Author Topic: What to trade?  (Read 48251 times)

Offline dshawg77

Re: What to trade for?
« Reply #100: July 14, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
Now that it looks like our TV deal is settled - let's go get Giancarlo Stanton.   :stir:

Ha!
In all seriousness, Angelos will find a way to appeal for eternity.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #101: July 14, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »
Eh, not sure I want Roark in that role. I'd rather try and get him figured out as a starter. Then they can figure out what his playoff role will be best, if any at all.
When Max gets knocked out early in game one or Strasburg in game two he can be long relief.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #102: July 14, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
So you want a guy with an ERA of 7.94 in his first inning pitched, and another reliever who gives up 1.36 homers every 9 innings pitched and whom lefties are hitting .305/.388/.517 against this season to hold a one run lead for anywhere from 2-4 innings in a playoff game?
Not wed to that. Like I said.  I would pick up a starter and a reliever.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #103: July 14, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
So you want a guy with an ERA of 7.94 in his first inning pitched, and another reliever who gives up 1.36 homers every 9 innings pitched and whom lefties are hitting .305/.388/.517 against this season to hold a one run lead for anywhere from 2-4 innings in a playoff game?
Oh, for goodness sake...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #104: July 14, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »
Not wed to that. Like I said.  I would pick up a starter and a reliever.

Except this team needs three relievers and no starters.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #105: July 14, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
Ross and Roark suck. How does adding two more crappy pitchers to the pen fix the pen?

Also, every time Ross pitches, we seem to score ten runs. I'm pretty okay with him starting in the playoff game if he's healthy.

Then he should be our closer.  It pretty much won't matter how many runs he gives up if we score 10 in the 9th.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #106: July 14, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
This guy would be perfect.  He just needs to be converted into a reliever.

http://www.golhu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=69

:hysterical: Call him up!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #107: June 13, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
They got that report from Barry Svrugla. It was said by many sources they wanted 1 MLB ready player for Sale and speculation was it was Turner. I remember seeing it in many places and also on MLB network.
https://www.google.com/nesn.com/2016/12/mlb-rumors-heres-what-nationals-offered-white-sox-for-chris-sale/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/nationals-journal/wp/2016/12/06/nationals-unwilling-to-part-with-trea-turner-lose-out-on-chris-sale/

Google is your friend.

Honestly,  Rizzo should have included Turner in the deal

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: June 13, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
Honestly,  Rizzo should have included Turner in the deal

In addition to Robles. That would have been too much.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #109: June 13, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »
In addition to Robles. That would have been too much.
No, it wouldn't.

That deal is basically Robles and Turner for Chris Sale. Soto has surpassed Robles and Turner is a faster version of Marcus Semien.

For a top 3 LHP in baseball on a reasonable contract for three seasons? Yes please.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: June 13, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
No, it wouldn't.

That deal is basically Robles and Turner for Chris Sale. Soto has surpassed Robles and Turner is a faster version of Marcus Semien.

For a top 3 LHP in baseball on a reasonable contract for three seasons? Yes please.

Well it was giolito and Lopez and Turner and Robles. So really it was Eaton, Turner and Robles for Sale. I haven’t given up on Eaton being good and he’s controllable for a while. And if you think Robles is really expendable, then it’s, say, Realmuto, Turner and Eaton for Sale. Pretty high price.

Online CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #111: June 13, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
This trade deadline, barring any further significant injuries, I think we look at:

Bullpen: See how guys perform over the next month and see who settles into what roles.  I think it's very possible we don't really need to add anybody, although most contenders add at least 1 guy, even if not a major move. 

Rotation: Who do we pitch in a Game 3?  Do you trust Gio in that role again?  He's cost us 2 series so far by choking.  Is it a flukey small sample size, or does he just not have the mental makeup for October?  Maybe there is a vet out there with past postseason success that maybe during the season isn't a #3 ahead of Gio and Roark but might be a good postseason option?

