Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 84007 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline houston-nat

Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #676: October 13, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
The only liquor I drink straight besides cognac (mmmm)

Hey Nathan,

I am clueless about cognac and armagnac and brandy. But based on the description, and my dad's drinking habits, and the number of really delicious cocktails that cognac is in, I feel like I will like it.

But like I said: 100% totally clueless. So, uh...what's it like? And what to look for when shopping? Any recommendations for a sipping drink vs. a cocktail mixing one? Someone said armagnac is like cognac for scotch lovers*? Help!

*not a scotch lover btw.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #677: October 13, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
Hey Nathan,

I am clueless about cognac and armagnac and brandy. But based on the description, and my dad's drinking habits, and the number of really delicious ****tails that cognac is in, I feel like I will like it.

But like I said: 100% totally clueless. So, uh...what's it like? And what to look for when shopping? Any recommendations for a sipping drink vs. a ****tail mixing one? Someone said armagnac is like cognac for scotch lovers*? Help!

*not a scotch lover btw.

Would like to learn some more too. Had some brews aged in cognac barrels and they were fantastic.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #678: October 13, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
Hey Nathan,

I am clueless about cognac and armagnac and brandy. But based on the description, and my dad's drinking habits, and the number of really delicious cocktails that cognac is in, I feel like I will like it.

But like I said: 100% totally clueless. So, uh...what's it like? And what to look for when shopping? Any recommendations for a sipping drink vs. a cocktail mixing one? Someone said armagnac is like cognac for scotch lovers*? Help!

*not a scotch lover btw.

Why don't you like scotch- if it's the harshness then cognac probably isn't for you

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #679: October 13, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »
Why don't you like scotch- if it's the harshness then cognac probably isn't for you

I love whiskeys but never cared for Scotch.  It's not harsh, just don't care for the flavor. 

American whiskeys are it for me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #680: October 13, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
I love whiskeys but never cared for Scotch.  It's not harsh, just don't care for the flavor. 

I'm with TT on this   .....    though I am a rum man.    :)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #681: October 13, 2015, 09:54:44 PM »
Hey Nathan,

*not a scotch lover btw.

Banana cognac smoothie or juiced the way to go

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #682: October 13, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

I don't care for Islay peaty stuff, but there's a lot of scotches that i love-Aberlour and other speysides especially (although i think you get a much better bang for your buck with American whist- particularly non bourbon)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #683: October 13, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
I'm kinda with Tom, give me bourbon instead - but I am not super well versed in scotch and have only tried 3-4 brands (though this includes both cheap crap and Lagavulin). Still learning about the Americans too.

Thanks though, this is helpful.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #684: October 13, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
Terp - Baileys Comets are made for you

Offline dracnal

« Reply #685: October 14, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Brandy is a distilled wine that is typically aged, but does not have to be.
Cognac is brandy that is distilled twice in copper pots, then cask aged for at least two years and made with grapes specifically and only from the Cognac region.
Cognac is to Brandy as Champagne is to Sparkling Wine.

You can actually get some pretty solid brandies from Spain or Mexico at MUCH better prices than the Cognacs.  Look for a bottle of Fundador or some similar brand - they're typically right next to the Cognacs and are priced around $20 for a 750 bottle.

For Cognac, they grade like this:
VS (Very Special) - 2 years aging
VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale) -  4 years aging
XO (Extra Old) - 6 years aging

Spanish brandy tends to get moved to new casks each year it ages and is often placed in barrels used to make Sherry, which gives it a slight fruit note. I actually prefer it to Cognac.

