Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 175189 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #3075: August 02, 2023, 04:50:07 PM »
Barbie was a blast. From the opening scene, an almost frame-by-frame homage to the opening scene of 2001: A Space Odyssey, the movie had me. Lots of fun cultural references and Easter Eggs scattered throughout the movie. It’s very witty - I literally laughed out loud several times.

It’s a fun summer movie, but will also leave you thinking about it afterwards. And there’s a fabulous soundtrack to match the high energy.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #3076: August 07, 2023, 03:47:25 PM »
Talk to Me was solid, but definitely over hyped in my opinion. Some disturbing scenes but it never really felt all that tense to me. I don't get to watch movies in theaters very often anymore and I kinda regret not seeing Oppenheimer now.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3077: August 07, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »
Talk to Me was solid, but definitely over hyped in my opinion. Some disturbing scenes but it never really felt all that tense to me. I don't get to watch movies in theaters very often anymore and I kinda regret not seeing Oppenheimer now.
we're going this week to see Oppenheimer at the Udvar-Hazy IMAX.

Online imref

« Reply #3078: August 10, 2023, 10:14:45 PM »
Tried to go to see Oppenheimer tonight at U-H Imax but it was already sold out when we arrived. We weren't entirely sure we could make the 6PM show so we planned to buy tickets at the window on the assumption that since the movie has been out for a few weeks, and it was a Thursday night, it wouldn't be crowded. Big mistake.

So instead we went to our local theater and saw the Barbie movie. One of the more unique movies that I've ever seen. For my wife, it was an emotional walk down memory lane. For the women in the audience, it had a phenomenal message. I could see sexist men being very very upset by it. I enjoyed the movie. I echo WJ73s comments above.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #3079: August 11, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
I'd love to watch it but will probably have to wait for it to come to streaming. My wife might end up watching it for a girl's night out, she's been talking about it a lot.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #3080: August 11, 2023, 01:00:07 PM »
We saw Oppenheimer at our local cinema. I was glad I saw it in the theater because the Trinity test alone warrants that experience. I was mildly disappointed that the only showing in the "RPX" auditorium (which has noticeably better sound) was after 10:00 at night, which was not an option for us because the movie is just too long—I wouldn't have been able to stay awake. It's also unfortunate that the Uptown is no longer open to show that one. The bigger the screen, the better, and let's be realistic, most screens today are far smaller than the huge ones many of us grew up with.

I would have liked to have seen it in the IMAX 70 mm format, but the nearest theater that has that format is in King of Prussia, PA, and I wasn't going to drive that far.

Online imref

« Reply #3081: August 11, 2023, 01:18:34 PM »
Udvar-Hazy is sold out until Thursday. :(

Online imref

« Reply #3082: August 17, 2023, 01:18:08 AM »
Oppenheimer was spectacular. We saw it at the RPX Regal theater, not quite Udvar-Hazy IMAX, but not that far off.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3083: August 17, 2023, 09:46:47 AM »
Finally got a round to watching Guardians o FY he Galaxy parts one and two so I could be ready for part three. Has no idea Groot used to be tall.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3084: August 17, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »
Groot has some pretty cool feats of strength in Infinity War and End Game, too. Guardians 3 is a nice one. Like many of the Marvels, there's something to think about that underlies the movie. I love the ensemble. Dave Bautista (Drax) is local.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #3085: August 20, 2023, 05:01:38 PM »
Watched No Hard Feelings over the weekend visiting family. I wasn't super interested but my wife has been asking to watch it for months now so couldn't say no when we learned our family had it available to watch.

It was solid. Nothing special at all but I did find myself laughing quite a bit throughout. Seeing JLaw completely nude was very unexpected and definitely was the scene of the movie (though more for the hilarity of the scene than from being sexual). Also, as a millennial roughly the same age as JLaws character I really enjoyed the conflicts with Gen Z "Doesn't anyone freak anymore??". I know it's just a movie portrayal but damn do Gen Z parties seem lame compared to what I grew up with.

Online imref

« Reply #3086: December 10, 2023, 09:31:38 PM »
For the Christopher Nolan fans: Oppenheimer is back in regal imax theaters and interstellar will be at udvar-hazy on 12/17

Online imref

« Reply #3087: December 14, 2023, 11:06:22 PM »
watched the Yogi Berra documentary on Netflix tonight, definitely worth seeing. It's kind of sad in a way how he was treated like a cartoon character (literally and figuratively) and doesn't get nearly enough credit for being one of the greatest ballplayers ever (and managers).

Online imref

« Reply #3088: January 08, 2024, 06:02:27 AM »
Nice night for Oppenheimer at the GGs last night

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3089: January 08, 2024, 07:19:01 AM »
Barbie gets ignored in favor of movies that no one watched. People will then scratch their heads when Oscar ratings dip even lower

Online imref

« Reply #3090: January 08, 2024, 08:27:27 AM »
No one watched Oppenheimer?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3091: January 08, 2024, 09:13:29 AM »
No one watched Oppenheimer?

Poor things ($12 million box office) beat it out for best comedy. Emma Stone (again poor things which no one saw) beat Margo Robbie for best actress in a comedy

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3092: January 08, 2024, 10:50:05 AM »
Barbie gets ignored in favor of movies that no one watched. People will then scratch their heads when Oscar ratings dip even lower
other  than winning the first GG for mass market movie.

I know you didn't mean Oppenheimer and you were referring to other award categories. BTW- Oppenheimer had a $950 million box office. It's set all kinds of records for movies that never topped a week at the box office.  I still haven't seen it, which is a little odd b/c my Dad worked on the Manhattan Project at Columbia and Oak Ridge. Low enough on the totem pole and not in New Mexico, so no contact with Oppenheimer, but he did work with some of the Nobel Prize winners. One of them liked my grandma's strudel. :)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #3093: January 08, 2024, 12:29:46 PM »
Impressive stuff,, about your dad. Quite a guy, I would assume...

Online imref

« Reply #3094: January 23, 2024, 03:47:29 PM »
somehow Margot Robbie didn't get nominated for best actress but Ryan Gosling got a nomination for best supporting actor. The Barbie director was snubbed as well.

Gotta think Oppenheimer has a really good night.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3095: January 23, 2024, 06:30:38 PM »
somehow Margot Robbie didn't get nominated for best actress but Ryan Gosling got a nomination for best supporting actor. The Barbie director was snubbed as well.

Gotta think Oppenheimer has a really good night.

Gotta reward the man for the female power movie. Nice to see some of interest and it’s 1.6 million box office get a best director nomination. I’m sure both of its fans are very happy

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3096: January 29, 2024, 07:21:46 PM »
I watched the new Mission Impossible flick on Paramount and thoroughly enjoyed.  It’s mindless fun at its best.  And then the end came and the story did not end.  So this is just part one and part two not until next year. WTF. Best part is Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg as his associates.  Might have to watch again at some point to make sure I really understood all the plot twists.