Author Topic: Ted still wants to buy the Nats  (Read 172 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Ted still wants to buy the Nats
« Topic Start: Today at 09:36:39 AM »
Via JP Finlay:

Ted Leonsis on potentially making another offer for the Nationals: “I think it makes sense for us…We need year-round programming…We need the scale to compete.” Quotes via
@JunksRadio

Online Five Banners

Re: Ted still wants to buy the Nats
« Reply #1: Today at 09:50:52 AM »
Via JP Finlay:

Completely over this guy after the arena fiasco. Not that that’s going to move the dial here, but it would be great if someone more promising emerged from the shadows.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: Today at 09:52:21 AM »
How does it get year round programming without owing the broadcast rights? Does he even have the money to buy the Nats plus buyout MASN? He's running the Wizards like a poverty franchise and just milking the last of Ovi with the caps

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: Today at 09:59:00 AM »
How does it get year round programming without owing the broadcast rights? Does he even have the money to buy the Nats plus buyout MASN? He's running the Wizards like a poverty franchise and just milking the last of Ovi with the caps
He would have to cut a deal. Rubenstein is probably more amenable to a deal with the Nats than Angelos was.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: Today at 10:22:35 AM »
He would have to cut a deal. Rubenstein is probably more amenable to a deal with the Nats than Angelos was.

Cutting a deal will still cost a lot of money. Rubenstein isn't just going to give away the Nats' rights

Offline Slateman

« Reply #5: Today at 10:56:51 AM »
Cutting a deal will still cost a lot of money. Rubenstein isn't just going to give away the Nats' rights
I agree, but its actually possible now, unlike with Angelos. The two billionaires can hash out a deal. Who knows, maybe the Orioles will fall under his network as well.

My issue is that I need this to happen quickly. Leonsis needs to be the owner going in to the offseason, so Rizzo knows how much he has to spend on a competitive team and where he needs to supplement with trades.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #6: Today at 11:02:24 AM »
Rubenstein isn't making any money off the Nats rights anymore, and it may become a liability.   I guess if he let the Nats out of MASN, MASN may not be able to keep the carriage it has with just one team.   He'd probably be happy offloading MASN to Ted in exchange for some guarantee of tv rights fees paid to the Os.

I have a hard time envisioning how Ted thinks he's going to make money off of Nats broadcast rights though.   The cable portion is spiraling down the drain.   It seems like he might have this vision of a Nats/Capitals/Wizards streaming service.  That doesn't seem like a very lucrative business model though.   If they charge $20/month, there are probably 100,000, or very optimistically 200,000 willing to pay that.   40-50 million a year for 3 teams is not really that exciting. 

Reading the tea leaves from what Manfred said during the Os sale, he wants to include the Nats/Os local rights in a package with other teams to sell to someone like Amazon/Apple/etc starting in 2025.   Bidding wars between established streamers is where the money is right now.   I can't see where Ted's plan makes any sense, unless he just feels the need to blow through the Saudi money and have a shiny sports streaming app to show for it.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #7: Today at 11:32:00 AM »
All jokes aside, who would be the superior owner? Ted or "Mini-Me"? Or are they both cheapskates?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #8: Today at 11:41:42 AM »
All jokes aside, who would be the superior owner? Ted or "Mini-Me"? Or are they both cheapskates?
Ted and its not even close. The Lerners ownership is divided on the direction of the team right now. Ted would not be and he would want a good product.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: Today at 11:43:45 AM »

In reality, they both suck...and Ted is likely to pull another "we're moving" stunt with the Nats like he did with the Caps...

We need fresh blood...I'm tired of recycling garbage at every level of both organizations...

Offline hotshot

« Reply #10: Today at 11:47:40 AM »
Ted should focus on his fading Caps and national joke Wizards, and let someone with real money and the inclination to spend it buy the Nats.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: Today at 11:50:17 AM »
Ted should focus on his fading Caps and national joke Wizards, and let someone with real money and the inclination to spend it buy the Nats.
Agree.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #12: Today at 12:21:16 PM »
Different takes from Slateman & Varoadking, interesting to see what the future will hold for the Nats...