Lastly, Armagnac is just another region in France that produces a specific standard of brandy. France is really big on locking down on a product to create a highly protected brand.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #686: October 14, 2015, 02:35:59 PM »
if you're going the brandy route and want to taste around you might want to try Calvados too (distilled cider; it's pretty good if you can get your hands on it- it's one area where the cheap stuff isn't worth wasting your money on though, most of that is great for cooking but terrible to drink straight)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #687: October 14, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
if you're going the brandy route and want to taste around you might want to try Calvados too (distilled cider; it's pretty good if you can get your hands on it- it's one area where the cheap stuff isn't worth wasting your money on though, most of that is great for cooking but terrible to drink straight)

I've found $20 to be the mark for brandy. If it's below that, I totally agree with HalfSmokes.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #688: October 14, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
Brandy is a distilled wine that is typically aged, but does not have to be.
Cognac is brandy that is distilled twice in copper pots, then cask aged for at least two years and made with grapes specifically and only from the Cognac region.
Cognac is to Brandy as Champagne is to Sparkling Wine.

You can actually get some pretty solid brandies from Spain or Mexico at MUCH better prices than the Cognacs.  Look for a bottle of Fundador or some similar brand - they're typically right next to the Cognacs and are priced around $20 for a 750 bottle.

For Cognac, they grade like this:
VS (Very Special) - 2 years aging
VSOP (Very Superior Old Pale) -  4 years aging
XO (Extra Old) - 6 years aging

Spanish brandy tends to get moved to new casks each year it ages and is often placed in barrels used to make Sherry, which gives it a slight fruit note. I actually prefer it to Cognac.

Lastly, Armagnac is just another region in France that produces a specific standard of brandy. France is really big on locking down on a product to create a highly protected brand.

Thanks!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #690: December 25, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »
Hubs made me try Japanese whiskey tonight-only whiskey I've ever had straight is Fireball but this stuff was delicious!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #691: December 25, 2015, 04:16:44 AM »
Looks great Skippy.  Wish I had seen this yesterday to bring to the in-laws gathering

Hubs made me try Japanese whiskey tonight-only whiskey I've ever had straight is Fireball but this stuff was delicious!

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline whytev

« Reply #692: December 25, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

How is it coffee grain? Weird. Nikka's other options (particularly their "From the Barrel") are delicious!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #693: December 25, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
How is it coffee grain? Weird. Nikka's other options (particularly their "From the Barrel") are delicious!

Coffey, not coffee.  I immediately said I don't like coffee when we were offered some but I think the guy said coffey referred to the type of still or something, but I may be mistaken because I had a couple of those suckers and it's all kind of fuzzy :lol: Was really, really good stuff. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #694: December 25, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »
Coffey, not coffee.  I immediately said I don't like coffee when we were offered some but I think the guy said coffey referred to the type of still or something, but I may be mistaken because I had a couple of those suckers and it's all kind of fuzzy :lol: Was really, really good stuff.

Given that I work in the coffee industry, my mistake is rather embarrassing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #695: December 25, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »

Booze like a lot of other things is getting what you pay for - high end whiskey tends to be yummy. drinking a mini of mount gay 1703 that came with the bigger bottle of regular mount gay - not bad, I'm not switching but not bad

Offline whytev

« Reply #696: December 25, 2015, 10:11:30 PM »

Booze like a lot of other things is getting what you pay for - high end whiskey tends to be yummy. drinking a mini of mount gay 1703 that came with the bigger bottle of regular mount gay - not bad, I'm not switching but not bad

The best rum is Ron Zacapa 23.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #697: December 25, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
The best rum is Ron Zacapa 23.
I'm happy with regular old mount gay (i blame coming from a navy family), but I usually don't drink rum straight

Offline whytev

« Reply #698: December 25, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
I'm happy with regular old mount gay (i blame coming from a navy family), but I usually don't drink rum straight

Neither did I until I went to Guatemala and got served the Zacapa.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #699: December 26, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
I have a bottle of Barrilito 3 stars I picked up in Puerto Rico back in 1988 when I visited a friend who was clerking down there and his wife.   This was before they had kids.  He used to make an excellent pina colada with it using Lotus pineapple juice.  I'm saving the thing either for a retirement toast with the family or else bringing it to  their first daughter's wedding.  Barrilito I don't think is high end rum but it is one of the set of rums from PR.