Author Topic: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down  (Read 9219 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Howie Kendrick, Come on Down
« Reply #25: July 29, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
Rendon is great, love him, but I wouldn't commit long term dollars to him given injury history.

So you're saying trade him or let him walk?  'Cause he is gonna get long-term dollars...

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #26: July 29, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
So you're saying trade him or let him walk?  'Cause he is gonna get long-term dollars...

I would definitely trade him for a nice package in the offseason.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #27: July 29, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »

You do know that he's under team control thru 2019, right?

Offline blue911

« Reply #28: July 29, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Apparently the Phils are paying his salary down to where we just pay league minimum  :o
We are giving them international bonus pool allowance but I don't think we usually get splashy with that anyway.

The Nats are on probation for busting their cap limit last year, signing Luis Garcia ($1.3M) and Yasel Antuna ($3.9M) so their slot money was probably unusable.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #29: July 29, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
You do know that he's under team control thru 2019, right?

I wasn't sure when he became a FA but knew it wouldn't be this offseason, correct. I would sell him while he still had a full year of control to maximize value. I just think the injury risk is too high for a long term deal. My take. I love him, but just don't think it would be prudent.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #30: July 29, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
I wasn't sure when he became a FA but knew it wouldn't be this offseason, correct. I would sell him while he still had a full year of control to maximize value. I just think the injury risk is too high for a long term deal. My take. I love him, but just don't think it would be prudent.

Rendon is on pace to play 150+ games for the third time in four years. His injury prone label really isn't fair anymore.

Regardless, trading the guy leading all MLB third basemen in OPS while he still has two controllable (and affordable) years on his contract seems like a terrible baseball decision.

What in the world would we do at 3B in 2018? Promote Drew Ward?

No thanks.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #31: July 29, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Great post and analysis. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Do you honestly believe Harper has any shot of signing here? I think it is a foregone conclusion he is going to the Yankees personally. Rendon is great, love him, but I wouldn't commit long term dollars to him given injury history.

I'd say there's a decent chance that Bryce stays in DC. He's said multiple times that he has tremendous respect for players like Jeter, Gwynn and Ripken, who play their whole career for one team, and how the club and the fan base evolve around that player, and how that affects a player's legacy.  He will make ridiculous buckets of money no matter where he plays, but he has a chance to put DC on the map as a baseball town, and that's something that NY or LA or Philly can't possibly offer him. I have no doubt that the Lerners will make him a fair, competitive offer.  If he feels like they'll also give him a competitive number of chances to win a ring and he feels that he's got a chance at a legacy, then he's staying put.  Regardless, as a team the Nats have to prepare themselves now to be able to extend him; how stupid would it be to lose a player like that, not over money, not over chemistry, but because it would screw your ability to stay below the luxury tax threshold?  (btw this is why any talks of Verlander to the Dodgers is just idle gossip.)

As for Rendon,  I think you assume a certain amount of injury risk with any player's long term contract.  I mean, in March did anyone expect 2 DL stints for Turner and 0 for Zimm or Weiters? Even Werth's DL stint is from a freak batting accident.  Rendon hasn't had a DL stint since 2015 and let's all knock some wood for even thinking of certain things.  The Nats seem to be doing a good job of helping him stay on the field (which is another thing I think will factor in Bryce's decision-- the Nats rebuilt their conditioning/training/medical program in 2016 and several of the players have said in interviews that it's state-of-the-art and helps them stay on the field).

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #32: July 29, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
The Nats are on probation for busting their cap limit last year, signing Luis Garcia ($1.3M) and Yasel Antuna ($3.9M) so their slot money was probably unusable.

showing up out of the blue? :shock:

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #33: July 29, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »

The only way Rendon is ever moved is if we fall out of contention in 2019 before the deadline. The Nats are legitimate WS contenders this year and in 2018 and will probably still be contenders in 2019 if Harper leaves. Even if they are averse to signing Rendon long-term he isn't getting traded.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: July 29, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
Yeah-I am with you. I think writing off Werth is premature.

I also am not a big fan of what we gave up, I think the cost was too high but I think we all know he did that so they could eat the salary. Another example of why being cheap hurts the long term development of the franchise.

At this point, convince me that a platoon of Lind/Hendrick isn't better than Jayson Werth.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: July 29, 2017, 01:26:54 PM »
Rendon is on pace to play 150+ games for the third time in four years. His injury prone label really isn't fair anymore.

Regardless, trading the guy leading all MLB third basemen in OPS while he still has two controllable (and affordable) years on his contract seems like a terrible baseball decision.

What in the world would we do at 3B in 2018? Promote Drew Ward?

No thanks.
Exactly; why would we trade a guy like that. If Harper does not sign here then use that money for Rendon.  If Harper does sign then you may need to trade him.

Offline Optics

« Reply #36: July 29, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Kendrick should be a nice upgrade to our bench and gives us insurance in case Werth and/or Taylor aren't able to make it back at 100% form.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #37: July 29, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
I wonder if this means Goodwin is involved in a deal...

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #38: July 29, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
I wonder if this means Goodwin is involved in a deal...

Ehhh, I don't know. Still is useful next season as a bench guy. Kendrick is just a rental.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #39: July 29, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
Ehhh, I don't know. Still is useful next season as a bench guy. Kendrick is just a rental.

Yeah, I was trying to think through next year... MAT in CF, Eaton in LF, Harper in RF, and Robles up for a  bench role... seemed to me like Goodwin may have more value as trade bait this year than as an OF next year.

But who knows what Rizzo might do.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: July 29, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »
Yeah, I was trying to think through next year... MAT in CF, Eaton in LF, Harper in RF, and Robles up for a  bench role... seemed to me like Goodwin may have more value as trade bait this year than as an OF next year.

But who knows what Rizzo might do.

Robles was just promoted to AA. I thinks it too soon to expect him up next year, unless it’s a September call up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #41: July 29, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
Exactly; why would we trade a guy like that. If Harper does not sign here then use that money for Rendon.  If Harper does sign then you may need to trade him.

I'd love for them to sign Harper long term but Rendon + the cost difference vs. Harper might be a better long term deal for the team.  I guess I could go either way o it if it came down to 1 versus 1+.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: July 29, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »

Trading an 8-9 win player with 2 years of reasonably priced control remaining on a winning team would be unheard of.  I can’t imagine the prospect haul.

Offline dshawg77

« Reply #43: July 29, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »
Trading an 8-9 win player with 2 years of reasonably priced control remaining on a winning team would be unheard of.  I can’t imagine the prospect haul.

LOL-not what I said. I said trade him away the offseason before he has 1 year left.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #44: July 29, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Watching the pre-game and they showed a high light of Kendrick gettin' a triple against the Nats and   ....   Guthrie.    I hope we don't think that's a reason to sign him.    :)

Offline whytev

« Reply #45: July 29, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
Kendrick can play 2b still. he just doesnt because they have 8 other options.

He's probably still as good as Murphy there.

Offline whytev

« Reply #46: July 29, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
I hope this means Heisey is gone

He'll only get bumped out if enough people get healthy.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #47: July 30, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »
LOL-not what I said. I said trade him away the offseason before he has 1 year left.
If we're trading any controllable player away, it's Trea Turner

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #48: July 30, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
Robles isn't going to be on the big league roster next year as a 4th OF.  When he comes up, it's to play everyday.  That could come at some point next year if injury opens a spot and he looks ready to get a look.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #49: August 02, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
This Kendrick guy seems to be pretty good.  Maybe consider extending him?