Lineup: I think with Eaton and Murphy back, we're set.  We can't play our best hitters at their ideal spot and need Harper (or Eaton) in CF, but that can't really be solved at the trade deadline.  I also think Eaton/Murphy returning (and later Zimmerman) also takes care of our bench needs.  I'd love to steal another Howie at the deadline, but I'm fine with Difo as the reserve middle infielder, Adams/Reynolds as 1B/LF bats, MAT as a 4th OF, and Goodwin as a 5th OF.  Maybe if MW can't come back and perform we add a catcher? 

Offline Expos

« Reply #112: June 14, 2018, 12:34:11 AM »
Looks like our pen will be Ok.

Doolittle is a beast.
Madson is a wily vet
Solis has pitched well
Miller has been incredible
Collins and Grace are dependable
One of Suero, Kintzler or Kelly can round out the pen

What we desperately need is a catcher but more importantly a starter.

I'd be all over JA Happ personally and with the way Soto has played Robles may be expendable for Realmuto.

Toronto needs a 2B. Miami wants to shed salary

3 way trade:

To Washington:

SP- JA Happ
C- JT Realmuto

To Toronto:

2B- Starlin Castro

To Miami:

OF- Victor Robles

1- Scherzer
2- Strasburg
3- Gio
4- Happ
5- Roark

Doolittle
Madson
Miller
Solis
Collins
Grace
Kelly / Kintzler / Suero

C- Realmuto / Severino
1B- Adams / Reynolds
2B- Murphy / Difo
3B- Rendon
SS- Turner
LF- Soto
CF- Eaton / Taylor
RF- Harper / Goodwin

Now that is a lineup that can do some damage.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #113: June 14, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »

Doolittle is a beast.
Madson is a wily vet
Solis has pitched well

I'd be all over JA Happ personally and with the way Soto has played Robles may be expendable for Realmuto.

3 way trade:

To Washington:

SP- JA Happ
C- JT Realmuto

To Toronto:

2B- Starlin Castro

To Miami:

OF- Victor Robles

1- Scherzer
2- Strasburg
3- Gio
4- Happ
5- Roark

Doolittle
Madson
Miller
Solis
Collins
Grace
Kelly / Kintzler / Suero

C- Realmuto / Severino
1B- Adams / Reynolds
2B- Murphy / Difo
3B- Rendon
SS- Turner
LF- Soto
CF- Eaton / Taylor
RF- Harper / Goodwin

I don't care if Soto hits 40 this year...you do not trade Robles. Are you nuts? I'd rather trade Harper for a shutdown reliever.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #114: June 14, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
I don't care if Soto hits 40 this year...you do not trade Robles. Are you nuts? I'd rather trade Harper for a shutdown reliever.

This!!!!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #115: June 14, 2018, 07:10:04 AM »
Well it was giolito and Lopez and Turner and Robles. So really it was Eaton, Turner and Robles for Sale. I haven’t given up on Eaton being good and he’s controllable for a while. And if you think Robles is really expendable, then it’s, say, Realmuto, Turner and Eaton for Sale. Pretty high price.
Again, easy to live with.

Difo can reproduce what Turner does at SS. So really it's Robles and Eaton for Chris Sale. Easy trade. At his worst, Sale is a 5 WAR pitcher. Judging by last year, he's a Cy Young candidate.

Of course, this is all hindsight. We all thought Turner was going to be the best SS in baseball and that Soto was two to three years away.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #116: June 14, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »

Doolittle is a beast.
Madson is a wily vet
Solis has pitched well

3 way trade:

To Washington:

SP- JA Happ
C- JT Realmuto

To Toronto:

2B- Starlin Castro

To Miami:

OF- Victor Robles

1- Scherzer
2- Strasburg
3- Gio
4- Happ
5- Roark

Doolittle
Madson
Miller
Solis
Collins
Grace
Kelly / Kintzler / Suero

C- Realmuto / Severino
1B- Adams / Reynolds
2B- Murphy / Difo
3B- Rendon
SS- Turner
LF- Soto
CF- Eaton / Taylor
RF- Harper / Goodwin

Several things

1. Why does Toronto care about a second baseman? They're 8 games under .500 in the division with two teams on pace to win over 100 games. They aren't making the playoffs.

2. JA Happ? For one year? Eh, I mean, really? Is this a guy you expect to pitch in the playoffs? Also where does Hellickson fit in once he's off the DL?

