Author Topic: Sean Taylor shot and killed  (Read 4948 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Sean Taylor shot, "fighting for his life"
« Reply #50: November 28, 2007, 08:33:03 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if this was an old grudge come home to roost.  Wasn't it within the last couple of years that Taylor had his car all shot up (while he was in it) by someone probably not anonymous?   

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #51: November 28, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if this was an old grudge come home to roost.  Wasn't it within the last couple of years that Taylor had his car all shot up (while he was in it) by someone probably not anonymous?  

I don't know about that incident, unless that is related to the ATV thing. I'm not suggesting a big conspiracy here. Rather, that his father's police instincts would likely have him keep things very close to the vest even if he knows or suspects a lot more than he says. (That's a contrast with a guy like Cerrato who seemed not to hesitate at all in labeling this a deliberate attack. But Vinny's not an investigator.)

natsfan1a

« Reply #52: November 28, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »
The same thought had occurred to me about his father's police instincts.

I don't know about that incident, unless that is related to the ATV thing. I'm not suggesting a big conspiracy here. Rather, that his father's police instincts would likely have him keep things very close to the vest even if he knows or suspects a lot more than he says. (That's a contrast with a guy like Cerrato who seemed not to hesitate at all in labeling this a deliberate attack. But Vinny's not an investigator.)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #53: November 28, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
I don't know about that incident, unless that is related to the ATV thing. 

Here's a quote from Wilbon this morning, relating the incident to the ATV thing:

I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Angry? Yes. Surprised? Not even a little. It was only in June 2006 that Taylor, originally charged with a felony, pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges after brandishing a gun during a battle over who took his all-terrain vehicles in Florida. After that, an angry crew pulled up on Taylor and his boys and pumped at least 15 bullets into his sport-utility vehicle. So why would anybody be surprised? Had it been Shawn Springs, I would have been stunned. But not Sean Taylor.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #54: November 28, 2007, 11:23:42 AM »
This is really quite a story. I did not realize until I heard it on the radio this morning that Jackie Garcia was Andy Garcia's daughter.

The actor Andy Garcia?

natsfan1a

« Reply #55: November 28, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
Yes, that's what it said in the Post. My husband couldn't remember who he was. I remembered that he was in a Godfather movie, but couldn't remember which one. Wikipedia says that it was Godfather III.

The actor Andy Garcia?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #56: November 28, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »
Down here, the story is that Jackie is Andy Garcia's niece, not his daughter.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #57: November 28, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
Yes, that's what it said in the Post. My husband couldn't remember who he was. I remembered that he was in a Godfather movie, but couldn't remember which one. Wikipedia says that it was Godfather III.

Ocean's Forty Five is probably his latest popular movie

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #58: November 28, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »

I think this is right.

He was in Godfather III (which was a horrible movie that should never have been made).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #59: November 28, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »
I heard something about the car shooting on the radio the other day too. I dont seem to recall hearing about it when it happened though. Seems like it would be newsworthy

natsfan1a

« Reply #60: November 28, 2007, 01:32:29 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think that's what the paper said here, too. My mind is fuzzy with this cold, I think (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it ;) ).

natsfan1a

« Reply #61: November 28, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »
I thought that Pacino was way over the top at times in that one (he tends to be over the top anyway, but it struck me as particularly egregious at some points in that movie).

He was in Godfather III (which was a horrible movie that should never have been made).

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #62: November 28, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »
My mind is fuzzy with this cold, I think (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it ;) ).

Currently 81 and sunny - my problem is that this is napping weather.

natsfan1a

« Reply #63: November 28, 2007, 01:56:23 PM »
Actually I meant a head cold, not the cold weather. Sloppy wording on my part. My problem is that most weather is napping weather as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Currently 81 and sunny - my problem is that this is napping weather.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #64: November 28, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Actually I meant a head cold, not the cold weather. Sloppy wording on my part. My problem is that most weather is napping weather as far as I'm concerned. ;)

I hope you get feeling better soon.

natsfan1a

« Reply #65: November 28, 2007, 02:04:30 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #66: November 28, 2007, 11:09:42 PM »
Antrel Rolle has some interesting things to say

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

Maybe this is why some celebs/athletes feel the need to "keep it real"

