Author Topic: The Former Nationals Watch (2024)  (Read 1661 times)

Online blue911

Re: Re: The Former Nationals Watch (2023)
« Reply #75: February 21, 2024, 06:17:01 PM »
This is the most national publicity the Angels will get all year.  Other than Mike Trout trade rumors.

MLB does such a good job of marketing the sport.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #76: February 21, 2024, 07:33:52 PM »
For sure. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: February 21, 2024, 07:48:24 PM »
For sure. 

I hear they are trying to have Soto date Cindy Lauper

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #78: February 21, 2024, 07:49:16 PM »

It's become a gimmick league...bobbleheads, t-shirts, a special night for pretty much any cause, etc.

They even have a Mike Rizzo Bobblehead this year.  Sounds redundant...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: February 21, 2024, 08:42:23 PM »

They even have a Mike Rizzo Bobblehead this year.  Sounds redundant...
I was new in an agency and Mister B was in my chain of command two levels above me. Senior Executive which like less than five percent ever make.  He was not too bright so I asked around and was told he was a yes man for his boss Mister A who took him along as he lived up.  One guy told me a story about a meeting they were in. Mister A started nodding up and down so Mister B of course did the same.  Then Mister A started nodding side to side so Mister B did the same.  Then the discussion got more complex and Mister B grew flustered as he could not keep up with the direction of the nods. Mike has perfected his nodding over the years.  Those bobblehead nods may look random but they are well practiced. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #81: February 22, 2024, 08:33:47 AM »
Svrluga on Rendon: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/22/anthony-rendon-baseball-angels/

It's hard for me to criticize anyone who says faith and family come before work. I took that perspective too when I basically quit trying to climb in the org I work at in order to move to support my parents when they were ill. I buy this from him:

“I love baseball,” Rendon told my colleague Dave Sheinin in 2018, an interview that offered rare insight into what makes Rendon tick. “I love being on the field. I love competing. But I’m not a fan of everything that comes with it. No offense — I’m not a fan of the interviews. I’m not a fan of people coming in the clubhouse. I’m not a fan of everyone treating you different because you play a sport. How am I different than anyone else? I’m a human being, and I have my faults, too.”

He's not a great PR guy. So what. The article makes it seem like the standoffish and curt responses are a way he's calculated to give himself space. If you want to get an impolitic reaction from him to run with in the press, you know how to get it (See the last question in the interview that started this latest round of criticism). But before you carve him up, remember he's also the guy who was all over the Nats youth baseball program, and that his priorities of faith and family are pretty normal.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #82: February 22, 2024, 10:18:37 AM »
He owes it to the Angels organization who have paid him so much money to be a better representative of the team. It wouldn't hurt him to be more friendly to the press that cover the Angels. I would think all players care about their families more than baseball but they still are decent with the press. Some of the pleasure of watching your team play is taken away when the player you're rooting for to play well goes out of his way to be a jerk.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #83: February 22, 2024, 11:16:54 AM »
MLB's Morrissey

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: February 22, 2024, 11:19:46 AM »
He owes it to the Angels organization who have paid him so much money to be a better representative of the team. It wouldn't hurt him to be more friendly to the press that cover the Angels. I would think all players care about their families more than baseball but they still are decent with the press. Some of the pleasure of watching your team play is taken away when the player you're rooting for to play well goes out of his way to be a jerk.
they knew how he dealt with press and fans when they signed him. They've got a right to expect him to try to perform up to what was expected and to try to come back from injuries, but to become a better PR guy is a bit much.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #85: February 22, 2024, 11:23:59 AM »
I disagree.  Every public-facing employee is expected to be a goodwill ambassador for their organisation.  Every place I've ever worked, anyways...admittedly I haven't worked for Aeroflot or the DC government.
they knew how he dealt with press and fans when they signed him. They've got a right to expect him to try to perform up to what was expected and to try to come back from injuries, but to become a better PR guy is a bit much.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: February 22, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
I still remember when the 1980 Phillies tried to spray Steve Carlton with champagne.  He waived them off and retreated to the trainers room with a bottle of one his vintage wines.  He was a weirdo too but a helluva pitcher. I guess in those days the contracts didn’t say they had to take with the press.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #87: February 22, 2024, 12:08:50 PM »

