Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 45029 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't know what the right way to handle a pitcher accidentally hitting 2 guys.   The warnings are to prevent unnecessary retaliations.   So it doesn't really make sense just to warn the guy who can't stop hitting guys.   And to kick that guy out is kind of doing the Cardinals a favor since he doesn't have to pitch to 3 guys.  If you don't warn both teams, then I guess you are saying beaning one guy is ok retribution for a big leaguer who can't help hitting your players.
maybe the  thing to do is to have 2 levels of warnings.  St L gets the hard warning - anything hits a guy, comes inside shoulder and higher off the plate, or is more than 6" inside, your pitcher is gone.  Philly gets the soft warning - your pitchers will be under higher scrutiny, and we may run them if in our judgment he's head hunting.  No automatic dq if they hit a guy below the waist, they can still come inside and high if it isn't a clear attempt to bean a guy, but we may err on the side of caution.