3. I don't think Robles is enough of a return to warrant giving up Castro AND JT Realmuto. I think there's a lot of you who are severely underestimating how uncommon a catcher who can OPS over .800 is. To put this in perspective, Realmuto is hitting than 29 other teams' first basemen, and if he were to play first base, he would be fourth amongst all first basemen with at least 200 PA (FYI, I'm including first base for all the naysayers who will complain about his pitch framing. Fine, you can move him to first base).

It's even more compelling when you look at his away split this season,  .302/.385/.542, and his career away from that god awful park: .315/.361/.489. This is elite level production at the catcher position. This is very, very good level production throughout baseball (he is currently 20th in OPS and 14th in wRC+)

So the idea that you're going to get him AND Starlin Castro for a prospect (albeit a highly rated one) is somewhat naive.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #117: June 14, 2018, 08:04:47 AM »
They are not trading Robles. Slateman and others saying that he should be will then be right back next season when Harper leaves Saying Rizzo should be fired for trading Robles. Go somewhere with that. They don't have enough pitching wise to win the WS a year or two ago was their best shot imo. Though they seem really balanced this year.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #118: June 14, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Several things

1. Why does Toronto care about a second baseman? They're 8 games under .500 in the division with two teams on pace to win over 100 games. They aren't making the playoffs.

2. JA Happ? For one year? Eh, I mean, really? Is this a guy you expect to pitch in the playoffs? Also where does Hellickson fit in once he's off the DL?

3. I don't think Robles is enough of a return to warrant giving up Castro AND JT Realmuto. I think there's a lot of you who are severely underestimating how uncommon a catcher who can OPS over .800 is. To put this in perspective, Realmuto is hitting than 29 other teams' first basemen, and if he were to play first base, he would be fourth amongst all first basemen with at least 200 PA (FYI, I'm including first base for all the naysayers who will complain about his pitch framing. Fine, you can move him to first base).

It's even more compelling when you look at his away split this season,  .302/.385/.542, and his career away from that god awful park: .315/.361/.489. This is elite level production at the catcher position. This is very, very good level production throughout baseball (he is currently 20th in OPS and 14th in wRC+)

So the idea that you're going to get him AND Starlin Castro for a prospect (albeit a highly rated one) is somewhat naive.

Sorry you wrote an essay...I wasn't talking about any particular player....I just said you don't trade Robles.

Offline Optics

« Reply #119: June 14, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Robles isn't getting traded nor should he. He and Soto will be the foundation of our OF for the next 5+ years after Harper walks.

I don't see any splashy trades this year. Probably acquire another reliever since that's always the thing teams do at the deadline.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: June 14, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
Sorry you wrote an essay...I wasn't talking about any particular player....I just said you don't trade Robles.
Quoted the wrong person :lol:

On another note, what would it take to get Tyson Ross and Craig Stammen from the Padres? Both are on one year deals and both are posting up good numbers in their away splits. Gets us some rotation depth in case Strasburg takes a while, and gives us a really solid pen when Kintzler comes back.

Mods, need a trade deadline thread with all these combined.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #121: June 14, 2018, 10:50:47 AM »
Quoted the wrong person :lol:

On another note, what would it take to get Tyson Ross and Craig Stammen from the Padres? Both are on one year deals and both are posting up good numbers in their away splits. Gets us some rotation depth in case Strasburg takes a while, and gives us a really solid pen when Kintzler comes back.

Mods, need a trade deadline thread with all these combined.

I was going to say...

I did agree with your post though.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #122: June 14, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
Robles isn't getting traded nor should he. He and Soto will be the foundation of our OF for the next 5+ years after Harper walks.

I don't see any splashy trades this year. Probably acquire another reliever since that's always the thing teams do at the deadline.
I'm not opposed to moving Robles, but he'd better bring back something big. Taylor seems to be adequate for CF.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #123: June 14, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Buffalo return to D.C.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #124: June 14, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
Hopefully, Realmuto. Need another bat with some pop, in a position of strong need. Another solid reliever (like Miller, one that can be "found," not necessarily traded for).