Author Topic: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)  (Read 2481 times)

Online Five Banners

The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)
« Topic Start: September 28, 2023, 11:05:21 PM »
Placeholder so we don’t have to see their moniker pop up over and over again next year without sufficient contextualization

Online Five Banners

Re: The Leeches of Baltimore (2024)
« Reply #1: December 27, 2023, 04:10:49 PM »
As this discusses what may happen in the future:

‘The Succession Drama Gripping One of Baseball’s Most Storied Teams’

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/baltimore-orioles-angelos-succession-bcd726bb

‘Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos wants the team to be sold when he dies, but his oldest son isn’t planning to give up control‘

Might the “most storied teams” concept take quite a hit when the owner literally goes on the record claiming that 25%-33% of your fanbase comes from another market and apparently may not be sustained sufficiently by its own market with the rights as initially defined by MLB?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #2: December 27, 2023, 05:03:00 PM »
I couldn't read the article because I'm not a subscriber. I wonder why Peter Angelos would want the team sold when he dies. I could see why he'd want it to stay in the family but not the other way around. Since He's not been heard from in a long time I assume he doesn't know what's going on these days.

Why do they say they can't survive as things are now but then sign a 30 year lease?

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #3: December 27, 2023, 11:06:25 PM »
Why do they say they can't survive as things are now but then sign a 30 year lease?

They have an out after 15 years if they don't get to develop the land around OPACY Atlanta/Battery-style.  Without that extra revenue, they're admitting they can't produce enough $$$ in that market.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: December 30, 2023, 01:21:02 PM »

The Saint Louis Browns were a storied franchise when Bill Veeck owned the. Eddie Gaedel, Grandstand Managers Night, Roy Sievers.

Offline Senatorswin

Re: The Orioles (2023)
« Reply #5: January 02, 2024, 03:08:59 PM »
So the Orioles won 83 games in 2022 and 101 in 2023. The Nationals won 55 games in 2022 and 71 games in 2023.

The Nats couldn't get higher than a 10th pick (they won the lottery pick twice that was negated) in 2024 yet the Orioles have 3 picks in the first 34 picks. Seems like the rules need some tweaking.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #6: January 02, 2024, 03:16:32 PM »
So the Orioles won 83 games in 2022 and 101 in 2023. The Nationals won 55 games in 2022 and 71 games in 2023.

The Nats couldn't get higher than a 10th pick (they won the lottery pick twice that was negated) in 2024 yet the Orioles have 3 picks in the first 34 picks. Seems like the rules need some tweaking.

The draft changes seem to bring new problems, compounded with what looks like inconsistency of putting a market type restriction/penalty on teams, but not acknowledging the existing inequities apparent through the TV rights that already has penalized the Nationals and artificially boosted the leeches.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: The Orioles (2023)
« Reply #7: January 02, 2024, 04:16:11 PM »

the goal of these provisions on compensatory picks and the draft lottery is to help lower revenue teams become competitive and stay that way. If that's the case, then all this kindness to the Os means the rules are working. As for the Nats, I think the rules are based on the idea that rich teams can buy championships. The draft penalty punishes a rich team for not spending to be competitive. The rich team can't get fat from tanking year after year.

I don't think rebuilding in baseball is a one year project (cough, cough, Rangers), so I think it is a little harsh on a team situated like the Nats. Perhaps the rule should be "you can't have a lottery pick if you've been in the past 2." Still wouldn't help the Nats because we were in the lottery for Green and Crews. Not MLB's problem that we picked Green.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: January 02, 2024, 04:20:59 PM »
The draft changes seem to bring new problems, compounded with what looks like inconsistency of putting a market type restriction/penalty on teams, but not acknowledging the existing inequities apparent through the TV rights that already has penalized the Nationals and artificially boosted the leeches.
well, I think we had this discussion, and even accounting for the TV rights dispute, I think we are revenue payers so that's why it was triggered. The O's are revenue-sharing receivers even with the same TV payments as the Nats. I think the MASN ownership isn't really going to kick them extra profits after the recent settlements on rights fees (that is, I'm thinking MASN is a money loser after paying for rights).

Online Five Banners

« Reply #9: January 02, 2024, 06:43:07 PM »
well, I think we had this discussion, and even accounting for the TV rights dispute, I think we are revenue payers so that's why it was triggered. The O's are revenue-sharing receivers even with the same TV payments as the Nats. I think the MASN ownership isn't really going to kick them extra profits after the recent settlements on rights fees (that is, I'm thinking MASN is a money loser after paying for rights).

