Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42712 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
As a wave of young talent awaits, Victor Robles tries to enjoy the moment

WaPo Golden talks about Robles cheering on the prospects, and how the season will be about how Robles finishes his tenure with the Nats.

Ideal case, he is traded at the deadline to a contender looking for some defense, brings back something of value, and opens a slot for a prospect to succeed.
Is it normal for a player entering their tenth year of professional baseball in the United States to still need an interpreter? It seems we've had younger players who speak basic English sooner in their careers. Everyone learns at their own pace, so not holding only to a standard of Juan Soto who early on could do interviews well.

And before I'm accused of double standards, I'd expect any Nationals coach or player development staffer to have basic Spanish skills.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Is it normal for a player entering their tenth year of professional baseball in the United States to still need an interpreter? It seems we've had younger players who speak basic English sooner in their careers. Everyone learns at their own pace, so not holding only to a standard of Juan Soto who early on could do interviews well.

And before I'm accused of double standards, I'd expect any Nationals coach or player development staffer to have basic Spanish skills.
Dont know if its normal, but its not unheard of.

Robles is, effectively, a first generation immigrant to the US. Not abnormal to need an interpreter for people beyond Robles tenure in the US. Learning a new language is remarkably difficult for most folks. Particularly nuances and tenor to conversations.

When I was working as a volunteer ambulance, we had a whole list of nurses and doctors that were fluent in certain languages. We'd have em on speed dial if we had an issue.

Offline Mattionals

Some players never learn the language, but with the increase in development team members in the latin american academies, the teaching is there. I'd hate to say it, but his lack of learning the language kind of fits with his "lazy" image. Please, don't take that for anything more than his image and has nothing to do with anything else.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

A lesser prospect than Robles, Juan Soto, started learning English as soon as he got to the Nats.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
It seems that many (most?) Japanese players prefer to speak through interpreters long after they are functionally proficient in English...Matsui and Ichiro come to mind. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'd hate to say it, but his lack of learning the language kind of fits with his "lazy" image.

I've been going to Mexican restaurants the bulk of my adult life and can't speak the language...I even took one year of Spanish in High School.  My teacher said he'd pass me if I vowed never to take Spanish again. 

My only excuse is that I'm lazy...so you may be on to something...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Maybe it is preference. I found a couple 2019 interviews with Robles where he spoke a couple broken English phrases. Surely today he can hold a conversation. Maybe it is as simple as he doesn't know strong English and doesn't want to mess up an interview. That's understandable. Acuna had that post-game 2019 interview in broken English and in 2023 he still did translated interviews.

In their defense, a misinterpreted conversation in clubhouse is laughed off. Can be risky with media.

Online Natsinpwc

I've been going to Mexican restaurants the bulk of my adult life and can't speak the language...I even took one year of Spanish in High School.  My teacher said he'd pass me if I vowed never to take Spanish again. 

My Dad taught Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Pennsylvania.  Also spoke a few other languages in passable fashion.  For me even three years of high school Spanish didn’t help. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Is it normal for a player entering their tenth year of professional baseball in the United States to still need an interpreter?
Someone has to handle the bets.

Online Natsinpwc

Thats virtually every other player we're hoping for this entire season.  Thats five weeks more of a hot streak than Young has ever put together in MLB
How many more mlb at bats does Robles have than Young? 

Offline Mattionals

You've got me beat. 45 days of Spanish in Grade 7. I took four years of German in high school. Now I can talk with, well, no one in any other language than English!

Online aspenbubba

I don’t think I’ve contributed to this thread previously. After 2019 Robles was living up to the hype that preceded his arrival. I believe he hit almost 20 HR’s that year. The ensuing 3 years were simply a regression and no one knew what type of player he was or could become. Many on this site are stating unequivocally that this is his last year as a Nat. In Zucks article today he revisited Robles numbers last Spring and into April before he got hurt. His numbers in ST this year resemble the numbers from last year. If you are counting on Crews Wood Hassell Pinckney and Lile are all future Nats along with Thomas I think you are drinking the kool aid. I would be esctatic if two made it and my bet is on Wood and Lile.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Aspen- it's not so much koolaid as his contract status. This is his last year before free agency. They have no control of him after the season. If you suppose he has a season that's good,  the smart move is to deal him at the trade deadline because, most likely, he's gone for nothing in the offseason. If he has a bad season, then there's no reason to keep him around. Also, as far as unlikely scenarios, there are literally 6 or more guys who can play cf behind him: wood, crews, Hassell, young, pinckney, Vaquero. It's a far fetched scenario that they all bust.

Online aspenbubba

JCA. Thank you for pointing out the contractural status which I did not factor in. I believe I predicted 2 OF’s making the team  and that was Wood and Lile.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
They should trade Roblows well before the deadline to ensure that nothing stops us from getting rid of him...

I'm in your camp, Bubba...Crews may end up as just a guy...

Offline blue911

Ichiro used an interpreter his whole career. He spoke english. He just didn’t want to deal with nuanced questions from dick head reporters. Now interpreters are part of the CBA.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
JCA. Thank you for pointing out the contractural status which I did not factor in. I believe I predicted 2 OF’s making the team  and that was Wood and Lile.
lile is in the OF equation for sure. I just don't remember if he's a candidate for CF. I suppose De la Rosa would be another CF prospect.

Offline imref

Rosario is starting in CF today, Robles is coming off the bench.

Could a trade be in the works?

Offline Mattionals

Rosario is starting in CF today, Robles is coming off the bench.

Could a trade be in the works?
I gotta guess no. Robles probably going to be "stiff" or "tight" because of the cold.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think you'll see him sitting a bit at the start of games vs. RHP. They already had 3 into 4 spots among Winker, Gallo, Meneses and Rosario, so if they want all 4 in, then an occasional Vic sit out the start will happen. Let's see if they make a defensive sub with Vic if we get a lead late.

Offline imref

I think you'll see him sitting a bit at the start of games vs. RHP. They already had 3 into 4 spots among Winker, Gallo, Meneses and Rosario, so if they want all 4 in, then an occasional Vic sit out the start will happen. Let's see if they make a defensive sub with Vic if we get a lead late.

over / under on that happening before May 1?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Victor Robles platooning is my favorite version of Victor Robles.

Offline nobleisthyname

I guess there's very little confidence in Robles' performance last season and in ST.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I guess there's very little confidence in Robles' performance last season and in ST.
it's just small relative to the whole Victor Robles experience. I think he has the D tobe a useful d replacement especially because he hits lhp well enough to share starts with a lefty bat

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Its only because Gallo is still on the team. Play Menses at first, Winker at DH, Rosario in LF and Robles in CF.

Putting a two time gold glover at first base to play Winker in LF is so freaking dumb