref

« Reply #429: November 09, 2023, 10:21:22 AM »
looking thorough that list, I think only Carrillo was still on the MLB top 30.

I'd probably try to bring back Tetreault and be willing to provide Noll or Adams a landing spot if they can't find a place and want to play in AAA. Other than that, it's all "you can go your own way."
Tostado is a candidate for a return as well. They promoted. him to AAA late last year and he held his own. .254 /.333 /.408   with 2HRs in 71 ABs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #430: November 09, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »
.741 OPS from a 1st baseman doesn't scream prospect or late bloomer.

Offline imref

« Reply #431: March 04, 2024, 11:26:08 AM »
Top 30 list on page 1 updated based on https://www.mlb.com/prospects/nationals/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #432: March 09, 2024, 12:38:47 PM »
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/10-washington-nationals-prospects-to-know-beyond-the-top-30-in-2024/

This is not behind the paywall :woop:

Lists as BA's next 10. You can break down the list into 4 blocks:
- Fallen from grace guys who were formerly top 30.  - Lara (31), Pineda (32), Cronin (33), Aldo Ramirez (40);
- Surprise risers - Tyler Schoff (34);
- Off the radar guys - Matt Suggs (35 - C, A+), Lyle Luckham (36 - RHP, AA), Onix Vega (39 - C, AAA), b
 - Young'ns at the complex level or a cup of coffee at  F-burg - Nick Peoples (37 - LF, FCL (19 years old, 2022 #12 pick, $175K -bonus), Mota (38 - SS/3B, A). 

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #433: March 27, 2024, 07:53:30 AM »
I've been thinking of starting to post monthly summaries for the prospects in the master thread. Really just a stat line summary, not actual writeups.

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit since the end of last season as I noticed an issue where I'd be following updates posted for a prospect in their corresponding FTP thread, which usually only contain highlights or promotion/demotion news. This led to a phenomenon where I'd read all of these great highlights for a prospect only to go to their Fangraphs page and see they hadn't been doing all that great after all.

By adding monthly summaries I think it could help keep any progression or lack thereof more clear, and potentially help contribute to further conversation in the threads.

Any thoughts on doing something like this?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #434: March 27, 2024, 08:27:56 AM »
I've been thinking of starting to post monthly summaries for the prospects in the master thread. Really just a stat line summary, not actual writeups.

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit since the end of last season as I noticed an issue where I'd be following updates posted for a prospect in their corresponding FTP thread, which usually only contain highlights or promotion/demotion news. This led to a phenomenon where I'd read all of these great highlights for a prospect only to go to their Fangraphs page and see they hadn't been doing all that great after all.

By adding monthly summaries I think it could help keep any progression or lack thereof more clear, and potentially help contribute to further conversation in the threads.

Any thoughts on doing something like this?
It's a bit labor intense, but a good idea. The original hope for the FTP threads was that there would be members who would claim a prospect and post updates about him as he moved through the prospect phase of his career. That would include stats at key points, article links, and profiles from the major prospect writers and sites. Due to a fall off in participation on WNFF, it kind of fell apart, but it still would be ideal to get more frequent updates on at least the top 30 that Imref lists. If there are other interesting prospects on the extended list, then some updates on them would be nice, but that's more a matter of choice  / preference.

For example, when Rodney Theophile had the hot stretch in Fredericksburg a couple of years ago, I made a number of posts where I left not only his numbers but also loose translations of articles from Nicaragua about him and his stuff (95 MPH from the Mosquito coast!). Tyler Schoff is another one of the guys I track a bit after he was flagged as an off-the-radar potential reliever by Longenhagen at Fangraphs. He's not longer off the radar and I think on some top 30 lists.

Perhaps for hitters, monthly and YTD average / obp / SLG, with games or ABs/PAs, IL status, steals and HRs and if you want to get fancy, wOBA. For pitchers, IP and Games, ERA/FIP, Ks and BBs, perhaps WHIP or average against. saves or holds, w-L might also be interesting, up to you.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #435: March 27, 2024, 09:05:16 AM »
Cool, I'll set something up.

