Author Topic: It's over for Drew Storen -- Or is it?  (Read 42007 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Soriano has done more damage than DREW tonight.   He'll probably blame it on Werth

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I guess his career is over Slate.
Naw, we can use him for 5th inning fodder

No runners on base is always the ideal. 

Yes

Soriano has done more damage than DREW tonight.   He'll probably blame it on Werth
I know caveman hit an important homerun last year, but what has he done for us lately?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I know caveman hit an important homerun last year, but what has he done for us lately?
Since coming off the DL he's hit .297/.375/.484.  Or if you mean like last week lately it would be .364/.462/.455.  Or if you mean yesterday lately it would be 1.000/1.000/1.500.

So yeah...

Offline Optics

I said this in the gameday thread and I'll say it again:

Soriano has been underwhelming. He's not terrible, but he's not a lockdown automatic closer. He ALWAYS puts on baserunners, it's never an easy 1-2-3 with him it feels like.

I can't trust Storen anymore. He just looks so scared out there all the time.

Krol is our best RP right now.

Offline Mr Clean

I said this in the gameday thread and I'll say it again:

Soriano has been underwhelming. He's not terrible, but he's not a lockdown automatic closer. He ALWAYS puts on baserunners, it's never an easy 1-2-3 with him it feels like.

I can't trust Storen anymore. He just looks so scared out there all the time.

Krol is our best RP right now.
If they don't make him a starter again Krol will be a closer very soon.

Offline Optics

If they don't make him a starter again Krol will be a closer very soon.

How long is Soriano's contract, is it just one year or two years? I'd love to see Krol close next year, but if Soriano is still here he'll probably have to close.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
How long is Soriano's contract, is it just one year or two years? I'd love to see Krol close next year, but if Soriano is still here he'll probably have to close.

Two years. So plenty of time for Krol to work himself in to the set up man's role after we trade Clippard or Storen

Offline PC

As a ratio of salary to performance, I trust Storen more than Soriano.

Offline Optics

Two years. So plenty of time for Krol to work himself in to the set up man's role after we trade Clippard or Storen

Sounds like a plan. Krol takes over as set up man next year, then steps into the closer's role in 2015.

Offline madj55

2 years for an absurd $28 million. Soriano isn't worth that money, hell, no reliever is worth that kind of money especially if they only pitch one inning. Soriano's attitude rubs me the wrong way too...doesn't seem like he fits the mold of one of Rizzo's "clubhouse" guys.

Offline Optics

2 years for an absurd $28 million. Soriano isn't worth that money, hell, no reliever is worth that kind of money especially if they only pitch one inning. Soriano's attitude rubs me the wrong way too...doesn't seem like he fits the mold of one of Rizzo's "clubhouse" guys.

Meh, the $ doesn't bother me. There is no cap in baseball and we have owners with deep pockets.

Soriano does seem to come across as a bit of a malcontent though, confirmed after the Harper incident. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, I mean I don't think his presence is causing us to lose games or anything like that. It's fine as long as he produces but he's not exactly Rivera or Kimbrel on the mound even when he gets saves.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
2 years for an absurd $28 million. Soriano isn't worth that money, hell, no reliever is worth that kind of money especially if they only pitch one inning.
Soriano's attitude rubs me the wrong way too...doesn't seem like he fits the mold of one of Rizzo's "clubhouse" guys.
Those damn Lerners, handing out massive contracts :smh:

Offline madj55

Those damn Lerners, handing out massive contracts :smh:
Hey, I was never in the boat that said they were cheap!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Rafael Soriano - 2.53 ERA, 1.188 WHIP, 20/23 SV, 5.4 K/BB

If you guys are complaining about numbers like that I don't know what kinda numbers could possibly make you happy.

Ian Krol has pitched a total of 8 2/3 innings in his entire major league career so far.  Let's wait and let him get some sample size before we anoint him the chosen one.  He's been getting by on a ++ fastball but he'll need to refine his secondary pitches more to be a back end of the bullpen kinda guy moving forward.  He's had a great start to his career but right now I trust Drew Storen WAY more than I trust Krol in high leverage situations and it isn't even close.

Offline Optics

Rafael Soriano - 2.53 ERA, 1.188 WHIP, 20/23 SV, 5.4 K/BB

Here is how Soriano compares in some key stats...

Ks:

Soriano: 27
Kimbrel: 43
Grilli: 58
Mujica: 28
Chapman: 56
Romo: 34

Opp BA:

Soriano: .262
Kimbrel: .200
Grilli: .181
Mujica: .186
Chapman: .185
Romo: .217

I'd like to see more Ks and less hits from a guy we're paying so much for.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Here is how Soriano compares in some key stats...

Ks:

Soriano: 27
Kimbrel: 43
Grilli: 58
Mujica: 28
Chapman: 56
Romo: 34

Opp BA:

Soriano: .262
Kimbrel: .200
Grilli: .181
Mujica: .186
Chapman: .185
Romo: .217

I'd like to see more Ks and less hits from a guy we're paying so much for.

You know what I want him to do?  Close out games.

You know what he's done?  Close out games.

Offline Optics

Fair enough. I guess my standards are just a bit higher considering his salary and status.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

I think I'm with mimo on this. I don't care how Soriano does it...even if he made me nervous last night...as long as he closes out a win. Same with Clippard when he was closing and now that he is protecting (a lead, I hope). Storen throws a couple of mean pitches. Kroll has looked good so far, so I'm not complaining.

More worried about replacing Haren and getting more hits. It will be fun to have both Rendon and Harper in the same lineup.

drew storen havent allowed an earned run in his 14 of 15 apperances.  :mg:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Since May 26th Storen's numbers are 12.2 IP, 2.19 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 4.25 K/BB

He's really gotten it together.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Storen will be the closer of the franchise again, sooner than later.

Rizz was smart in knowing that he would have a big burden on him if he was the closer early this year after the playoff debacle. The plan was to use Soriano and ease Storen back in to the closer role.

They will trade Soriano at some point. I would  be shocked if he played both years of his contract here. They may have to pick up part of his contract, though....

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Storen will be the closer of the franchise again, sooner than later.

Rizz was smart in knowing that he would have a big burden on him if he was the closer early this year after the playoff debacle. The plan was to use Soriano and ease Storen back in to the closer role.

They will trade Soriano at some point. I would  be shocked if he played both years of his contract here. They may have to pick up part of his contract, though....

Well thanks to our fans finally going to games, we are rolling in $$$.  So we can pick up part of his contract without batting an eyelid.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Once a Yankee always a Yankee. 
Meh, the $ doesn't bother me. There is no cap in baseball and we have owners with deep pockets.

Soriano does seem to come across as a bit of a malcontent though, confirmed after the Harper incident. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, I mean I don't think his presence is causing us to lose games or anything like that. It's fine as long as he produces but he's not exactly Rivera or Kimbrel on the mound even when he gets saves.

Offline PC

Soriano does seem to come across as a bit of a malcontent who constantly has men on base though, confirmed after the Harper incident. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, I mean I don't think his presence is causing us to lose games or anything like that. It's fine as long as he produces but he's not exactly Rivera or Kimbrel on the mound even when he gets saves.

FTFY

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I like the Soriano glare: "Drag that bat back to your dugout!" Reminds me of Cordero's (maybe) last inning, pitching bottom of the 8th at Shea on a cold April night when the Nats looked like they had given up after realizing that only Ryan Z belonged in the majors. Cordero barely managed 81 mph with his fastball, but his whole attitude -- face, posture -- seemed to intimidate the Mets...who had a two or three run lead.