Author Topic: Rank the Nats top prospects  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
Re: Rank the Nats top prospects
« Reply #50: September 07, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
I'm as big a fan of Marrero as there is and I can say his bat is mediocre.  The knee injury and multiple position changes seem to have slowed him down.  He's running out of the "young for his league" excuse.  An .800 OPS at AA isn't good for a 1B.  He's still only 22 so that next stage of development still has to be waited for, but right now Marrero doesn't really belong on the radar.

but mediocre is a strong word. If his numbers are mediocre then '' average '' is a guy that hits 25 hr's and close to 100 rbi's every year. Mediocre could be said about Rhinehart's bat for example.....and 21,22 at AA is well fit for '' league average age ''. I've no idea what ops is and it does look low but what about his OBP? 350. seems good to me, you need to know how to bat to post numbers like .280 20hr 80+rbi's and a obp of .350. I think we still haven't seen the best from him, I'm happy he got a lot of at bats this year.  We need to cut some slack to this kid seriously, yes he is no A-Rod (as we expected him to be) but the kid still has potential. You won't find much Adam Dunn's in every year's draft. Marrero was picked up in the bowden era , he was aiming for potential homerun picks but in baseball, you wont succeed with that. You could try such risks if you are named the yankees though. I'm satisfied that he isn't putting numbers like .230 14hr 55 rbi's and with a very poor strikeout judgment. I don't expect him to replace Adam Dunn one day but he will get his shot.