31 (22.8%)
Ditched Completely
12 (8.8%)
Trade to Team Looking for MI
34 (25%)
DL, surgery or rest, then a month rehab in Syracuse
11 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: The Espinosa Question: What should happen with him?  (Read 44099 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Slate - while you don't value the defensive aspect on WAR, do you agree that, given the same offensive performance, a guy who can play shortstop better defensively than 2 out of 3 shortstops is more valuable than a guy who can who plays 2d better than 4 out of 5 second basemen*?   I think DE might even be better than that if he were a fulltime SS.

As for his O, I think the wrist and shoulder probably were killing his swing, forcing him to start early and making his pitch selection look worse than it might have been had he been healthy.  He had a decent stretch after the ASB last year until the shoulder injury.  I'm not sure his O is shot forever, but it was not getting right until everything healed up.

* I picked 4 out 5 because we had were able to come up with about 6 - 8 guys we thought were better than Espinosa defensively, almost all in the AL.  30 teams. 

the question is how long will it take to get him right- if Rendon manages to stick, they can still option Espinosa for the rest of the year, after that they pretty much have to trade him. I think the only way we ever see espinosa in a Nats uniform again is if either Rendon can't play second or Desmond tanks/gets injured- I think sticking Espinosa (young former starter) on the bench is asking for club house problems in the same way putting Morse on the bench this year would have been