Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)  (Read 41960 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2019)
« Reply #250: March 29, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »
That’s not the point at all.
So they should let him pitch nine innings every game?
No, but it was a close game and Scherzer gave you the best chance to win. As we saw.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #252: March 29, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »
Well I mean, that's the season, right guys? freak it pack it in.

May as well trade Rendon now. While we're at it, let's deal Soto and Turner. By the time we're good again, they will be free agents and we're obviously not paying them.

Also, Corbin and Scherzer should probably go. Don't wan to have to pay them.

Season's over boys. Pack it in.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #253: March 29, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
https://www.talknats.com/2019/03/29/old-stuff-different-day-dave-martinez/
Wow, this is retarded

No, you did not have 6 outs to get a run because you had no idea if your pitchers would yield any more runs. Also, how did he know the pitcher’s spot would come up again? There was no guarantee of that unless at least 3 runners got on base with no doubleplays. It’s simple math because Scherzer was the last out in the 7th inning. Actually it seemed to be a low likelihood since you look at career WHIP percentages of Jeurys Familia (1.207) and Edwin Diaz (1.010).

it's actually a pretty fair guess that you're going to have to get three base runners to get 2 runs to win a game at that point. Particularly with Famlia and his career 3.64 BB/9 (Hint: He has control issues). It's also pretty fair considering that Familia has a career HR/9 of 0.41, and Diaz is under 1 and coming off a breakout season of 0.64. IN other words, the back end of the pen doesn't give up a lot of home runs, so you're probably going to have to small ball them to tie it up.

cherzer would trudge forward and clearly was fatigued as he admitted after the game but you could see it on the mound. He finished with 110 pitches but what if his final batter, Brandon Nimmo, did not strikeout on 4 pitches and became a tougher at-bat? In reality, Nimmo could have fouled off several pitches. His pitch count concluded at 110 pitches but every extra inning also includes the rigors of warm-up pitches between innings. Scherzer could not even qualify for the win since he was yanked from the game mid-inning with his team losing. At that point he could only hope for a no-decision in the best cas

What if  ... what if. What if he had pulled Max after 7, pinch hit Adams for Max, and Adams had struck out against the LHP that was warming up for the Mets. Yea. Let's burn Adams there, when the Mets are ready to face him.

There was also the analytics of the game. Someone switched the batting order as you can see from the graphic above. Juan Soto was supposed to be batting 3rd and he was flip-flopped with Anthony Rendon when the official batting order was released. We can debate all day long on whether Ryan Zimmerman should have faced deGrom or the hot hitting Matt Adams who had homered in his previous 3 games.

Talks about analytics, but then tries to say Adams is hot because he homered in spring training. Oh okay, totally comparable.

But you have to look at the heart of the order. They had their chances. Both Anthony Rendon and Ryan Zimmerman came up with 2 chances each with runners-in-scoring-position and came up empty. Zimmerman smoked a low liner to 3rd base that was caught, and Rendon extended his poor hitting against deGrom with the 0-3 to a 2-26 results.

Sure, Rendon had to be in this game because there were not better options, but why was he batting 3rd against deGrom? If Juan Soto was batting 3rd against deGrom, he would have had a different set of chances you would think. With Zimmerman batting behind Soto, the wise deGrom pitched around Soto and walked him with Trea Turner on 2nd base and 2 outs.

Holy small sample size batman. Soto has three freaking ABs against deGrom. Oh okay, he's probably going to be good. *checks box score* nope. deGrom made him his nag too. Just like everyone.

And lineup protection is bullcrap. Every analytic analysis has shown this to be the case. What a crappy article. Last year it was "Harper struggled because he kept being moved in the order." Now it's, "Davey doesn't adjust the lineup enough." Holy freak what a bunch of stupidity.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #254: March 29, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
I was at the game and said to my seatmate after the 7th that it would be Rosenthal and then Doo. When I saw Max step to the plate I thought what a freakin idiot. He was at 92 pitches and allowed 2 hits. Get him the freak out of here. And after a year this is my first call for him to be fired. Give me Williams and Acta :).

What I thought was crazy was using the two ass-end pen guys with an off-day today.  Having two better guys warm up and be unused just made it worse. 

