September 14th - 4:05pm game vs. Fish
4 (57.1%)
September 28th - 4:05pm game vs. Philthies
2 (28.6%)
Other - let us know what you think
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closes: May 31, 2024, 08:31:58 PM

Author Topic: WNFF M&G MMXXIV  (Read 501 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: WNFF M&G MMXXIV
« Reply #25: March 08, 2024, 08:56:40 PM »
Sugar is extremely addictive.

I’ve become a huge fan of Peter Attia and am reading his book Outlive now. Highly recommend it.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #26: March 08, 2024, 09:26:06 PM »
One good thing about getting older is what Tom mentioned when you have Medicare, insurance will pay 100 percent of your gym membership.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: March 08, 2024, 09:34:01 PM »
I have a new volunteering colleague, he's only been in the US just over a year now, from Belgium.  While overall he LOVES his US experience, he never ceases to be amazed by how sugar in its various, insidious forms, finds its way into products that really have no need for sugar.  Bread, for instance.  Read the label on sandwich bread sometime, it's a stunner how nearly all of them have sugar added.  Maybe you can find a sourdough without it, but good luck.  How about salad dressings?   :spaz:

In a way it's not your fault, we are all surrounded by bad over-sugared and processed foods that bear little resemblance to real food.  Still, we all have the power to take corrective action.  The farmers' market is our friend.  There ARE ways to get real food.
Or I could just take up smoking like the Europeans.

I lost about 15 pounds three or four years ago and have stayed at that weight.  165 is still too much for 5’8”.  But so be it.  Biggest bummer is that the stomach stayed the same even losing the 15.  Play tennis once or twice a week and try and walk as much as possible.  Some of the grandkids still make me carry them around or chase them.  Which burns calories but hurts my back. LOL. I’m mostly focused on the A1C.  Had been in the low 6 range but up to 7.6 this time.   :icon_frown:  Doctor uping the dose of one medicine.  Will see what happens.

I actually eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.  It’s too much other stuff. But I like potatoes and bread. Total cholesterol has been low for years.  As far as diet just trying to not eat anything or a small snack after 8pm. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: March 09, 2024, 11:48:02 AM »
OK to keep on talking about food and weight loss here, but don't forget the M&G poll for dates and to indicate whether you are in.

On the topic of bread and sugar, I don't mind a little sweetness to whole wheat or multigrain. I checked my TJ's multigrain, and it has honey and brown sugar down around 5th in its ingredients. 80 cal a slice, 5 grams of fiber.

Offline blue911

« Reply #29: March 09, 2024, 06:51:33 PM »
I have a new volunteering colleague, he's only been in the US just over a year now, from Belgium.  While overall he LOVES his US experience, he never ceases to be amazed by how sugar in its various, insidious forms, finds its way into products that really have no need for sugar.  Bread, for instance.  Read the label on sandwich bread sometime, it's a stunner how nearly all of them have sugar added.  Maybe you can find a sourdough without it, but good luck.  How about salad dressings?   :spaz:

In a way it's not your fault, we are all surrounded by bad over-sugared and processed foods that bear little resemblance to real food.  Still, we all have the power to take corrective action.  The farmers' market is our friend.  There ARE ways to get real food.

Sugar accelerates the fermentation process in bread.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #30: March 10, 2024, 11:38:48 AM »
I would have to request off regardless of the date, so the day doesn't really matter to me.  But I'd like to attend and meet up with some of you guys.  Will keep an eye on this thread.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: March 10, 2024, 02:46:17 PM »
I would have to request off regardless of the date, so the day doesn't really matter to me.  But I'd like to attend and meet up with some of you guys.  Will keep an eye on this thread.
do week nights in town, or a 4 PM getaway, work better for some folks than weekends? We don't have to limit ourselves to just one event.