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #13: Today at 12:34:41 PM »
Bezos needs to do DC a solid and dip into his petty cash and buy the Nats. He can assign somebody to actually run the team. I know, easy for me to spend the mans money.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #14: Today at 12:41:31 PM »
Before his Virginia stunt, I'd have been fine with Leonsis taking over the Nationals. Because a flawed owner like Leonsis is better than the current situation where the franchise has been abandoned by ownership.

After his Virginia stunt, he can go away. I have no trust in him not to drag the Nationals into some stunt built around his dumb idea about a greater DMV or another attempt to bend over the city of DC. No thanks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: Today at 01:24:13 PM »
Before his Virginia stunt, I'd have been fine with Leonsis taking over the Nationals. Because a flawed owner like Leonsis is better than the current situation where the franchise has been abandoned by ownership.

After his Virginia stunt, he can go away. I have no trust in him not to drag the Nationals into some stunt built around his dumb idea about a greater DMV or another attempt to bend over the city of DC. No thanks.

Wizards fans would like a discussion

Offline machpost

« Reply #16: Today at 01:34:48 PM »
In reality, they both suck...and Ted is likely to pull another "we're moving" stunt with the Nats like he did with the Caps...

We need fresh blood...I'm tired of recycling garbage at every level of both organizations...
Ultimately there are no billionaire sports team owners who aren't horrible people underneath. I'm getting a kick out of all the gushing over Rubenstein up in Baltimore. Wait until the honeymoon's over. It won't be long.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #17: Today at 02:00:46 PM »
Leonsis does not seem wealthy enough. If he is looking at owning the Nats to fill out his broadcasting, then he does not have the money to compete.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: Today at 02:11:48 PM »
Ultimately there are no billionaire sports team owners who aren't horrible people underneath. I'm getting a kick out of all the gushing over Rubenstein up in Baltimore. Wait until the honeymoon's over. It won't be long.
That’s why we need Bezos.

Orioles fans will be fine with Rubenstein for years to come. At least now they have a chance to sign some of their talented young players and to sign free agents to make trades to compete. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #19: Today at 07:18:44 PM »

I'm not a fan of the other DC teams, but I would probably take Leonsis over Mini Me, unless you like an owner who breaks his nose shagging flies in the OF for no good reason.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #20: Today at 07:37:10 PM »
That’s why we need Bezos.

Orioles fans will be fine with Rubenstein for years to come. At least now they have a chance to sign some of their talented young players and to sign free agents to make trades to compete. 
If Bezos wanted a sports team, he'd have one. He doesnt care. Dude was a nerd growing up. He has no sentimental ties to the NCR. And if the Nats can't be moved to a super venue complex, he has no business-related reason to buy

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: Today at 08:00:24 PM »
Rubenstein was the local billionaire who would have been the best owner. That whiffed

Offline hotshot

« Reply #22: Today at 09:19:40 PM »
Leonsis does not seem wealthy enough. If he is looking at owning the Nats to fill out his broadcasting, then he does not have the money to compete.
Strongly agree. In the 21st century sports franchise market, you need an owner with the deepest of pockets if you want to compete regularly for the golden ring.

Despite our WS Championship, I still see the question of whether the Nats are really a small or major market team as being unanswered. Who the new owner is (if/when there is one) may well go a long way to answering that question for the team's long-term future.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: Today at 10:18:31 PM »
You need a guy rich enough to view a team as a pissing contest not an investment. Ted is not that level of rich

Online HondoKillebrew

« Reply #24: Today at 11:28:48 PM »
You need a guy rich enough to view a team as a pissing contest not an investment. Ted is not that level of rich

Completely agree. It would be nice to have MLB ownership in DC that is competent, driven to win, and wealthy enough to compete with the big boys. The only time that seemed to be the case was prior to the implosion of the Lerner group. Had high hopes for them but they turned out to be like the others.