I'd happily take an inanimate object as manager over Williams or Acta, although I'm not sure Acta isn't one himself.  Martinez isn't quite to their level yet.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #255: March 29, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
Martinez has not learned or changes a lick. What he did with letting Max bat then pull him off the mound next inning he did repeatedly last season with other pitchers. He is Matt Williams, light, the little marine.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #256: March 29, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
Wow, this is retarded

it's actually a pretty fair guess that you're going to have to get three base runners to get 2 runs to win a game at that point. Particularly with Famlia and his career 3.64 BB/9 (Hint: He has control issues). It's also pretty fair considering that Familia has a career HR/9 of 0.41, and Diaz is under 1 and coming off a breakout season of 0.64. IN other words, the back end of the pen doesn't give up a lot of home runs, so you're probably going to have to small ball them to tie it up.

What if  ... what if. What if he had pulled Max after 7, pinch hit Adams for Max, and Adams had struck out against the LHP that was warming up for the Mets. Yea. Let's burn Adams there, when the Mets are ready to face him.

Talks about analytics, but then tries to say Adams is hot because he homered in spring training. Oh okay, totally comparable.

Holy small sample size batman. Soto has three freaking ABs against deGrom. Oh okay, he's probably going to be good. *checks box score* nope. deGrom made him his nag too. Just like everyone.

And lineup protection is bullcrap. Every analytic analysis has shown this to be the case. What a crappy article. Last year it was "Harper struggled because he kept being moved in the order." Now it's, "Davey doesn't adjust the lineup enough." Holy freak what a bunch of stupidity.

Yeah. This!

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #257: March 29, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »
Has anyone bothered  to mention that Scherzer had a better batting average than Adams in 2018?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #258: March 29, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
Has anyone bothered  to mention that Scherzer had a better batting average than Adams in 2018?

No, because no one uses BA anymore.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #259: March 29, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Yeah. This!

Slate and Greg are in full agreement, putting the rest of us on solid ground.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #260: March 29, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
Is Boz takin' a shot at dave's interviewing style?

"But Martinez sometimes seems interested in being preemptively protective of his players and matter-of-fact in describing his decisions as obvious when they are actually, you know, decisions."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-opener-nats-show-that-fundamentally-not-much-has-changed/2019/03/28/ee5d5e8a-50d0-11e9-88a1-ed346f0ec94f_story.html?utm_term=.220ea1fb01ca

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #261: March 29, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »

Anyway, I will count the next game and compare! Perhaps we can get a backup counter as well. I had a traumatic brain injury this winter (long story) and have trouble focusing.

Patti and her trainer again? Do tell!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #262: March 29, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
Which is fitting because Martinez i will be the #2 manager in every game we play this year.
yes, and we all know who is #2's boss.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #263: March 29, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »

And Max Scherzer has 1 career home run vs Adams 96.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #264: March 29, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
And Max Scherzer has 1 career home run vs Adams 96.

Adams has a career slugging percentage of .358 against lefties.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #265: March 30, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »
All day yesterday Martinez was been ripped on the radio, on WNFF, in print, the Nats players have to be seeing that. If they show up today and destroy the Mets we have a chance this year. Another game like Thursday means the players are done with him.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #266: March 30, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
All day yesterday Martinez was been ripped on the radio, on WNFF, in print, the Nats players have to be seeing that. If they show up today and destroy the Mets we have a chance this year. Another game like Thursday means the players are done with him.
Unless they have blocked everybody but Greg and Slateman.......

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #267: March 30, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
More interested in how Strasburg looks today.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #268: March 30, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »

Haters gotta hate and they have their priorities.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #269: March 30, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
Unless they have blocked everybody but Greg and Slateman.......

I can’t help that I have sanity and others don’t.

Why am I being persecuted for it?

That seems unfair lol

Offline rileyn

« Reply #270: March 30, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »

That seems unfair lol

If this was game 1, you would have sanity, but since this was game 163, you have blinders. 

For the record, I hope you end up correct.  We need Martinez to be at least average. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #271: March 30, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »

Probably be too cold for him. Or he'll have a ingrown toenail

Offline Slateman

« Reply #272: March 30, 2019, 10:10:37 AM »

That seems unfair lol

Everyone thought Galelio was cray cray too

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #273: March 30, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »
Another signature move by a Martinez team, blaming the umps when things go wrong. Pitch track has that as a strike. But in Davey's world it's not their fault.

@DaytonVaDriver Home plate umpire Doug Eddings is not making any friends in the first-base dugout of the #nationals. He calls out Rendon on strikes to end the fifth.
Mets still lead 4-3 as Strasburg takes the mound

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #274: March 30, 2019, 03:58:35 PM »
Davey’s proud of the guys