Author Topic: MLB Ballparks Rated  (Read 1507 times)

Offline hotshot

Re: MLB Ballparks Rated
« Reply #50: July 06, 2023, 11:02:22 AM »
Saw loads of Senators games at RFK from 1966 until they departed for Texas.

Always parked my car within a stones throw of the stadium, bought a Gen Admission ticket and was seated in a nice box seat near the field a few innings later. The "ushers"were totally non-caring/oblivious. Several  thousand people rattling around in the place, what did they or anyone else really care?

Offline hohoho

« Reply #51: July 06, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
I liked Milwaukee. Not a great location but stadium was fine.
Me too.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #52: July 07, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »
Saw loads of Senators games at RFK from 1966 until they departed for Texas.

Always parked my car within a stones throw of the stadium, bought a Gen Admission ticket and was seated in a nice box seat near the field a few innings later. The "ushers"were totally non-caring/oblivious. Several  thousand people rattling around in the place, what did they or anyone else really care?

My dad and I did the same before I went off to college in 1966. Yes, the parking lots were a great improvement over Griffith Stadium. We usually got the PEPCO box seats in the mezzanine. Great views, and we were amazed that we could order cokes and hotdogs from mezzanine attendants.

Otherwise, I thought the best seats were in the upper deck behind home plate and spread toward 1B and 3B. The upper deck was rarely full, so fans could crowd down toward the railing and see everything.

I think DC Stadium was the best of the 1960s ballparks, the baseball-football parks. It was shaped better for baseball, but also made a great football stadium. The others -- and I saw many Met games at Shea -- were circular, leaving baseball fans a long way from the game.

(Ah, but nothing matches Griffith Stadium for watching the game. Upper deck seats felt almost like they hung over the field, but they were high enough that the box seats below had a full view of those homers by Roy Sievers or Harmon Killebrew.) 

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #53: July 07, 2023, 01:27:32 PM »
Tailgating at RFK was a plus

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #54: July 07, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Tailgating at RFK was a plus

So's the Swiss flag.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #55: July 08, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »
The one regret I have is never going to Tiger stadium, especially sitting upper deck behind home plate.

Offline blue911

« Reply #56: July 08, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
The one regret I have is never going to Tiger stadium, especially sitting upper deck behind home plate.

The place was built for Butch Hobson.

Offline wj73

« Reply #57: July 08, 2023, 09:49:04 PM »

It was lovely in an historic kind of way. The dugouts were very small - no way everyone could be in them at once, especially with September call ups. I also remember that the upper deck steps were irregular, and that the first step was especially steep. Concession stands and bathrooms were limited.

It was definitely from another era.  I remember when we left thinking that it’d had its glory days, I was glad to have seen it, but it was time to move on.

Offline machpost

« Reply #58: July 10, 2023, 08:51:23 AM »

It was lovely in an historic kind of way. The dugouts were very small - no way everyone could be in them at once, especially with September call ups. I also remember that the upper deck steps were irregular, and that the first step was especially steep. Concession stands and bathrooms were limited.

It was definitely from another era.  I remember when we left thinking that it’d had its glory days, I was glad to have seen it, but it was time to move on.

That reminds me, the upper deck steps at RFK were also steeper than what is considered acceptable by present-day standards, and they lacked handrails entirely. I can remember the pain involved with walking up and down those steps with a sprained knee one time.