Author Topic: Computer Tips  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Computer Tips
« Topic Start: December 28, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
I have a new laptop that is suppose to be user friendly.  But the new version of Windows has bells and whistles I could do without.  I'm trying to print a website and I keep getting this Microsoft OneNote window that won't let me print unless I set something up.  Does anyone have ideas on how to avoid OneNote and just send to the printer directly (as I did with earlier OS) ?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Computer Tips
« Reply #1: December 28, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
I have a new laptop that is suppose to be user friendly.  But the new version of Windows has bells and whistles I could do without.  I'm trying to print a website and I keep getting this Microsoft OneNote window that won't let me print unless I set something up.  Does anyone have ideas on how to avoid OneNote and just send to the printer directly (as I did with earlier OS) ?
Is the OneNote application  set as your default printer? Have you installed the printer drivers for your existing printer?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2: December 28, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
I didn't set anything, in terms of OneNote being set as a default.  If it is, where would I find out ?  Control Panel ?

Is the OneNote application  set as your default printer? Have you installed the printer drivers for your existing printer?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: December 28, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
I didn't set anything, in terms of OneNote being set as a default.  If it is, where would I find out ?  Control Panel ?

I don't wanna jump in because this is all above my pay grade but the Control Panel is a good place to start for just about anything.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #4: December 28, 2014, 05:22:38 PM »

Thanks Comish - for some reason the printer device was set to OneNote

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: December 28, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
I don't wanna jump in because this is all above my pay grade but the Control Panel is a good place to start for just about anything.

You're retired, everything is above your pay grade

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: December 28, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »
You're retired, everything is above your pay grade

Good point.    :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: December 29, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
Its MicroSoft.  What they create is always the Default!

Another tip.  Reboot before calling tech support.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: December 29, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Alright, I've got a question that probably can go here. How do I convert a .mkv file to mp4 so it's playable in itunes?

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #9: December 29, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
Alright, I've got a question that probably can go here. How do I convert a .mkv file to mp4 so it's playable in itunes?

https://cloudconvert.com/

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #10: December 29, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
mkv2vob can do this as well I believe.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: December 29, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #12: December 29, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
File's too big for that. Thanks, though.

You can use VLC Media Player to do it apparently, if you have that. Also this program, never used it but I generally trust the site and their reviews:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-MKV-to-MP4-Converter/3000-2194_4-75984396.html

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: December 29, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
Seriously, give mkv2vob a try.  I've used it many many times to convert for watching on ps3.  AFAIK it would work for iTunes as well.  And if your mkv is h.264 video and AC3 audio, all it does is re-mux which takes a few minutes and results in no loss of quality compared to if you have to actually re-encode.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: December 30, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
What's the application called after download? RarGenie? I tried it and must have done something wrong because all it did was compress the mkv files. It didn't convert anything.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #15: December 30, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
You can use VLC Media Player to do it apparently, if you have that. Also this program, never used it but I generally trust the site and their reviews:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-MKV-to-MP4-Converter/3000-2194_4-75984396.html
only works on windows computers.

It's not a huge deal, I've got a program that will let me play them. It'd just be more convenient to watch them in itunes and stream it to the Apple TV. It's a lot more stable through itunes than through another application. Not that big of a deal to watch them on the smaller screen.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #16: December 30, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
What's the application called after download? RarGenie? I tried it and must have done something wrong because all it did was compress the mkv files. It didn't convert anything.

I think you downloaded something else.  Here's a link to the sourceforge page of the Mac port:
http://mkv2vobmac.sourceforge.net

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #17: December 30, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Well, it worked, but it didn't convert the whole file...only about 20% of it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #18: December 30, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »
Hmm.  You don't somehow have file splitting turned on under lconfiguration do you?  It's essentially a windows program wrapped in a compatibility layer so it may just be a quirk with that.

The only other option I can think of would be to use handbrake, another open source tool and native on OS X, bit that will re-encode, taking a long time and causing some loss in quality.