Author Topic: Boras Clients  (Read 1238 times)

Offline IanRubbish

Boras Clients
« Topic Start: March 02, 2024, 08:01:48 AM »
First Bellinger, now Matt Chapman has signed a much smaller than expected deal - 3/$54m with the Giants with the usual Boras opt outs after years 1 and 2.  On top of this, Blake Snell has said he'd take a one year deal. 

In addition to finally seeing through Boras' nonsense, it seems teams are done paying crazy amounts for guys into their late 30s/early 40s.  This could have big impact on the game and the Nats, especially with this team having plenty of Boras players.  It would also seem to be a great opportunity to bring in Blake Snell on a short term deal (Boras' 9 year fantasy would be stupid) if they actually wanted to compete, but highly doubt our fine ownership would do that.

(I made a comment about Boras clients in the Sunshine thread, mods feel free to move the discussion here)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Boras Clients
« Reply #1: March 02, 2024, 09:35:27 AM »
The Snell and Montgomery situation is interesting. It used to be that the team would bring in the guy who was supposed to replace another guy a year early. That was Fister and JZ, that was Corbin and Stras, and that was Eaton and Bryce (maybe even Turner / Desmond, too). However, I think the double dead money being paid to Corbin and Stras makes that kind of signing unlikely. They are framing it in terms of windows and the like, but I can see somebody saying "wait, you want us to spend $100 million on veteran starters in 2024 when we aren't making the playoffs or getting anything out of $70 million of that?"

Rizzo has talked about it being to early for a Werth type signing. I think it is a good baseball judgment. I suspect neither Snell nor Montgomery would commit here for more than a year, so it really isn't something to pursue for a year with so many roster spots so weak. This is a bottom 5 roster. Snell and Montgomery for a year might make it bottom 6-10. That's not going to make the playoffs.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #2: March 05, 2024, 12:41:41 PM »
Boras says interest in Snell and Montgomery has increased during ST, which makes no sense because Snell is now willing to do a short term deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-scott-boras-says-interest-in-blake-snell-jordan-montgomery-has-increased-in-spring-training/

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: March 05, 2024, 01:56:34 PM »
Boras says interest in Snell and Montgomery has increased during ST, which makes no sense because Snell is now willing to do a short term deal.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-scott-boras-says-interest-in-blake-snell-jordan-montgomery-has-increased-in-spring-training/
I don’t think there was anything to the Phillies rumors for Snell.  A Boras media plant. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: March 05, 2024, 02:29:46 PM »
This has happened to Boras before

https://www.nbcsports.com/mlb/news/scott-boras-still-says-stephen-drew-had-multi-year-offers

If he botches the free agency of a client here or there, Boras Corp still wins overall

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #5: March 05, 2024, 03:10:01 PM »
We need to sign a big-time free agent pitcher next offseason, so is Snell more attractive now than what is available next year?

Or, if it’s one year, is it worth paying him into July then trading him for prospects/young and controllable pieces?  We’d essentially be buying cheap talent for 3-4 months of Snell salary.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: March 05, 2024, 03:23:54 PM »
We need to sign a big-time free agent pitcher next offseason, so is Snell more attractive now than what is available next year?

Or, if it’s one year, is it worth paying him into July then trading him for prospects/young and controllable pieces?  We’d essentially be buying cheap talent for 3-4 months of Snell salary.

Team needs vs. what the Lerners are willing to pay. We may need a lot of things. I expect us to get none of them

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #7: March 05, 2024, 03:32:19 PM »
Team needs vs. what the Lerners are willing to pay. We may need a lot of things. I expect us to get none of them

Yeah, would not be surprised if one of the factors may be what someone speculated as far as extending out three years until the Lerner the elder estate matter is taken care of to the satisfaction of the IRS, and stringing along until that point, then putting the team back up for sale.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: March 05, 2024, 03:57:35 PM »

Corbin Burned or Alex Fried will be available next offseason.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: March 05, 2024, 03:59:01 PM »

And like it.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #10: March 05, 2024, 04:22:33 PM »
I'm not sure Snell or Montgomery would sign with the Nats on a short term deal unless the Nats way overpaid.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #11: March 05, 2024, 04:45:01 PM »
I'm not sure Snell or Montgomery would sign with the Nats on a short term deal unless the Nats way overpaid.
Why would we target either of those guys on short deals? The Nats need starters to add to Gray, Gore, and Cavalli. Sykora could maybe be an ace one day, but he is young and far away. If you anticipate on competing in 2025, you need an ace to fit in up top. That could have been Snell this year, but he always struck me as the guy who can get there but is a tier lower.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #12: March 05, 2024, 05:08:46 PM »
Yep. And thats not happening with this ownership.

Would be interesting to watch Montgomery or Snell react to a 3 year,  100 million offer, with the first year having 45 million, and opt outs after year 1 and 2. Pretty much a guarantee you get flipped at the deadline, thus eliminating the qualifying offer

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #13: March 05, 2024, 06:11:06 PM »
I gotta believe either would jump at that offer at this point. Did you notice that was your 63000th post.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: March 05, 2024, 07:19:49 PM »
I gotta believe either would jump at that offer at this point. Did you notice that was your 63000th post.
What a waste

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #15: March 06, 2024, 06:12:15 PM »
Four $100M FA signings this offseason, three were Asian players, all signed fairly early, and not is a Boras client.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: March 06, 2024, 07:20:07 PM »
Four $100M FA signings this offseason, three were Asian players, all signed fairly early, and not is a Boras client.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/
Lee is a Boras client. And who had Lee getting 113 million?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #17: March 06, 2024, 09:16:27 PM »
I wish I was a Boras client.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #18: March 06, 2024, 11:53:06 PM »
Lee is a Boras client. And who had Lee getting 113 million?

That's about 1/3rd of what Boras originally wanted for Blake Snell.  Hardly enough to make up for it.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: March 07, 2024, 07:40:52 AM »
I wish I was a Boras client.
Yep. Would be nice to have someone represent my interests so effectively.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #20: March 07, 2024, 06:29:04 PM »
Yep. Would be nice to have someone represent my interests so effectively.

Except he’s been remarkably ineffective at representing his clients this offseason.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: March 07, 2024, 06:40:39 PM »
Except he’s been remarkably ineffective at representing his clients this offseason.
Will be interesting to see if he loses any clients after this. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #22: March 07, 2024, 06:51:11 PM »
I guess if we just toss out the last 20 years, sure, kind of.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: March 07, 2024, 07:28:09 PM »
Will be interesting to see if he loses any clients after this.
It’s a what have you done for me lately world. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #24: March 19, 2024, 09:23:35 AM »
2 years/$62 million from the Giants for Snell.  Boras got less than a quarter of what he wanted.  Even the AAV is $5 million lower than what Gerritt Cole got four years ago.  Oh, but he probably got a clause where he gets to come to the press conference and talk everyone's ears off like he did at the Cody Bellinger signing.