Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 149831 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
And wine with meals is a fundamental human right in Spain

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
The real reason, according to the purser on a KLM flight AMS-IAD I took back in the summer of 2019 (and confirmable elsewhere): alcohol-fuelled attacks by passengers on cabin crew members, both on KLM and other airlines. It got so bad that even Aeroflot went bone-dry for a time.

[although I would definitely not rule out cost-cutting initiatives by airline management as a part of the picture as well - look how food/drink service on US domestic flights has effectively disappeared]

Offline wj73

Heading out next week for a rambling driving trip through the mid-Atlantic and New England States, taking in minor league games as we go. Barring rainouts, we’ve worked the drive to take in games at 10 different minor league ballparks - Aberdeen, Wilmington (Nats High A), Somerset/Bridgewater, Hartford, Worcester, Portland, Rochester (Nats AAA) Binghamton, Scranton, and Allentown. Also get to spend a few days in Vermont visiting friends.

We’re fully vaccinated and ready to go.  I’ve missed traveling!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Heading out next week for a rambling driving trip through the mid-Atlantic and New England States, taking in minor league games as we go. Barring rainouts, we’ve worked the drive to take in games at 10 different minor league ballparks - Aberdeen, Wilmington (Nats High A), Somerset/Bridgewater, Hartford, Worcester, Portland, Rochester (Nats AAA) Binghamton, Scranton, and Allentown. Also get to spend a few days in Vermont visiting friends.

have a great trip!

Offline Natsinpwc

Sounds awesome. Have fun.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
:clap:

• babble on

Offline NatNasty

Is anyone coming to OBX this summer ?

Plenty of people are.  Tried to book a place, but no availability for places that allow pets all the way through September. 

Anyone been to Punta Cana in the Dominican?  Since no beach this summer, the missus and I are thinking of booking a trip later this year.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Fantastic! We’re doing a meandering trip through Montana in July because we’re vaccinated and we can, traveling is the best!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Plenty of people are.  Tried to book a place, but no availability for places that allow pets all the way through September. 

Anyone been to Punta Cana in the Dominican?  Since no beach this summer, the missus and I are thinking of booking a trip later this year.

Come to Pensacola!

• babble on
I'll pitch in if you can find any lefty batters

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I'll pitch in if you can find any lefty batters
:lol: ditto!!

Offline imref

No but lots of people I know rave about Costa Rica

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I suggest anyone planning to visit OBX in the fall book soon.  Last fall, the tourist business went crazy and one would have thought that Labor Day to Thanksgiving was actually July 4th to Labor Day.  The shoulder season business has picked up tremendously due to both COVID (people finding a vacation spot to drive to) and the low interest rates.

Offline NatNasty

No but lots of people I know rave about Costa Rica

I've heard good things too.  Buddy of mine lives in Florida and flies to CR a few times a year to go charter fishing.  One of these days I'm going to accept his invitation to join him.

Offline NatNasty

Come to Pensacola!

Added to the bucket list!

Offline imref

I've heard good things too.  Buddy of mine lives in Florida and flies to CR a few times a year to go charter fishing.  One of these days I'm going to accept his invitation to join him.

a friend of mine was close to buying a retirement place in the Mexican riviera but shifted plans to CR after finding better options, with more stability and financial protection.

• babble on
Costa Rica is nice.  It's pretty much like having the entire landmass of North America pressed into 75-100 miles.  You can drive down the Pan-American Highway at almost 10,000 feet with it being freezing cold and see the Pacific coast way down to one side and the Caribbean coast down to the other and know that on both coasts there are people surfing and lying on the beach.   

Offline 1995hoo

Note for those who may drive to Florida: All toll roads operated by Florida’s Turnpike began accepting E-ZPass yesterday.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Note for those who may drive to Florida: All toll roads operated by Florida’s Turnpike began accepting E-ZPass yesterday.

That figures...I just placed my Sun Pass mini on the windshield on Thursday...  :?

I guess I'll buy their new E-ZPass compatible transponder at some point before 2023...

Offline 1995hoo

Heh, we’re in Broward County and on our way down the Turnpike on Thursday, I commented to my wife that the signs listing the transponders they accept all had something covered up. I surmised it was an E-ZPass logo. Didn’t expect them to start accepting it the next day!

Our SunPass Mini is attached with Scotch tape, so removing it will be easy.

There is also another Florida-based transponder that works with both SunPass and E-ZPass, the “Uni” offered by the Central Florida Expressway Authority in Orlando. I had looked into that, but we have E-ZPass Flex devices and neither the Uni nor the SunPass Pro supports the Flex capability, so I’ll stick with our E-ZPasses.

Offline Natsinpwc

Heh, we’re in Broward County and on our way down the Turnpike on Thursday, I commented to my wife that the signs listing the transponders they accept all had something covered up. I surmised it was an E-ZPass logo. Didn’t expect them to start accepting it the next day!

Our SunPass Mini is attached with Scotch tape, so removing it will be easy.

There is also another Florida-based transponder that works with both SunPass and E-ZPass, the “Uni” offered by the Central Florida Expressway Authority in Orlando. I had looked into that, but we have E-ZPass Flex devices and neither the Uni nor the SunPass Pro supports the Flex capability, so I’ll stick with our E-ZPasses.
It’s a pain here in central florida. SIL gave me a sun pass on his account but then when I went up to the DMV did not have anything for there. Considered an EZ pass but only works on some roads here. So got the Uni device and works fine in all places. Didn’t know they were going to add EZ pass for the turnpike. Oh well. It’s all the same money.

Offline Natsinpwc

We went on the Florida turnpike today to Costco. At the entrance to it from the Florida greenway (FL 417), it still has the sign “END ACCEPT EZ-PASS”.   Maybe they forgot to remove the signs?

Offline 1995hoo

We went on the Florida turnpike today to Costco. At the entrance to it from the Florida greenway (FL 417), it still has the sign “END ACCEPT EZ-PASS”.   Maybe they forgot to remove the signs?

The issue there is different toll agencies. The GreeneWay is a CFX road, the Turnpike is FTE. Guess the CFX isn’t in a hurry to fix their signs.

Offline Natsinpwc

The issue there is different toll agencies. The GreeneWay is a CFX road, the Turnpike is FTE. Guess the CFX isn’t in a hurry to fix their signs.
Interesting.

The Greenway has big signs at almost every entrance about what devices they accept. Turnpike seems to have nothing.