Author Topic: Who will be on the 26 man roster Opening Day?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Lipscomb went 3-4 today (all singles). Average up to .396

If he isn't on the 26-man, nobody should be on the 26-man.

Offline Mattionals

His BABIP is like .400+ which of course is an indicator that he won't hit .396 in the bigs. I will say though that if he provides average or better defense at 2B/3B, and hits league average, you've got a better player than anyone else on the 40-man who could play those spots.

Offline blue911

All were soft liners or flares. I doubt any had an exit velocity over 85.

Offline imref

Nusbaum says reassigning Rosario to AAA was a procedural move and that he can be added to the 40-man by noon Sunday.

Offline imref

Additonal moves tonight:

* Alex Call, Jacob Young, Drew Millas optioned to AAA
* Jacob Barnes reassigned to minor-league camp

That would imply Rosario, Robles, Thomas, and Winker are the OF's, probably with Winker as the bench option?

Lipscomb survives another day.

Offline imref

Per Zuck: Bullpen is set: Kyle Finnegan, Hunter Harvey, Dylan Floro, Tanner Rainey, Jordan Weems, Robert Garcia (LH), Derek Law, and Matt Barnes.

Offline IanRubbish

Per Zuck: Bullpen is set: Kyle Finnegan, Hunter Harvey, Dylan Floro, Tanner Rainey, Jordan Weems, Robert Garcia (LH), Derek Law, and Matt Barnes.

So 8 guys in the pen + 5 starters means 13 position players.

DH Meneses
C Ruiz, Abrams
1B Gallo
2B/SS/3B - Garcia, Abrams, Senzel, Nunez, Lipscomb, Vargas (one of these will go?)
OF - Rosario, Winker, Robles, Thomas

Yepez is interesting - he's had a solid spring, but so has Winker and Rizzo probably thinks Winker might be more valuable at the deadline.  Yepez is also on a minor league contract.  Like Senzel, he's a free agent due to being non tendered by his previous club, so standard arb years and fa eligibility service time rules don't apply to him.

Offline GataNats

Derek Law and Barnes are trash.  La Sorsa should have made the team over both

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think the last decision is Nunez v Lipscomb. I think they may trade with the Marlins so the Nats can send him to the minors. If there's no deal, then it's either waive him or send Lipscomb down.

How much better is Nunez than Made?

Offline imref

I think the last decision is Nunez v Lipscomb. I think they may trade with the Marlins so the Nats can send him to the minors. If there's no deal, then it's either waive him or send Lipscomb down.

How much better is Nunez than Made?
Or Baker? Doesn't seem to make sense to keep him over Lipscomb. But you could still make a good argument for keeping Nunez and outrighting Senzel who probably would accept assignment to Rochester.

Offline imref

Per Zuck: Matt Barnes, Eddie Rosario and Jesse Winker have had their contracts purchased and added to the 40-man roster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Or Baker? Doesn't seem to make sense to keep him over Lipscomb. But you could still make a good argument for keeping Nunez and outrighting Senzel who probably would accept assignment to Rochester.
if they are not going to give Lipscomb regular at bats in the majors, then keeping Nunez around as the D replacement and pinch runner instead of Lipscomb still makes some sense.

I do get a feeling that we are looking at Steve Lombardozzi / Adrian Sanchez / Jake Alu in Lipscomb right now. We wouldn't be so wrapped up in this but for the poor showing of Senzel in the spring and our skepticism about Garcia's D.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Per Zuck: Matt Barnes, Eddie Rosario and Jesse Winker have had their contracts purchased and added to the 40-man roster.
Derek Law?

Offline imref

fangraphs says Senzel still has options and can be sent to minor league camp while remaining on the 40-man.

Offline imref

Derek Law?
not official yet, but Zuck says he's making the roster.

Offline Natsinpwc

not official yet, but Zuck says he's making the roster.
Have no idea who he is. 

Offline Natsinpwc

I don’t see the purpose of keeping Lipscomb on the opening day roster and then having him sit on the bench. Let him play in Triple A and then call him up when Garcia fails. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Online aspenbubba

I don’t see the purpose of keeping Lipscomb on the opening day roster and then having him sit on the bench. Let him play in Triple A and then call him up when Garcia fails. 

All Lipscomb does is hit. Had another one today and is batting over .400. Let him start at 3B over Senzel. We don’t need Nunez as he is another Jeter downs. Lipscomb can run and play good defense.

Offline Mattionals

fangraphs says Senzel still has options and can be sent to minor league camp while remaining on the 40-man.
This is difficult to figure out, but IanRubbish made a point that the Reds released Senzel, thus making him a free agent. Because he was a free agent, his minor league options were voided and the Nats gave him a major league deal. He can't be optioned to the minors, and must pass through waivers and accept a DFA to stay in the organization.

He is only making 2Million, but I highly doubt ownership would cut ties this early. If he sucks in two months time, he gets cut. Gallo probably has a longer leash because he has a larger contract, but could also be trashed after the trade deadline if he still sucks.

Maybe we are actually going to see Senzel play the OF and Lipscomb at 3B? Then when Garcia Jr. Eventually fails, he gets cut, Lipscomb moves to 2B.

My guesses here are, in order of shortest leashes:

1. Garcia Jr.

2. Robles

3. Senzel

4. Gallo

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
This is difficult to figure out, but IanRubbish made a point that the Reds released Senzel, thus making him a free agent. Because he was a free agent, his minor league options were voided and the Nats gave him a major league deal. He can't be optioned to the minors, and must pass through waivers and accept a DFA to stay in the organization.

He is only making 2Million, but I highly doubt ownership would cut ties this early. If he sucks in two months time, he gets cut. Gallo probably has a longer leash because he has a larger contract, but could also be trashed after the trade deadline if he still sucks.

Maybe we are actually going to see Senzel play the OF and Lipscomb at 3B? Then when Garcia Jr. Eventually fails, he gets cut, Lipscomb moves to 2B.

My guesses here are, in order of shortest leashes:

1. Garcia Jr.

2. Robles

3. Senzel

4. Gallo

I think it's important to remember...they aren't placing any priority on winning this year.  They have already made that pretty evident...

Offline Mattionals

I think it's important to remember...they aren't placing any priority on winning this year.  They have already made that pretty evident...
Oh for sure. If ownership a tually cared, they wouldn't have signed Senzel and Gallo.

Online aspenbubba

Senzel isn’t playing the OF when you have Thomas Robles and Rosario with Winker the #4. Senzel will be the first to be DFA’ed no later than July 4th.

Offline imref

Garcia’s error today didn’t help his cause. Fourth of the spring.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Senzel isn’t playing the OF when you have Thomas Robles and Rosario with Winker the #4. Senzel will be the first to be DFA’ed no later than July 4th.
If they want to load the lineup with righties against a LHP, then Senzel may see OF time with Lipscomb at 3rd (assuming both are on the team).