On the WNFF participation note, I have no idea where everyone went. The Nationals subreddit has even less activity than this place. One of the reasons I came back here was the lack of any online community anywhere else to discuss the Nats.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #436: March 27, 2024, 09:35:04 AM »
we don't really do much outreach and try to publicize that we are still here. We are down about 85% from our peak post year (around 2011-13), and down closer to 60% from 2018. Part of this is making chicken salad out of the chicken s...t that has been the Nats post-2019. Part of this is probably the growth of X as a way you can engage or follow standard sources or opinionated people. Message boards in general seem to be a bit clunky if you don't know where to find conversations. I don't know how the Dickie Thon Fan Club, USS Mariner, SoSH, or other boards are doing. The only thought I've had is to mention WNFF on other forums when relevant and not obnoxious. I also like to reference other Nats-specific websites and boards when I see they have good content. Our big advantage is that we have longer threads of fan-driven discussion and analysis. As PB69 pointed out, if you wanted a good source for the history of MASN negotiations, our thread was a good source. Ideally, the FTP threads would be similar, as would some of the theme threads like the bullpen discussions or ballpark amenities.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #437: March 27, 2024, 10:24:19 AM »

On the WNFF participation note, I have no idea where everyone went. The Nationals subreddit has even less activity than this place. One of the reasons I came back here was the lack of any online community anywhere else to discuss the Nats.
Team sucks for five years.  Fans disappear. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #438: March 27, 2024, 04:27:39 PM »

nicely done. :clap:

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #439: March 27, 2024, 04:57:28 PM »

Wow, good stuff.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #440: March 27, 2024, 06:17:42 PM »
Thanks all. I'm open to feedback on how the stat lines are presented/other stats to include. I wanted to do FIP for pitchers but that's difficult to calculate across multiple minor league levels as some of the inputs change depending on the league. Same problem for calculating wOBA for hitters. I could have included it with stat lines for each individual level, but I thought that would be a bit too much.

Offline imref

« Reply #441: March 27, 2024, 09:47:07 PM »
thanks Noble!

Offline imref

« Reply #442: March 29, 2024, 02:27:42 PM »
I had to look up Jack Dunn after seeing that he's the starting SS at Rochester today. 20th round pick in 2019 who has steadily moved up through the system. Nothing eye-popping but OK numbers. Has bounced around between AA and AAA the last 2 seasons.  .244   .385   .326 with 15 SBs and 3HRs last season during his time at Rochester.

https://www.milb.com/player/jack-dunn-686639

Offline imref

« Reply #443: April 10, 2024, 11:43:41 PM »
Anyone want to create a thread for Gavin Dugas?  He’s off to a monster start this year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444: April 11, 2024, 09:00:37 AM »
Anyone want to create a thread for Gavin Dugas?  He’s off to a monster start this year.
we have an LSU guy who followed him. Maybe the guy who set up the Crews thread.

Offline imref

« Reply #445: April 14, 2024, 11:25:26 AM »
Dugas in 23 ABs at low-A: .435 BA / 1.145 OPS

Offline imref

« Reply #446: April 18, 2024, 12:05:34 PM »
via @milb

Odds are you haven't seen a performance like the one Phillip Glasser delivered Wednesday for the
@FXBGNats

☑️ 4 hits
☑️ 4 RBIs
☑️ 3 SB

The 2023 10th-round Draft choice by the
@Nationals
 is just the 4th Minor Leaguer since 2005 to hit those marks in a single game.

Offline imref

« Reply #447: April 21, 2024, 01:27:16 PM »
Another pitching prospect to watch: Riley "The Great" Cornelio at Wilmington: 7Ks over 5 innings yesterday, 1 ER, 2H.

Offline imref

« Reply #448: April 23, 2024, 02:45:00 PM »
Yet another pitching prospect to watch: Bryan Polanco at Fredricksburg: 3-0, 2.81 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 13Ks and 11 BBs in 3 starts (16.1 IP)

International FA (Dominican Republic) signed in 2021, played in the DSL in 2021 and 2022 and made just one start in Fredricksburg last year. He's 22.

Offline imref

MLB Pipeline updated our top 30. YoYo and Cavalli switch places. Jacob Young is officially off the prospect list. Armando Cruz enters at #30.