Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76734 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I just checked and looks like this is the Scherzer thread so I have no problem fangirling over a legend

true but you're whining because others didn't join your circle jerk after what has taken place the last two games

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

true but you're whining because others didn't join your circle jerk after what has taken place the last two games
Are there not a dozen threads to point out the last two days have been a disaster? I have been nagging in other threads myself.

Offline spidernat

Stay tuned, some will join your circle jerk shortly.......

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Stay tuned, some will join your circle jerk shortly.......
Good. Doing it solo can be lonely. Better with friends.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline spidernat

Good. Doing it solo can be lonely. Better with friends.

:clap:

Also, your walls won't look like a Jackson Pollock piece.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Well the Giants won three championships and the Rangers were in two World Series.  But Mets and Rays ...  I would take four  division titles (even with 1st round elimination) in seven years, over their runs, of one World Series (each) and no other playoff appearances. Maybe I'm the only one here who feels that way.    In the Mets case, it's one postseason over 11 years.  Rays, one in their history.  Hell no, I wouldn't be happy with that.
without  doing too much digging, I'm pretty sure the Rays made it 3 or more times and won some series.  A pennant in 2008, a wild card game they lost to Texas, and I think a couple more trips.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
without  doing too much digging, I'm pretty sure the Rays made it 3 or more times and won some series.  A pennant in 2008, a wild card game they lost to Texas, and I think a couple more trips.

They were one-and-done the next three times.  2010 and 2011 they lost the ALDS to Texas.  I think in 2013 they finally beat Texas in the WC game but lost the divisional to your Sawx.

Offline Steve Rogers

Well the Giants won three championships and the Rangers were in two World Series.  But Mets and Rays ...  I would take four  division titles (even with 1st round elimination) in seven years, over their runs, of one World Series (each) and no other playoff appearances. Maybe I'm the only one here who feels that way.    In the Mets case, it's one postseason over 11 years.  Rays, one in their history.  Hell no, I wouldn't be happy with that.

NY Mets were in playoffs in '15 and '16.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Is there any chance there is not a Max Scherzer Black Eye Bobblehead next year?

Offline tenken627

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/17/mlb-execs-vote-nationals-max-scherzer-the-worst-free-agent-signing-in-espn-poll/?utm_term=.4bac0ff6d42d

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/12334819/mlb-best-worst-active-offseason

Scherzer's deal was voted the worst in 2015

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Wow I forgot all about that.

I'm starting to feel the old pre-championship Ovechkin fuzzies now about Scherzer.

The best (probably) pitcher in all of baseball needs a ring.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
They'll probably add on in September of this year.

Is there any chance there is not a Max Scherzer Black Eye Bobblehead next year?

Offline tomwvr

I hope this is not true but Mlb ran a story today that Scherzer May be traded to theYankees.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I hope this is not true but Mlb ran a story today that Scherzer May be traded to theYankees.
I mean if the deal includes Frazier, I'm listening

Offline UMDNats

It's super disingenuous for the editor of MLB.com to label that article as a "rumor." Here's the blurb:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

While exceeding the third luxury-tax threshold would come with a 42.5 percent tax on their overages and cause their highest 2020 Draft pick to drop 10 spots, Yankees managing partner Hal Steinbrenner indicated that he would be willing to do so for a move that substantially increases the club’s chances of winning the World Series.

"If I really felt we needed that deal that takes us over the top, then yes, I would," Steinbrenner said Wednesday at the MLB owners meetings, per the New York Post. "But we still have a decent amount of cushion. I’m not concerned about that. It’s a decent cushion."

One pitcher in particular who carries a significant luxury-tax number and could put the Yanks "over the top" is Nationals ace Max Scherzer, who threw seven scoreless innings and struck out 10 batters on Wednesday despite pitching with a broken nose and black eye. Scherzer’s deal, which runs through 2021, has an average annual value of $30 million.

There's no rumor, just a random digital content writer saying that Scherzer is a really good pitcher. More of the classic "The Yankees can just get whoever they want!" stuff.

Rosenthal put out a piece this week that basically said Max won't be dealt and probably not Rendon, either.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It's super disingenuous for the editor of MLB.com to label that article as a "rumor." Here's the blurb:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

There's no rumor, just a random digital content writer saying that Scherzer is a really good pitcher. More of the classic "The Yankees can just get whoever they want!" stuff.

Rosenthal put out a piece this week that basically said Max won't be dealt and probably not Rendon, either.
Fangraphs did a piece on Max's trade value this week, and more or less said that on a team like the Nats with a core and a chance to contend, you may be talking more like an established young regular like Torres rather than Frazier and a guy near the bottom of the top 100. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Good Lord... :shock:

https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1143690569392238593?s=19

10+ K starts since 4/29/2008 (Max Scherzer's MLB Debut)
89 Scherzer
84 Phillies
78 Cubs
78 WSox
78 Rangers
75 Dbacks (3 by Scherzer)
75 Yanks
72 Mariners
66 Angels
63 Brewers
58 Marlins
56 Jays
56 Cards
53 Reds
52 Braves
48 Rox
42 Padres
41 Bucs
39 Royals
38 A's
30 Twins
20 O's

Offline sph274

Frazier is a DH. I have no interest in him as a centerpiece for anything. They cant even call him up as a Stanton replacement. The best he would fetch is Bumgarner, not Max

Online Slateman

Frazier is a DH. I have no interest in him as a centerpiece for anything. They cant even call him up as a Stanton replacement. The best he would fetch is Bumgarner, not Max
:lmao:

Offline Scrapple

WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

Max, you are UNFREAKING BELIEVABLY!!!!!

SCHER-ZER!!! SCHER-ZER!!! SCHER-ZER!!! SCHER-ZER!!! SCHER-ZER!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :clap: :clap: :clap:  :clap: :clap:
 :clap:  :clap: :clap: :clap:  :clap:

You are “da MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN”!! :worship: #31

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Tempted to retitle this thread from appreciation and doubt to No Doubt.

Online Slateman

Only has 8 wins. Lance Lynn has 10. Lynn is better :stir: