Author Topic: "That little catcher..."  (Read 569 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
"That little catcher..."
« Topic Start: August 23, 2023, 07:17:43 PM »
Daughter and I went to Yankee Stadium for the game last night:

- Although Yankee fans are pleasant to visitors, except Red Sox fans in chanting groups, Yankee Stadium is lousy. With 38,000 attending, the place felt choked...too few entrances for that number of fans. Food and beer choices are limited, at least on the 200 level. Fans seem to spend the entire game getting up and changing seats, and the stewards act like the place is general admission. Reminds me of the upper deck seats at DC Stadium or the bleachers at Griffith Stadium. More bothersome, to me, at least: I saw no escalators. Getting to the second level is an endless walk. And levels 3 and 4?

- Squeezing through the meandering crowd at our seats, I saw a tall guy with a Nats hat. We said hello, shook hands (allies in the Land or Mordor?) and he asked if I saw games in Washington. I explained that I live in NYC, and asked where he was from. He said he's from San Diego, so I said, "Wow", and asked why he had come to a game clear across the country. "My son is that little catcher", he replied, as I was confused...I'd seen that Riley Adams would catch, but nobody calls Riley a "little catcher". It hit me: his dad does.

- We sat in the section beside where the Nats families were sitting. From just above 3B, we could see CJ roam all over the left side, controlling most of the plays. Yankee Stadium hardly ever shows replays, and then only on a small inset of their scoreboard, but it looked like Abrams went far into left center to snag a pop-fly that looked like a sure hit. And it was only fitting that he hit the game-winner. After the game, I was a little too bashful to ask which family were attached to which players, but I shook hands, met Riley Adams' big brother, who is a littler shorter, told the Adamses that I thought Riley should start half the games at catcher, saying that his throw, the throw that caught an attempted base-stealer, looked like a rocket.

- In all, Nats park is a much, much better place to watch a game. For one thing, the food is better. Maybe my eyes are going, but Nats Park seems to put a fan closer to the game. Further, the Yankee Stadium scoreboard uses a tiny font, making me wish I'd brought binoculars to see details like the batting order. Seemed to be the only place where we could see how hard a pitch had been thrown, and I wondered if the speed-gun needed re-calibration...it showed Gray throwing at 91 and 92 mph all game.

Online Natsinpwc

Re: "That little catcher..."
« Reply #1: August 23, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
Very cool that you got to meet his Dad.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: August 23, 2023, 07:31:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #3: August 23, 2023, 07:53:51 PM »
That's awesome! I saw Bryce Harper's family at a game in 2012 but was way too shy to go up and talk to them. Good luck to your new friend and his little catcher.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4: August 23, 2023, 11:55:34 PM »
I agree about Yankee Stadium. I went there close to when it first opened and was shocked how bad it was. The concourse in the outfield was closed so you couldn't see anything but walls.

I was once at a University of Notre Dame football pep rally in the basketball arena and started talking to the guy in the seat next to me. Turns out it was Jim Hannan of Senators fame. We talked about the time the Nats went on the road and won about 10 straight. When they flew into Dulles my brother-in-law took me and my brother there to greet the plane. It was in "67" or "68" and people had signs saying "Look out Cardinals" in reference to the World Series. Of course they proceded to lose a bunch of games and that was that.

The other thing was I ran into Hannan the next day on campus and he greeted me by name. Nice man.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: August 24, 2023, 12:56:03 AM »
We were taking the elevator up from a parking garage years ago to go to a Nats game and got to talking to an older couple in the car who had Braves gear on. Turns out their son was making his starting pitching debut. Can’t remember his name.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #6: August 24, 2023, 07:28:26 AM »
OK, this isn't sports, so I may be getting a little off-topic, but...

A while back, to mark a special occasion, Mrs Natsie and I booked a meal at an upmarket hotel, in the Lake District. To our surprize it was quite busy (given the price...) but we were shown to our table, and all was fine. Ater a while the Maitre 'D glided over and quietly asked if, as they were unusually busy, if we wouldn't mind sharing our table. Not ideal, we thought, but hey-ho, what can you do, so we said 'fine'. Our sharers were then ushered over - Mr and Mrs Jagger... :shock:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: August 24, 2023, 07:41:46 AM »

A while back, to mark a special occasion, Mrs Natsie and I booked a meal at an upmarket hotel, in the Lake District. To our surprize it was quite busy (given the price...) but we were shown to our table, and all was fine. Ater a while the Maitre 'D glided over and quietly asked if, as they were unusually busy, if we wouldn't mind sharing our table. Not ideal, we thought, but hey-ho, what can you do, so we said 'fine'. Our sharers were then ushered over - Mr and Mrs Jagger... :shock:
So what is Keith really like? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: August 24, 2023, 08:34:32 AM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #9: August 24, 2023, 09:38:17 AM »
which one?

Jerry Hall. Actually a very pleasant couple - they were staying at the hotel (it's popular with celebs on holiday - Michael Jackson stayed there, for one...). As we were leaving Mick (hey, we were old pals by then - NOT...) came over and thanked us for not wanting to talk about the Stones, or being famous, or wanting autographs or photos... ;) Just a great memory for us to have.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #10: August 24, 2023, 09:50:44 AM »
So what is Keith really like?

:D  (actually, we didn't ask... ;) )

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #11: August 24, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »

Now that's some serious elbow rubbing!!! I wonder if Mick ever met Jim Hannan though ..... mmmmm

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #12: August 24, 2023, 11:04:56 AM »
Now that's some serious elbow rubbing!!! I wonder if Mick ever met Jim Hannan though ..... mmmmm

Maybe it's just us, but we decided that if they were comfortable with photos and autographs, they'd let us know ('can we' or 'would you'), and everyone must ask them about the Stones, et al, so jeez - give 'em a break; they're on holiday, and just want to enjoy a pleasant meal, like we did. OK - we did (sort of) bask in the glow of knowing that anyone who came in after we were seated together would (probably) think that we were together., rather than knowing the chance, random nature of our meeting...;)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: August 24, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
Maybe it's just us, but we decided that if they were comfortable with photos and autographs, they'd let us know ('can we' or 'would you'), and everyone must ask them about the Stones, et al, so jeez - give 'em a break; they're on holiday, and just want to enjoy a pleasant meal, like we did. OK - we did (sort of) bask in the glow of knowing that anyone who came in after we were seated together would (probably) think that we were together., rather than knowing the chance, random nature of our meeting...;)
I thought at least you would have asked them about the Nats rebuild. 

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #14: August 24, 2023, 11:28:09 AM »
I thought at least you would have asked them about the Nats rebuild.

I suppose it would have been the Expos rebuild... ;)

Surprizingly, a couple of other diners did come over and ask for an autograph. As a public figure, he did so with relatively good grace, although I thought I sensed a minor degree of irritation - sort of 'can't you see what's going on here, folks'. Astonishingly, after the autograph diners left us, MJ apologized to us for our meal being disturbed... :shock: (hey - we're cool, Mick...yeah, right!!!... ;))

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: August 24, 2023, 11:43:17 AM »
I suppose it would have been the Expos rebuild... ;)

Surprizingly, a couple of other diners did come over and ask for an autograph. As a public figure, he did so with relatively good grace, although I thought I sensed a minor degree of irritation - sort of 'can't you see what's going on here, folks'. Astonishingly, after the autograph diners left us, MJ apologized to us for our meal being disturbed... :shock: (hey - we're cool, Mick...yeah, right!!!... ;))
We never run into anyone famous at the Olive Garden.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #16: August 24, 2023, 11:46:24 AM »

