Author Topic: Amazon Thread (2011-2013)  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Amazon Thread (Amazon's new Lala-type service)
« Reply #75: September 25, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
Amazon Prime is the best thing EVER!!!

Figured the bumping of this would be about VA's uber lame taxing.

I was incredibly pissed off last Monday when I go to order GTA V only to discover, lo and behold... I have to pay sales tax on Amazon now. It wasn't unexpected, but it still sucks. Yes, it's only fair I get charged tax the same way as if I went to a B&M store... well, except for the fact said B&M store uses local resources, roads, emergency services, etc., that online retailers don't anywhere to the same degree.

Was my pseudo justification, at least. But apparently a couple weeks ago Amazon had to start collecting sales tax for all VA customers because they have distribution nodes in VA. Sucks, sucks, sucks. Now everything I buy has an extra 6% tacked onto it. That adds up like crazy when I spend anywhere from $2k-5k a year on Amazon (So at least $120 extra per year.)

It really, really, really hurts Prime for me. Before I figured that the annual charge basically came out of the money I was saving online by skipping sales tax. Now? It's just a straight up extra $79 (or whatever), which means Amazon's prices either have to be low enough to save me the $80 each year or by saving the cost of gas in driving to B&M stores, or else I'm actually spending more money buying on Amazon than if I bought locally. And since you're talking walking out with the item versus paying more money to wait two days for it to arrive, well...

It's only fair/whatever, but it still sucks to see the 6% every time I check out on Amazon now.