Author Topic: 2023-24 free agency, trades, and signings  (Read 11453 times)

Online Five Banners

Re: 2023-24 free agency, trades, and signings
« Reply #600: March 27, 2024, 11:26:53 AM »
Something just doesn't seem right, all these free agents got low-balled this Winter, I can't recall any offseason being this bad for players since the post 94 strike era.

What didn’t seem right may have been the growing expectation with this particular agency that not only would people pay the top of the market or beyond for the free agents, but then an additional expectation that the teams would have to accept player-only opt outs to the point of eating the later years if the person‘s production had tailed off, or having to renegotiate or let the person walk if they were still looking good. Also, the ones that would be inclined to bid this high already may be dealing with luxury tax issues, otherwise one would’ve thought the Yankees would’ve done a similar deal to what Arizona did.

It seemed to go beyond an area of fungibility to “this is our new model, win-win for us, what you gonna do about it?” I don’t know that it could be chalked up to pure collusive activity for the clients of this agency in particular to be shopping these sorts of deals, but not get people chomping at the bit for it. The diluted playoff system where the most balanced team during the year can have a blip over a week in October and be done also figures to potentially play into this increasingly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #601: March 27, 2024, 01:43:43 PM »
Boras has made a lot of enemies. It wouldn't shock me if certain teams just weren't willing to bid on his free agents any more

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #602: March 27, 2024, 01:46:02 PM »
Something just doesn't seem right, all these free agents got low-balled this Winter, I can't recall any offseason being this bad for players since the post 94 strike era.
Someone should chart the amount of pre-FA extensions that players are signing. I feel like there has been an uptick in extensions and less players hitting free agency in their prime years. Maybe also players are singing extensions because they are coming up to the bigs at younger ages, and thus becoming Free Agents later.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #603: March 27, 2024, 02:06:59 PM »
Boras has made a lot of enemies. It wouldn't shock me if certain teams just weren't willing to bid on his free agents any more

He's been big on the player options lately.   I imagine that's a non-starter for more and more teams.   I can see some teams kicking the tires on these guys with a straight up contract they think has a good chance of getting their money's worth each year.  Unless it is a very top tier guy that is going to sell tickets, no need to play his player option/ridiculous term games.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #604: March 27, 2024, 03:22:43 PM »
Well, these opt out deals help teams get guys for lower up front cost than a straight contract. If a player is good,  then they opt out and the team is not stuck with a guy getting older.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #605: March 27, 2024, 03:47:05 PM »
Well, these opt out deals help teams get guys for lower up front cost than a straight contract. If a player is good,  then they opt out and the team is not stuck with a guy getting older.

It places all of the injury and performance risk on the team. It may be worth it for a superstar, but it is a terrible deal for most teams

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #606: March 27, 2024, 04:21:21 PM »
It places all of the injury and performance risk on the team. It may be worth it for a superstar, but it is a terrible deal for most teams
sure. It's a gamble on the teams part, so they should only do it when they are so concerned about up-front costs that they can take the risk of a getting burned long term.

Consider the first Stras extension. That worked out for the team. The opt-out was after all productive use was extracted from him by the end of 2019. He gave up money he could have gotten on the open market by signing that deal, then he opted out. The dumb decision was to chase him instead of letting him walk, not the decision to sign him to a contract with an opt out.

Xander Bogaerts might turn out to be another good opt out contract for the Red Sox. I think they were able to get him for a couple of years at $19 million when his open market value was in the $25 million range. The savings there for a team in the luxury tax gave them the ability to spend the money on other complementary pieces.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #607: March 27, 2024, 04:24:41 PM »
There are a limited number of teams potentially in on any of these big name pitchers.  I have no doubt that if Nola left the Phillies they would have signed Snell.  Mets were mostly out on big names. Also the Angels now.  As some have said the uncertainties over local tv networks are giving teams pause. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #608: March 27, 2024, 04:30:15 PM »
There are a limited number of teams potentially in on any of these big name pitchers.  I have no doubt that if Nola left the Phillies they would have signed Snell.  Mets were mostly out on big names. Also the Angels now.  As some have said the uncertainties over local tv networks are giving teams pause. 

Boston is cheap now, the Angels are a mess, the Cubs and Giants don't spend any more. The Mets and Yankees seem to be at the number they are willing to spend. The Padres are shedding salary. That really doesn't leave many teams

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #609: March 27, 2024, 04:46:10 PM »
Boston is cheap now, the Angels are a mess, the Cubs and Giants don't spend any more. The Mets and Yankees seem to be at the number they are willing to spend. The Padres are shedding salary. That really doesn't leave many teams
And Phillies signed their own guys. Also Atlanta seems to stay away from big deals. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #610: March 27, 2024, 05:21:33 PM »
boston drawing some heat up there over the Montgomery signing. His wife is a resident at a Boston hospital so there was a thought they'd have an advantage if they made any reasonable offer.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #611: March 27, 2024, 06:12:50 PM »
Dodgers sign Will Smith to a 10 year, $140 million extension. I wonder if this will affect the upcoming Bad Boys sequel.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #612: March 27, 2024, 06:53:38 PM »
Dodgers sign Will Smith to a 10 year, $140 million extension. I wonder if this will affect the upcoming Bad Boys sequel.

So Will bats in an order with Betts, Freeman and a bunch of others yet Meneses had 13 more RBI's than he did in 2023. Just sayin ......