Poll

What should Rendon's nickname be?

The Grin: no need for explanation
7 (11.7%)
El Martillo:  Spanish for "The Hammer;" earned by the comparison of his wrists and swing to Aaron's
5 (8.3%)
Tony "Two bags":  in honor of his doubles, not his once and maybe future position. sounds vaguely mobbish.
29 (48.3%)
The Hitman:  also has mob overtones
19 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win  (Read 52226 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win
« Reply #350: August 30, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
so, uh, when do we sign the contract extension?

After he proves he's good, before he gets too expensive. Hopefully those times don't overlap like with Desmond and Zimmermann)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #351: August 30, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
After he proves he's good, before he gets too expensive. Hopefully those times don't overlap like with Desmond and Zimmermann)

I think he has established that he is good.  Long-term big money good?  That is debatable but anyone that doesn't think Rendon is good is crazy IMO.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #352: August 30, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
I think he has established that he is good.  Long-term big money good?  That is debatable but anyone that doesn't think Rendon is good is crazy IMO.

Then hopefully we see an extension this off season

Offline Optics

« Reply #353: August 30, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »
Rendon will be an MVP candidate next year after he hits .300 with 25+ bombs and drives in 100 runs hitting 3 hole.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #354: August 30, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
Then hopefully we see an extension this off season

I would actually be all for this, again, depending on the price point.

Offline whytev

« Reply #355: August 30, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
Rendon will be an MVP candidate next year after he hits .300 with 25+ bombs and drives in 100 runs hitting 3 hole.

Ok so next year then.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #356: August 30, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
Once a player has a MVP year it is too late to sign on the cheap. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #357: August 30, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »
Boras client.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #358: August 30, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
Boras client.

So give him Bryce's money

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #359: August 30, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
Okay, we already have him going to the HOF. That's some serious Sunshine there.

Hey, sure, yes, I am biased. But unless he starts breaking his ankle every year again and being injured constantly, I think there is a way better than average chance that he is in the HOF. And finishes with 3,000 hits.

Offline sph274

« Reply #360: August 31, 2014, 05:26:49 AM »
Hey, sure, yes, I am biased. But unless he starts breaking his ankle every year again and being injured constantly, I think there is a way better than average chance that he is in the HOF. And finishes with 3,000 hits.

the guy has one great season. he could very well end up destroying his ankle. we all would have said the same thing about Ryan a few years ago, and now there is no way he is making the HoF.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #361: August 31, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
He's on pace, but every year a bunch of first and second year players are too and the vast majority fall far short of the hof

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #362: August 31, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Let him make an ASG first before we enshrine him in the Cooperstown. He is a very promising young talent and it will be fun to watch him develop.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #363: August 31, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
Let him make an ASG first before we enshrine him in the Cooperstown. He is a very promising young talent and it will be fun to watch him develop.

Should have made the ASG this season

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #364: August 31, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »
the guy has one great season. he could very well end up destroying his ankle. we all would have said the same thing about Ryan a few years ago, and now there is no way he is making the HoF.
Yes, and I agreed with you.
Should have made the ASG this season
Yeah, making the ASG is not a good measure of talent for young players. It's a good measure of popularity earned over the course of a career. If Rendon is making the ASG at age 32 despite there being a couple of better infielders out there, that would mean more than if he made it now.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #365: August 31, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
Yes, and I agreed with you.Yeah, making the ASG is not a good measure of talent for young players. It's a good measure of popularity earned over the course of a career. If Rendon is making the ASG at age 32 despite there being a couple of better infielders out there, that would mean more than if he made it now.

My real point is that it's just a tad premature  to mention him and the hof in same sentence at this point.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #366: August 31, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
He's on pace, but every year a bunch of first and second year players are too and the vast majority fall far short of the hof

This. MLBN mentioned Trout as being hof bound and I was even annoyed by that.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #367: August 31, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »
MLBN mentioned Trout as being hof bound and I was even annoyed by that.

Hey, I understand your POV. I think we probably agree, in the end. Every given player, even Mike Trout, has a tiny % chance of making it. What I'm really saying, I guess, is that if you ignore the risk of injuries for a moment, Rendon (and Trout, and some other guys) are the kind of player so skilled and so disciplined that they are unlikely to flame out after a couple years. The hitting skills we're seeing out there are not a one-year wonder, and I'd even be kind of surprised if his batting approach produces a Starlin Castro-style pattern of one entire year where he's just completely lost.

So that's why I'm going full SSS jacket. If he manages to stay healthy, I can see this being the first of a half-dozen 6 WAR seasons.

EDIT: Also, I'm a medium-to-big-Hall guy. Like, to me, Adrian Beltre is a Hall of Famer for sure.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #368: August 31, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
I still think he needs to put up at least two or three years of production before you can have even the beginnings of a hof discussion. I can't tell you how many players look great after one year and then the league finds a weakness that brings them down go earth.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #369: August 31, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
I still think he needs to put up at least two or three years of production before you can have even the beginnings of a hof discussion. I can't tell you how many players look great after one year and then the league finds a weakness that brings them down go earth.
2034 season avatar bet ;)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #370: September 28, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
This guy is gonna be in MVP races for years to come. Great season.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #371: September 29, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Rendon finished fourth in the major leagues in fWAR. He was second in the NL to McCutchen.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #372: September 29, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
Rendon finished fourth in the major leagues in fWAR. He was second in the NL to McCutchen.
You are counting batters only. He also finished behind Kershaw and the Corey Kluber Society.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #373: September 29, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
You are counting batters only. He also finished behind Kershaw and the Corey Kluber Society.

I don't think those stats are on the same scale or comparable. FanGraphs has an issue with how it labels it's stats. But you're right. Fourth most position player value.

Offline Clever

« Reply #374: October 06, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
FACE 2.0