Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 36214 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Can we all agree at this point that it's not realistic to think there might be a post season bid for the Nats in 2021?  It all came crashing down in the past few days.  The Mets are going to win the NL East.  Given this fact and the fact that we've already won a World Series recently, I believe the fans can stomach a TOTAL rebuild, with nothing off the table except for trading Max, who should retire a Nat.  Even Strasburg, after getting healthy, should be unloaded for whatever they could get for him (maybe he has a no-trade clause?).
No. They lost four in a row against the best team in the league.  After a great stretch.  Four and a half back pending tonight’s game. Need to see what happens this week. 

If you are going to sell, Max is the main guy you want to deal. However it seems he and Boras have put conditions on that to make it difficult.  At this point what would you get for most of the others? 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I am not so eager to "enjoy" a tanking season or three. Get back some injured players.

I remember 1955 - 1959, then all the Expansion Nats seasons, except for 1959. The the New Nats until 2011. It was like the perpetual might of the living dead.

Draft some hitters. Gather some pitchers in the later round -- 5th +

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
No. They lost four in a row against the best team in the league.  After a great stretch.  Four and a half back pending tonight’s game. Need to see what happens this week. 

If you are going to sell, Max is the main guy you want to deal. However it seems he and Boras have put conditions on that to make it difficult.  At this point what would you get for most of the others?
The Mets are an excellent team.  The Nats are not an excellent team.  Only one team from the NL East will make the post season.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Overreacting this severely over a four game series must be exhausting, even if it is a shtick. 

Offline Natsinpwc

The Mets are an excellent team.  The Nats are not an excellent team.  Only one team from the NL East will make the post season.
The Mets are not an excellent team. Or else they would be further ahead. They would be far behind in the other divisions. No harm in waiting another week or so. 

So who would you trade and what would you get for them? 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Overreacting this severely over a four game series must be exhausting, even if it is a shtick. 
Its not overreacting, its simply understanding the situation the team is in.

Schwarber is not coming back for 6-12 weeks. He pulled a hamstring. He said he felt a pop. He's not coming back for a while.

And took Schwarber having a historically good stretch and dominant pitching to get this team over .500. Its simply unrealistic to assume Schwarber will hit 50+ home runs, and that Fedde and Ross are going to perform like aces. Strasburg isnt coming back. Corbin isnt getting better. Lester  can barely get through 5. And at this point, its pretty safe to say that Soto's season is going to be really good and not spectacular like the Nats needed it to be.

Theres nothing here. And pretending that Ian Kennedy and Asdrubal Cabrera will fix this team is silly. The Nats have needed a big, middle of the order bat, since 2019 ended. It aint Bell and it aint Kieboom. And we both know Rizzo wont give up the prospects to get a Trevor Story or Ketel Marte.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Henry sucks and is a future reliever. Oh and hurt.

We are selling, not buying. Rizzo needs to do the right thing and trade Scherzer and Hand ASAP. Then look to move Turner in the offseason

Henry does not suck.  Also what about Rutledge’s performance, frame, and injuries tell you he’s not MORE likely than Henry to wind up a reliever?

Online Slateman

Henry does not suck.  Also what about Rutledge’s performance, frame, and injuries tell you he’s not MORE likely than Henry to wind up a reliever?
Henry has average breaking stuff and has yet to have a healthy season. Or even a healthy half season.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Henry has average breaking stuff and has yet to have a healthy season. Or even a healthy half season.

Yeah because he was drafted last year and didn’t have a minor league season so he and everyone else from last year is behind the 8 ball. 

Far more likely Rutledge ends up a high-leverage reliever and Henry winds up a 4-5 starter.  I was never saying Henry is going to be a stud. 

Online Slateman

Yeah because he was drafted last year and didn’t have a minor league season so he and everyone else from last year is behind the 8 ball. 

Far more likely Rutledge ends up a high-leverage reliever and Henry winds up a 4-5 starter.  I was never saying Henry is going to be a stud. 
Henry had shoulder and elbow issues before the pandemic.

Your ceiling for Henry is a 4/5 starter.
The ceiling for Rutledge is 1/2 starter.

Offline Natsinpwc

Cubs have lost nine in a row.  8.5 behind the Brewers and 7 behind in the Wild Card.  So they just might be selling Bryant. 

Offline UMDNats

Not a trade but the Dodgers just DFA'd Souza. He should be a Nat by tomorrow. Right-handed OF who is, at worst, an upgrade to our depth.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Not a trade but the Dodgers just DFA'd Souza. He should be a Nat by tomorrow. Right-handed OF who is, at worst, an upgrade to our depth.
not crazy.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Take a look at his stats past few years. They've been rough. I'm not certain he is better than Gerardo Parra, much less Andrew Stevenson when he is back. They're both better than him in the field. And his bat isn't useful enough as a PH for him to take a spot over a reliever with our awful starting pitching right now.

Offline UMDNats

Take a look at his stats past few years. They've been rough. I'm not certain he is better than Gerardo Parra, much less Andrew Stevenson when he is back. They're both better than him in the field. And his bat isn't useful enough as a PH for him to take a spot over a reliever with our awful starting pitching right now.

13 games this year, 11 last year. mashing in AAA at least. Our OF depth is so terrible that taking a flyer on a guy hoping he gets hot is worth it IMO. Schwarber is out for a while, parra is probably not very good, agree on stevenson.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
13 games this year, 11 last year. mashing in AAA at least. Our OF depth is so terrible that taking a flyer on a guy hoping he gets hot is worth it IMO. Schwarber is out for a while, parra is probably not very good, agree on stevenson.
If they can somehow get him and toss him in Rochester, I'm for it.

And Parra is nothing more than a AAAA 5th OF. Nothing wrong with that unless you have a couple OFs go down, which is happening with Schwarber out and Soto looking like he needs a trip to the "mental break" DL.

Offline Natsinpwc

Baby Shark > Take on Me. 

Offline UMDNats

Baby Shark > Take on Me. 

steven souza =/= michael morse

Offline Natsinpwc

steven souza =/= michael morse
I thought they were the same guy?

Offline welch

Daughter and I went to watch Harrisburg. I was especially interested in a Nats 1st round choice named Brian Goodwin. Not impressed that day. However, I saw a kid named Billy Burns who seems too fast for the other team to get out, and who made a Willie Harris like one-hand somersaulting catch of of a twisting line drive down the LF line. Burns looked a bit small for a major leaguer. I might have read about Burns a WNFF minors / prospects entry.

However, my big surprise was to see a big OF named Steven Souza, Jr., hit hard and run the bases as fast, I thought, as Burns. We were sitting behind the Senators' dugout and looked into Souza's face as he roared through home plate. Intense? No, more than that.

And then The Catch.

It would be great to have Souza back with the Nats.

Online Slateman

Yea, pass. If we're getting another outfielder they need to either be a full time CFer, or be money against LHP. Souza is neither of those things

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
OTOH, they could probably use a righty hitting outfielder.  Maybe Souza isn't the guy, but someone.

Offline welch

OTOH, they could probably use a righty hitting outfielder.  Maybe Souza isn't the guy, but someone.

I suspect that Souza is better than Yadiel H. Sign him, put him at Rochester, and compare.

Offline UMDNats

souza is just a "this guy could get hot for 2 weeks and provide a boost" addition, nothing more. i don't expect much but think we need depth and he seems like a good candidate

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
We do need a RH OF bat. With Zim cold as ice we really need help on the bench from the right side.