It still seems it would’ve been worth it to challenge a revenue based competition penalty based on an agreement in which MLB was a forming partner. The lawyers for the leeches already seem to throw everything in the kitchen sink into their delay tactics, and we’re talking big amounts of money here that have been involved.

What’s MLB going to do if they don’t like it being brought up, less than what they are already doing as far as support?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #10: January 03, 2024, 08:14:27 PM »

I just don't get why there has to be any adjustment at all based on big market/small market.  Isn't that what slot money is for?

If you want to have a lottery with the first handful of picks to discourage tanking, then fine - that makes sense.  Anything else just seems like needless freakery.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: January 03, 2024, 08:48:58 PM »
I just don't get why there has to be any adjustment at all based on big market/small market.  Isn't that what slot money is for?

If you want to have a lottery with the first handful of picks to discourage tanking, then fine - that makes sense.  Anything else just seems like needless freakery.
Just one word. 
Manfred. 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #12: January 25, 2024, 02:29:49 PM »
Apparently, the leeches aren’t sweating territorial distinctions in their fan “caravan”, hosting an official event in Germantown. Wonder if the potential ownership mess and the non-presence of Lerner the elder to corral that is prompting the provocative gesture. It’s not as if the current crew is doing any comparable official fan fest.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: January 25, 2024, 02:33:08 PM »
Apparently, the leeches aren’t sweating territorial distinctions in their fan “caravan”, hosting an official event in Germantown. Wonder if the potential ownership mess and the non-presence of Lerner the elder to corral that is prompting the provocative gesture. It’s not as if the current crew is doing any comparable official fan fest.
hate to say it, but for that part of MoCo, Baltimore is probably not that much worse of a drive than South Capitol.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #14: January 25, 2024, 06:51:25 PM »
hate to say it, but for that part of MoCo, Baltimore is probably not that much worse of a drive than South Capitol.

There’s no question about it, and that was one of the main reasons to make a DC ballpark more friendly to the Virginia side of things as far as regional highway access and parking as well as Metro access at a spot capable of realistically handling the traffic — ironically, just as Camden Yards was situated so as to enhance this area’s regional access.

It’s just seems pathetic to have all this yapping about territorial integrity and pained cries of encroachment on the Baltimore side, and then have this resurface the off-season after the original lead owner has passed, especially while this team doesn’t even have a comparable caravan or Winterfest offering. If they ever win again, they can have the parade down Rockville Pike to signify proper indebtedness.

If ever there was an apt title for a thread (if I do say so myself), looks like this cements it.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #15: January 30, 2024, 06:56:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1752470563979772273?s=46&t=KpKo-quuv_Pogl5PIM3m8A

John Angelos has agreed to sell the Baltimore Orioles to David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti, two private equity billionaires, per
@Ourand_Puck

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #18: January 30, 2024, 07:57:03 PM »
If these two billionaires buy the team the Orioles could be dominant for years with all the talent they have. All they need is somebody to pay these guys when the time comes and fill in with free agency when the need arrives.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: January 31, 2024, 10:49:47 AM »
I wonder how many Maryland-based fans will be lured back to following the Os.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #21: January 31, 2024, 11:27:06 AM »
I wonder how many Maryland-based fans will be lured back to following the Os.
You may as well include DC and Virginia. Great young core with ownership willing to spend? That team is gonna be a perennial contender

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: January 31, 2024, 11:51:42 AM »
You may as well include DC and Virginia. Great young core with ownership willing to spend? That team is gonna be a perennial contender

People thought Lerner would be willing to spend too. Baltimore itself cannot support a perennial contender. The question is whether or not ownership is willing to subsidize it- somehow I don't see a group lead by a private equity guy with a hedge fund guy as the largest minority owner willing to spend to compete with large market teams

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #23: January 31, 2024, 11:56:39 AM »
I guess what I'm worried about is, given the choice between MASN1 showing a talented young team up the road or MASN2 showing a moribund bunch that are not even trying, which do baseball fans in this area choose?

People thought Lerner would be willing to spend too. Baltimore itself cannot support a perennial contender. The question is whether or not ownership is willing to subsidize it- somehow I don't see a group lead by a private equity guy with a hedge fund guy as the largest minority owner willing to spend to compete with large market teams

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: January 31, 2024, 12:04:20 PM »
I guess what I'm worried about is, given the choice between MASN1 showing a talented young team up the road or MASN2 showing a moribund bunch that are not even trying, which do baseball fans in this area choose?

Neither? People from Arlington and Alexandria don't care about a team in Baltimore. Likewise, the Nats are doing everything possible to convince them to not care about a team in Washington either