Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 166310 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2825: September 24, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Blue Moon pumpkin is pretty good.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2826: September 24, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
Black Squirrel has Jolly Pumpkin Artisanal on tap right now.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2827: September 24, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Two questions: Is there any german made hard ciders or other "girly" drinks available?

Also, what are the best German beers available here in NoVA. Not a Kraut recipe, but legimitately imported from Bavaria.

• babble on
« Reply #2828: September 24, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
Frankfurt (am Main, i.e. the western one where the big airport is) is famous for apple wine ("apfelwein").  Often served with handkäse (literally "hand cheese"); "handkäse mit musik" is handcheese with onions. 

Two questions: Is there any german made hard ciders or other "girly" drinks available?

Also, what are the best German beers available here in NoVA. Not a Kraut recipe, but legimitately imported from Bavaria.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2829: September 24, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »

this may sound like blasphemy, but thanks to german purity laws, most of the stuff tastes pretty similar. I'm partial to Hoffbrau, but that's just because I got really crap faced at one of their beer halls

• babble on
« Reply #2830: September 24, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Spaten does not suck

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2831: September 24, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »

Schneider Weiss Tap 7 is the best German hefe-weizen I've had; it's available at a lot of liquor stores.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #2832: September 24, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »
Frankfurt (am Main, i.e. the western one where the big airport is) is famous for apple wine ("apfelwein").  Often served with handkäse (literally "hand cheese"); "handkäse mit musik" is handcheese with onions. 

Where can I get that here?

Schneider Weiss Tap 7 is the best German hefe-weizen I've had; it's available at a lot of liquor stores.

Uh . . . since when do ABC stores sell beer?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2833: September 24, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Where can I get that here?

Uh . . . since when do ABC stores sell beer?

He must be a Marylander or such.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #2834: September 24, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »
Ewwwwwww . . . .

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #2835: September 24, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »

Couple things:
1)  All German beer does not come from Bavaria.  There are plenty of good non-Bavarian German beers.
2)  Lagers do not travel as well as ales, and most German beer is lager.  Therefore, it is difficult to find in NoVa anything that does justice to what it tastes like in its natural habitat.
3)  Look for Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen and/or Schneider Aventinus.  Total Wine and More should oblige.  Or the Westover Market.  They are both Bavarian, by the way.
4)  Jever Pils is a fine hoppy German beer.  Comes from about as far away from Bavaria as you can get and still be in Germany.  Reisdorfer Kölsch is also worth a try (and NOT from Bavaria).  I am a fan of Warsteiner (from Warstein in the Ruhr area), but it really doesn't travel very well.
5)  Hit up the Biergartenhaus for German beers on tap.

• babble on
« Reply #2836: September 24, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Liquor stores don't sell beer?  Next you'll tell me they are closed on Sunday. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2837: September 24, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »
Liquor stores don't sell beer?  Next you'll tell me they are closed on Sunday. 

We have stills in VA.   :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2838: September 24, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
Next you'll tell me they are closed on Sunday. 

we've a little more progressive than that (not much). Actually, I really like abc stores- they're clean, well laid out, and they have great scotch and bourbon selections

Offline imref

« Reply #2839: September 24, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
Couple things:
1)  All German beer does not come from Bavaria.  There are plenty of good non-Bavarian German beers.
2)  Lagers do not travel as well as ales, and most German beer is lager.  Therefore, it is difficult to find in NoVa anything that does justice to what it tastes like in its natural habitat.
3)  Look for Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen and/or Schneider Aventinus.  Total Wine and More should oblige.  Or the Westover Market.  They are both Bavarian, by the way.
4)  Jever Pils is a fine hoppy German beer.  Comes from about as far away from Bavaria as you can get and still be in Germany.  Reisdorfer Kölsch is also worth a try (and NOT from Bavaria).  I am a fan of Warsteiner (from Warstein in the Ruhr area), but it really doesn't travel very well.
5)  Hit up the Biergartenhaus for German beers on tap.

I second Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, easily the best beer I've ever had.  I believe Doner Bistro in Leesburg has it on tap.  Wegman's sells it too.

Offline imref

« Reply #2840: September 24, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »

About the only German "girly" drink I can think of is a Shandy (lemonade and beer).  I got laughed at pretty hard at a bar in Munich when I ordered it in December  (It's a summer drink).  There's also Jagermeister, depending on what kind of girl you are talking about. :)

• babble on
« Reply #2841: September 24, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
Doner Bistro just opened a second location a block from my house - their currywurst is awesome.

I second Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, easily the best beer I've ever had.  I believe Doner Bistro in Leesburg has it on tap.  Wegman's sells it too.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2842: September 24, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
About the only German "girly" drink I can think of is a Shandy (lemonade and beer).  I got laughed at pretty hard at a bar in Munich when I ordered it in December  (It's a summer drink).  There's also Jagermeister, depending on what kind of girl you are talking about. :)

I went to a beer garden in the english gardens, and everyone was drinking shandy- granted most people biked there and it was being served in large enough glasses that you were still getting a couple of pints or beer per drink

• babble on
« Reply #2843: September 24, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
 :rofl:

There's also Jagermeister, depending on what kind of girl you are talking about. :)

Offline mitlen

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2846: September 24, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
this may sound like blasphemy, but thanks to german purity laws, most of the stuff tastes pretty similar. I'm partial to Hoffbrau, but that's just because I got really crap faced at one of their beer halls

Yeah  and it's just  ok.  nothing spectacular.  and I  want to like it a lot. I like the darker German beers better

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2847: September 24, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
Watching Oz and James makes me really want to drink bitters- do they even sell that here,  and if so,  what is it called?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2848: September 24, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
Bitters :shrug:

Unless it's something different.  I have a bottle of that ^

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2849: September 24, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »
Dinkle Acker is a good German beer available in the area