Author Topic: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat  (Read 3439 times)

Offline OfftheBat

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat
« Reply #151: May 05, 2024, 10:14:21 AM »
Offer Gallo to the Marlins for the full rights to Nunez. If Miami doesn't agree, then DFA both.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #152: May 05, 2024, 10:34:10 AM »
Offer Gallo to the Marlins for the full rights to Nunez. If Miami doesn't agree, then DFA both.
It's not the weirdest thing, especially if we pick up a good chunk of his salary. They are clearly in a throw in the towel mode, they have enough holes that he could get ABs, and they could flip him. I'd actually like to free up some roster spots, too. i'm not sure I'm in the cut them mode like you are, but the short bench with Nunez is a bit of a problem.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #153: May 05, 2024, 10:56:38 AM »
0-2, 2BBs, and a K yesterday. He's back to major league levels.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #154: May 05, 2024, 11:49:34 AM »
Nuñez just seems completely redundant with Made and Cruz in the system.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #155: May 05, 2024, 12:41:32 PM »
Nuñez just seems completely redundant with Made and Cruz in the system.

With almost 25% of the season gone Nunez has had 3 AB’s and a several opportunities to pinch run. He has also had less than 9 innings as a defensive replacement. A total waste of a roster spot.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #156: May 05, 2024, 12:58:36 PM »
With almost 25% of the season gone Nunez has had 3 AB’s and a several opportunities to pinch run. He has also had less than 9 innings as a defensive replacement. A total waste of a roster spot.

Yup.  But unfortunately Rizzo will never admit to making a mistake, so Nunez will stay. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: May 05, 2024, 01:23:15 PM »
Yup.  But unfortunately Rizzo will never admit to making a mistake, so Nunez will stay. 
It's not such a huge waste. They need a second MI bench player, and this guy does a couple of things well (Field, run). Of course, if Lipscomb is up, that's less needed, but I don't want Lipscomb just sitting on the bench if they decide to play Senzel (or Vargas) at 3rd. The guy isn't without tools, but it's just a bit of a waste of a development year for him.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #158: May 05, 2024, 01:48:41 PM »
Seems like it would make more sense to have Millas here

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: May 05, 2024, 01:55:30 PM »
Seems like it would make more sense to have Millas here
if Lip is up, yes, but I don't think the plan is to keep Lip up when Gallo is ready. Also, I think Davey likes a pinch runner, and if Young is an every day guy and not a 4th OF, then there's a need for that.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #160: May 05, 2024, 05:20:37 PM »
It's not the weirdest thing, especially if we pick up a good chunk of his salary. They are clearly in a throw in the towel mode, they have enough holes that he could get ABs, and they could flip him. I'd actually like to free up some roster spots, too. i'm not sure I'm in the cut them mode like you are, but the short bench with Nunez is a bit of a problem.

Nunez is a waste of roster space. Gallo was, for a while, a major leaguer, although that was several seasons back. As someone suggested, he would be Designated Fielder. Otherwise, he offers nothing except strikeouts.

I gave up on Robles in 2021, but Victor is more useful than Gallo.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #161: May 05, 2024, 10:44:32 PM »

I gave up on Robles in 2021, but Victor is more useful than Gallo.

Low bar...

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #162: May 15, 2024, 08:47:17 AM »
Gallo can't even hit AAA pitching. He is batting .120 and with 3 K's last nite. 25 AB's 3 hits (two HR's) 10 K's. Give it up Rizzo. Nobody is trading for him except Walmart as a greeter.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: May 15, 2024, 08:56:55 AM »
Gallo can't even hit AAA pitching. He is batting .120 and with 3 K's last nite. 25 AB's 3 hits (two HR's) 10 K's. Give it up Rizzo. Nobody is trading for him except Walmart as a greeter.
So you are saying he's fully back to his major league performance level. That's a key milestone / millstone in his rehab.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #164: May 15, 2024, 09:00:02 AM »
His OBP is almost .300. He’s ready. We need the HRs.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #165: May 15, 2024, 09:05:28 AM »
His OBP is almost .300. He’s ready. We need the HRs.
Too many men LOB and a horrible BA with RISP. He can hit "trash" HR's like Dom Smith did last year. that don't change the outcome.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #166: May 15, 2024, 09:14:10 AM »
Too many men LOB and a horrible BA with RISP. He can hit "trash" HR's like Dom Smith did last year. that don't change the outcome.
It’s pretty much been proven that RISP stats are just random.  At this point I would move on from Meneses and see what Gallo can do.  And then maybe if he hits you can trade him. I mean Rosario’s April wa a much worse than Gallo this year.  Dom Smith could not hit for power. Gallo can when he actually hits the ball. 

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #167: May 15, 2024, 09:43:25 AM »
It’s pretty much been proven that RISP stats are just random.  At this point I would move on from Meneses and see what Gallo can do.  And then maybe if he hits you can trade him. I mean Rosario’s April wa a much worse than Gallo this year.  Dom Smith could not hit for power. Gallo can when he actually hits the ball ON THE RARE OCCASION. 

FTFY and Smith hit 12 plus HR'S but most in garbage time

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #168: May 15, 2024, 11:06:00 AM »
FTFY and Smith hit 12 plus HR'S but most in garbage time
Dom hits about 10 HRs every year. Also I believe when I looked it up last year his career RISP numbers are about the same or better than his overall stats.  RISP is generally random.