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #67: November 29, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »
His comments are fascinating, both for the insight they provide into how difficult it can be to reform your life when others in your community don't want you to, and as an indication of how brave ST might have been in the past few years. Combine that bravery with the sense of immortality and priviledge that a 24-year-old NFL star might have, and you can start to understand why he would return to his house after it had been broken into twice in the past two weeks, and why he might not worry so much about not having a working security system.

natsfan1a

« Reply #68: November 30, 2007, 12:49:31 PM »
WTOP is reporting that three individuals have been detained:

Report: 3 Detained in Taylor Killing
November 30, 2007 - 12:44pm

MIAMI (AP) - Police have detained at least three people in the Fort Myers area for questioning in the death of Washington Redskins football star Sean Taylor, a newspaper reported Friday.

The Miami Herald said on its Web site that investigators believe the suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth.

The suspects include a teenager and two men in their 20s from the Fort Myers area, the paper reported.

But Miami-Dade County police Detective Carlos Maura told The Associated Press he was not aware of anyone in custody. He said only that detectives were in the Fort Myers area for a case, but declined to say which one.

Taylor was shot at his home in the Miami area early Monday during what police called a random burglary. He died a day later from his injuries.

(Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #69: November 30, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
Source: 3 detained for questioning in Sean Taylor murder
By JESSICA GRESKO | Associated Press
1:04 PM EST, November 30, 2007

MIAMI - Police have detained at least three people in the Fort Myers area for questioning in the shooting death of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor, The Associated Press learned Friday.

A law enforcement official in Lee County confirmed the men from the Fort Myers area were in custody, but declined to be named because the investigation is being handled by Miami-Dade County police.

Miami-Dade police Detective Carlos Maura said he was not aware of anyone in custody. He would only say that detectives were in the Fort Myers area for a case, but declined to say which one.

Investigators believe three suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The suspects include two teenagers and a man in his 20s.

A telephone message left at the Florida City Police Department for Taylor's father, Chief Pedro Taylor, was not immediately returned.

Richard Sharpstein, a former Taylor lawyer and family friend, said: ``It looks like the police are pursuing extremely good leads. It appears that the burglary was exactly as I've always stated, not random, that Sean's house was targeted.''

Evidence at Taylor's home in the Miami area indicated one or more intruders barged into the house early Monday in an apparent random burglary, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said Wednesday. After a confrontation inside the home, Taylor was shot once in the upper leg and died early Tuesday after losing a tremendous amount of blood.

Taylor's family has scheduled a funeral service for 11 a.m. Monday at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University in Miami.
Sun-Sentinel

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #70: November 30, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »
Taylor's family has scheduled a funeral service for 11 a.m. Monday at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University in Miami.

The Redskins host the Chicago Bears next Thursday night at 8 pm, so they will need to be preparing their game plan on the trip to and from the memorial service.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #71: November 30, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
What is with this Sharpstein guy? He is way too eager to speak. Is it just to get his name in the paper? Seems like a real hack. Who cares if you were right that the house was targeted? Congrats?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #72: November 30, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
n2p, that video sequence is ridiculous

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #73: November 30, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
n2p, that video sequence is ridiculous

It's entitled Sean Taylor in college.  That was an incredible long pass, with the one-handed grab, and a superb hit by S.T. to dislodge it. 

S.T should have turn the lights on in his bedroom and shouted, "I'm calling the police."  The burglars would have likely run out, and he'd still be alive.  They probably thought he locked the bedroom door to hide jewelry, which they wanted to steal.  So they kicked it in, panicked, and fired when they realized that someone was in the room.  They'll do a lot more time for murder, so the burglars who did NOT shoot probably talked.  The cops can legally separate and tell each of them, "Your buddy just told us that YOU were the one who fired the lethal shot."  That's a good way to get the non-shooters to confess.

Sharpstein is a lawyer who had represented Taylor in one of his legal problems.  (Let the lawyers jokes begin.)  You could make a fortune selling security systems to NFL players and other pro athletes right now.  Most burglars just want to steal things and not get caught.  They didn't think he was home.

S.T., U of Miami     NFL Pro Bowl

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #74: November 30, 2007, 08:58:18 PM »