I don't remember him ever going after fans when he was a Nat like he did last year. I also don't ever remember him acting like that to the press. He was a total a__.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #88: February 22, 2024, 12:13:59 PM »
The Angels major problem is that they are run by incompetents.  The local press there should spend more time on that issue.  They just lost the best player in baseball.  Their one superstar is always hurt so even trading him will not bring back good value.  Their farm system is not good.  The Rendon discussion just distracts fans from the real issues and puts all the horns on him. And he seems willing to take that position. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #89: February 22, 2024, 10:51:52 PM »
Though Bryce Harper is very popular in Philly, he is getting a hard time about asking for an extension with 8 years left on his current deal.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/phillies-bryce-harper-contract-extension-spring-training-scott-boras-20240222.html

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #90: February 23, 2024, 11:55:01 AM »
Though Bryce Harper is very popular in Philly, he is getting a hard time about asking for an extension with 8 years left on his current deal.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/phillies-bryce-harper-contract-extension-spring-training-scott-boras-20240222.html
Even on the rare occurrences where a Boras mega-deal works out well for the team, he'll still make sure to screw them.   Sure, he gets his players every last cent he can, but Boras makes watching baseball less fun.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #91: March 02, 2024, 06:18:07 PM »
This is really Retired Nationals Watch...

...There is a one-second cameo of Zim in the most recent Mercedes TV commercial.  He's smiling, with his head inside some sort of doghnut-shaped contraption.  Got to be a Nats fan to spot it.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #92: March 05, 2024, 07:38:22 PM »
Giolito sidelined indefinitely with elbow discomfort

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- When the Red Sox signed righty Lucas Giolito as their key free agent in the offseason, the hope was that he would lead the team in innings while being one of the best comeback stories in MLB.

The optimism that surrounded Giolito’s acquisition in December has been put into serious jeopardy, with Red Sox manager Alex Cora announcing on Tuesday that the 29-year-old is dealing with discomfort in his right elbow.

It is all but certain Giolito will open the season on the injured list and miss a significant amount of time beyond that.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reported Tuesday morning that initial tests showed Giolito "likely has a partially torn UCL and flexor strain," which could put his 2024 season in doubt.

The Red Sox didn’t confirm or deny the report, just saying repeatedly they are still in the information-gathering phase. It’s possible Giolito will seek a second opinion.

https://www.mlb.com/news/lucas-giolito-delayed-2024-opener

Online Five Banners

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #94: March 11, 2024, 09:33:20 AM »
On the one hand I suspect we're going to see huge years from Trea Turner, Bryce Harper and Juan Soto.

On the other hand I suspect we're going to see real progress from James Wood, Dylan Crews and Brady House. Maybe even Robert Hassell III and Elijah Green.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #95: March 15, 2024, 07:22:01 PM »
Michael A Taylor signs for 1 year, $4 million, with the Pirates.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #96: March 16, 2024, 01:30:10 PM »
Michael A Taylor signs for 1 year, $4 million, with the Pirates.

MAT would have looked better with the curly 'W'. Better ballplayer than Robles and plays all three OF positions. Hits for power, like Gallo but with 100 point better average.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: March 16, 2024, 02:02:40 PM »
MAT would have looked better with the curly 'W'. Better ballplayer than Robles and plays all three OF positions. Hits for power, like Gallo but with 100 point better average.
Plus you might be able to flip him at the deadline.  I am sure the Pirates will be looking to do that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: March 16, 2024, 02:06:36 PM »
In 2023, Gallo had a higher OPS in 2023. .741 over .720. If you are just concerned about average, then we are talking .220 vs .177 last year. Last 3 season, Taylor has had OPSs of .653, .670, and .720. Gallo has had .621 (in NYY), .671, and  .741. The same hitters, basically. I like Taylor's D, but if you are down on the Gallo signing, then the biggest thing for the 3 year older guy is he's $1 million cheaper.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #99: March 16, 2024, 04:55:54 PM »
In 2023, Gallo had a higher OPS in 2023. .741 over .720. If you are just concerned about average, then we are talking .220 vs .177 last year. