Author Topic: Remember Lowell George? Robert Palmer? Linda Ronstadt? (old guy music thread)  (Read 2536 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
A very strange little DJ guy from the 70's.

He sure didn't make his living off his voice.  But his encyclopedic knowledge of music of the day (don't forget Damien as well) went a long ways.

He was certainly one of the most prominent alt-rock DJ's over multiple decades.  Cerph was as well, of course, and he DID have the pipes.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Ah!....At WHFS studio, maybe? Sorry, not trying to be nosy. Just curious. That was my old stomping ground. I grew up there but I've long since left D.C.. I used to work on the WHFS DJ's cars and get free concert tickets from a couple of them from time to time.

Didn't Cerphe have a little orange 911?

Offline van lingle mungo

Didn't Cerphe have a little orange 911?

Sure did. Might have been red, don't remember....Pulled up next to him on Whitehurst Freeway one time and said "Hey Cerphe, how's it going?!!" He totally ignored me and peeled out. D*ckhead.

Offline mitlen

Sure did. Might have been red, don't remember....Pulled up next to him on Whitehurst Freeway one time and said "Hey Cerphe, how's it going?!!" He totally ignored me and peeled out. D*ckhead.

He could be like that but if ya sat down with him, he was very personable.     I saw him years later and mentioned a few things about the Triangle Towers days and he opened right up.    I mean, somebody yells at you on the Whitehurst, you're gettin' the hell out of there.   :)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I was at that one, too.

Here ya go, BIL - https://archive.org/details/LittleFeat

There's enough content here to keep you busy for days. Don't say I never did anything for ya.... ;)

wow. quite the archive. thanks.

Offline Baseball is Life

Oh, I don't know "by far."  As far as rock goes, I'll take Ann Wilson and Chrissie Hynde.  For pop, I'll take both McVie and Nicks.  And for pure musical talent, I'll take Pat Benatar.  don't forget Donna Summer, too. Her range of styles is superior to most of those, and she was more of a touchstone /associate for the LA sound of that era (Jackson Browne, Eagles, all her associates).

Her superior vocal range and versatility is what I was focusing on and I guess what I was trying to say that she was a better all around singer than any of those others. Yes, by far.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Her superior vocal range and versatility is what I was focusing on and I guess what I was trying to say that she was a better all around singer than any of those others. Yes, by far.
she did not have the vocal range of Pat Benatar.  Stylistically, she may have had more range in what she'd try to sing, but that's different. 

Offline mitlen

Vocal range, I'm goin' with Patti LaBelle.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Ruby Start better than any of them.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Vocal range, I'm goin' with Patti LaBelle.
:clap:  They used to make a thing about Benatar's opera training, but Patti LaBelle was outstanding in terms of range.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Ruby Start better than any of them.

Ruby reminds me of Pearl...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Ruby Starr, Claudja Berry, Dana Gillespie, Linda Clifford, Linda Thompson, Gal Costa...so many better singers. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Ruby Starr, Claudja Berry, Dana Gillespie, Linda Clifford, Linda Thompson, Gal Costa...so many better singers. 

fine...she's the best girl singer from the 70's that people actually know, better? ;)
(I just saw that Dana Gillespie was the original Mary Magdalene from Jesus Christ Superstar so I listened to her rendition of "I don't know how to love him" expecting to be blown away but she was kind of meh to me)

Offline Natsinpwc

fine...she's the best girl singer from the 70's that people actually know, better? ;)
(I just saw that Dana Gillespie was the original Mary Magdalene from Jesus Christ Superstar so I listened to her rendition of "I don't know how to love him" expecting to be blown away but she was kind of meh to me)
MDS has his 1970s female singers mixed up with the 70s Pittsburgh Penguins.

Offline Natsinpwc

:clap:  They used to make a thing about Benatar's opera training, but Patti LaBelle was outstanding in terms of range.
Rondstat actually was in the opera La Boheme. As I recall she didn't get good reviews from the opera experts but impressive to try it. Especially for someone with major stage fright.

Offline Baseball is Life

I'm no expert on singing but I've seen Patti LaBelle live and she's got some pipes for sure. A little skeptical on Benatar since I'm not a hard rock fan and she never really grabbed my attention.

Offline Baseball is Life

I knew this girl in my high school chorus who could really sing, too. She never made a name for herself either.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Rock Me (Steppenwolf); Can't you hear me knocking? (Rolling Stones); Texas Flood (Stevey Ray Vaughn).

That is all.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I knew this girl in my high school chorus who could really sing, too. She never made a name for herself either.
:lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 1
« Reply #70: June 08, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
I saw the Jason Bonham Band back in 97 or 98 at the Copper Mine in Petersburg, of all places.  They played about 2.5 hours.  Certainly not the Mighty Zeppelin, but still good nonetheless.

The tribute band "Zoso" is pretty good, they regularly hit the State Theatre in Falls Church.  Great acoustics in there and they really crank it up.