Author Topic: Fundamentals: Just For RL04, How the Mets Got Great at Baserunning  (Read 499 times)

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
Nice article in BP on baserunning...perhaps Trent Jewett should read this. 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21474

I think one of the fatal flaws with the Nats is their inability to execute the fundamentals.  I kinda hope the new manager brings in an entirely new coaching staff and focuses on those fundamentals, like baserunning, bunting, holding runners on, etc.

Offline monkeyhit

Thanks. great article. Send a copy to our new manager and his coaches.  Be wasted on Johnson & Co.

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Damnit. This is what I hoped the Nats would be. The team that manufactures runs, demoralizes other teams, has internal competitions, etc.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Nice article in BP on baserunning...perhaps Trent Jewett should read this. 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21474

I think one of the fatal flaws with the Nats is their inability to execute the fundamentals.  I kinda hope the new manager brings in an entirely new coaching staff and focuses on those fundamentals, like baserunning, bunting, holding runners on, etc.
IN other words, get a baserunning coach who was good at running the bases.

Offline RL04

Oh, my gosh.  I've made it into a thread title.  I am so proud.

I'd like to thank the academy ...    ;)

Anyway, I think players on all teams make very basic baserunning errors that they should have learned in LL but, yes, the Nats seem to be lacking in basic fundamentals ... which was written about in the Post yesterday and today ... not holding runners on base (Storen Game 5, St. Stephen in general) not being able to bunt (Gio in Braves series), pinch hitters not moving runners over, the list goes on and on.

And, I hate to say this, but I feel a lot of the "fundamentals" problem is hubris ... like I stated the other day ... we're good players so we will win, even though we're playing badly, it's only a matter of time.   Well, time has run out I'm sorry to say.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Oh, my gosh.  I've made it into a thread title.  I am so proud.

I'd like to thank the academy ...    ;)

Anyway, I think players on all teams make very basic baserunning errors that they should have learned in LL but, yes, the Nats seem to be lacking in basic fundamentals ... which was written about in the Post yesterday and today ... not holding runners on base (Storen Game 5, St. Stephen in general) not being able to bunt (Gio in Braves series), pinch hitters not moving runners over, the list goes on and on.

And, I hate to say this, but I feel a lot of the "fundamentals" problem is hubris ... like I stated the other day ... we're good players so we will win, even though we're playing badly, it's only a matter of time.   Well, time has run out I'm sorry to say.

They are a talented lot...mostly...except for the Roach and the bench.  They were not prepared for this season, and only one man is to blame for that.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
They are a talented lot...mostly...except for the Roach and the bench.  They were not prepared for this season, and only one man is to blame for that.

I think there are about 30 or 35 guys to blame. All-around fail.

Great article. I've had a feeling that the Mets hustle more than the Nats...the article confirms my instinct. If only...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I think there are about 30 or 35 guys to blame. All-around fail.

Great article. I've had a feeling that the Mets hustle more than the Nats...the article confirms my instinct. If only...

When 30-35 men fail...only 1 man is to blame for that.

Offline blue911

BRR is interesting but not indicative of anything meaningful. The Nate were 30th last season and 21st this year. The Tigers were 28th in 2012 and dead last this season. The HA_OPPS column seems to be a better indicator Stat.