Author Topic: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat  (Read 2824 times)

Offline OfftheBat

Re: Joey Gallo - our lefty power bat
« Reply #25: January 23, 2024, 04:21:51 PM »
Lol... that's all I gotta say.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: January 23, 2024, 04:25:42 PM »
Can’t wait for Darnell to fix ‘em. Get rid of those pesky homers in no time.
:lmao:

Online Five Banners

« Reply #27: January 23, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »
I hope I am wrong, but no moves would have been better than this

This. It actually creates disinterest in going to see them because of the imperative of playing the “free agent signing”, and I’m not interested in potentially seeing the rallies (and the development) of the scrappy Nats continuously sabotaged on the bat side, especially with what is expected to be trotted out in the rotation. Sickening.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: January 23, 2024, 04:35:36 PM »
103 wRC+, low .700s OPS.

Through May doesnt help this team next year. No one is trading for him based on the first two months if the season.

This is nothing more than a lottery ticket of a free agency signing. Which is fine, but like there were significantly better options.
Wasn't my first or second choice either, but it is a lottery ticket which we can hope to  spin into a player if he hits. The point about April and May is he hit well before he was hurt last year. That's enough to think that he'll pay off more than Matt Adams at this point (Adams is 5 years older, too, and can't play in the field). If Gallo doesn't hit, then he's cut when there's a couple of OF call ups.

Yes, I do have a bit of concern about not getting a decent look at Millas. Riley Adams has the hamate issue so I'm not expecting much power this year, which is his whole game.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #29: January 23, 2024, 04:39:04 PM »
Thoughts from when this was raised before:

Meanwhile, how many of his homers came like his last one of the season, in the seventh-inning of a 13-1 lead for the homer-happy Twins? Also, here’s the mindset that would be brought in:

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-twins-joey-gallo-striking-out-strikeouts-home-runs/600285250/

“"I'm going to strike out a lot," said Gallo, who saw his batting average drop to .182 on Sunday. "That's how it is with me unfortunately.”

It seems to make a lot more sense to save a roster spot then have someone like him tried it out over and over and potentially kill rallies when the Nats into scrappy mode. If they’re gonna cast next year as a time of development, at least get a veteran that may showcase better habits including plate discipline.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #30: January 23, 2024, 04:41:27 PM »
Probably the sams folks who did last year? The NCR being full of tranients benefits ownership.

The Susan O’Malley / Kasten /Feffer fanbase killing model

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #31: January 23, 2024, 04:41:59 PM »
They need to decide what they're going to do with Pineda and Millas also. One of these guys should go to AAA and the other go north. Joey taking up a spot. I also agree what somebody else said if you wanted something like this Matt Adams would of been better.
No reason they cant spend the bulk if the season in Triple A

Online Five Banners

« Reply #32: January 23, 2024, 04:43:21 PM »
The last four seasons, he has a .416 slugging percentage. We sure this guy still counts as a power bat?

Looks like a big negative on that. And they’re actually using $5 million and a roster spot for that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: January 23, 2024, 04:43:54 PM »
oh, didn't realize he's a Boras client. Now this makes sense.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #34: January 23, 2024, 04:46:57 PM »
oh, didn't realize he's a Boras client. Now this makes sense.

It may make even less sense; what would be the incentive of doing him a solid at this point?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #35: January 23, 2024, 04:47:56 PM »
The Susan O’Malley / Kasten /Feffer fanbase killing model

DC is the ultimate bandwagon town. As soon as the team starts winning, fans will flock back, claiming they have been Nats fans their whole lives.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #36: January 23, 2024, 04:48:02 PM »
i don't see how Gallo is preferable to Matt Adams on another minor league deal.

You’re not alone

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: January 23, 2024, 04:49:50 PM »
Looks like a big negative on that. And they’re actually using $5 million and a roster spot for that.
Eh, its a cheap gamble. He sucks for a month,  you release and call up whoever you want.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #38: January 23, 2024, 04:50:34 PM »
Eh, its a cheap gamble. He sucks for a month,  you release and call up whoever you want.

Do you think this crew would release him after they shelled out $5 million versus Martinez playing him even more?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: January 23, 2024, 05:12:23 PM »
It’s a meh move.  Not blocking anyone. Maybe he will catch fire and they can trade him. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: January 23, 2024, 05:19:58 PM »
One good thing about the signing Rizzo gave us:

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #41: January 23, 2024, 08:23:38 PM »
About time Boras got them to overpay for one of his veteran turds.  Been awhile, was starting to wonder why he no longer thought of us as his favorite dumping ground.   

Offline Slateman

« Reply #42: January 23, 2024, 08:32:19 PM »
About time Boras got them to overpay for one of his veteran turds.  Been awhile, was starting to wonder why he no longer thought of us as his favorite dumping ground.   
5 million for 18+ home runs and good corner outfield defense is hardly an overpay

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #43: January 23, 2024, 08:55:02 PM »
5 million for 18+ home runs and good corner outfield defense is hardly an overpay

Hit a buck 77 last year, .197 for his career.

What I do like about the signing is that Boras has probably told him to tune out whatever Darnell Coles tells him.  This is a re-establish value contract, and no other team values hitters who are taught to swing at everything as Coles teaches.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #44: January 23, 2024, 09:05:24 PM »

What I do like about the signing is that Boras has probably told him to tune out whatever Darnell Coles tells him.  This is a re-establish value contract, and no other team values hitters who are taught to swing at everything as Coles teaches.
Worth about half a WAR. So, again, five million isnt an overpay. Acting like we're doing a favor for Boras is silly. Rizzo wanted a left handed hitting outfielder. Gallo's price is aligned to the last three offseasons budgets.

His defense alone justifies the contract.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #45: January 23, 2024, 09:08:05 PM »

0.177 ? Omg.. I mean, if he can stay above the Mendoza line we could probably flip him at the deadline, best case scenario...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: January 23, 2024, 09:10:59 PM »
He has a decent shot at a .725 - .750 OPS and and a .320 wOBA. He's as likely to beat that as he is to underperform it. That makes him around an average hitter, even though it is put together in a weird way. If he's a dog, he can be released.

Look, I'd have preferred Pederson or Rosario, and would have taken Belt if he would have signed here (Votto too). I suspect all those guys get more than Gallo. He was an affordable dice roll / lottery ticket.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: January 23, 2024, 09:15:09 PM »
0.177 ? Omg.. I mean, if he can stay above the Mendoza line we could probably flip him at the deadline, best case scenario...
even in his prime, he only had one year when he hit over .210.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: January 23, 2024, 09:19:31 PM »
Andrew Golden Q&A about the deal:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nationals/s/kxz5xmlmNN

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #49: January 23, 2024, 09:33:30 PM »

Seems like a likely outcome.

Not the worst signing, puts someone in the lineup who can at least make the pitchers throw a little, but not exactly the bat to help "the young hitters" Rizzo's been talking about.