But when you’re there, you’re family

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: August 24, 2023, 12:34:14 PM »
funny you say that because I ran into Popeye's girlfriend there, Olive Oil.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #18: August 25, 2023, 11:32:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I went to Nats Park & Yankee Stadium last week also. I preferred Nats Park by a mile, however I must say that Yankee fans are quite... "friendlier" than I had expected. There were plenty of Red Sox fans at the game I attended, and Yankee fans treated them nicely, in general. I had heard stories of violence and bad fan visitor experiences in Philly & Dodger Stadium, so I was pleased with seeing those Yankee fans acting nice, heh.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #19: August 25, 2023, 11:50:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I went to Nats Park & Yankee Stadium last week also. I preferred Nats Park by a mile, however I must say that Yankee fans are quite... "friendlier" than I had expected. There were plenty of Red Sox fans at the game I attended, and Yankee fans treated them nicely, in general. I had heard stories of violence and bad fan visitor experiences in Philly & Dodger Stadium, so I was pleased with seeing those Yankee fans acting nice, heh.

We went to the Saturday game against the Red Sox...daughter's union got tickets. Red Sox were beating the daylights out of the poor Yankees -- score was about 7 - 0 -- but the Yankee fans seemed polite to Boston fans. When we went again on Tuesday, I turned to the Yankee fans behind me to explain why I was so excited that Kieboom had hit a home-run on his first pitch ("This guy was the top prospect and he flopped year after year, so this is his last chance...and he did something good") and they smiled. Not a cheer, but understanding why I was glad for Kieboom.

Met fans, on the other hand...

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #20: August 25, 2023, 01:13:01 PM »

It was 1969 and I'm in the Frankfort airport with the Washington,DC ski club ( Fagowees ) returning home. A friend of mine pointed to several people sitting in the waiting area and asked me if that wasn't Mick Jagger. Being the obnoxious American I am I went over and asked him if he was Mick Jagger. His response was " F--k off Yank!" I walked away in silence and they moved to what I assume was a private waiting area.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #21: August 25, 2023, 05:55:46 PM »
It was 1969 and I'm in the Frankfort airport with the Washington,DC ski club ( Fagowees ) returning home. A friend of mine pointed to several people sitting in the waiting area and asked me if that wasn't Mick Jagger. Being the obnoxious American I am I went over and asked him if he was Mick Jagger. His response was " F--k off Yank!" I walked away in silence and they moved to what I assume was a private waiting area.

I can believe it - although they couldn't have been more pleasant with us, they weren't so happy with the autograph hunters. Maybe being 20-odd years older, as well...

The only time we made reference to their celeb status was when they first sat down and said 'hello' - there was that slightly awkward 'meeting-of-strangers' moment, so I said 'well, let's not pretend we don't know who you are...' They laughed, and it seemed to break the ice. After that it was fine.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: August 26, 2023, 03:48:20 AM »
Although Yankee fans are pleasant to visitors, except Red Sox fans in chanting groups, Yankee Stadium is lousy. With 38,000 attending, the place felt choked...too few entrances for that number of fans.

Either Nats Park has gotten way better about logistics since I've last been (admittedly way too long ago), or this stone is being lobbed from a glass house.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #23: August 26, 2023, 03:42:49 PM »
We went to the Saturday game against the Red Sox...daughter's union got tickets. Red Sox were beating the daylights out of the poor Yankees -- score was about 7 - 0 -- but the Yankee fans seemed polite to Boston fans. When we went again on Tuesday, I turned to the Yankee fans behind me to explain why I was so excited that Kieboom had hit a home-run on his first pitch ("This guy was the top prospect and he flopped year after year, so this is his last chance...and he did something good") and they smiled. Not a cheer, but understanding why I was glad for Kieboom.

Met fans, on the other hand...

That's nice, I went to the Sunday game, Sox won that game also. I'll probably visit Citi Field in the next few years, hopefully Mets fans will treat me nicely with my Nats gear on  :D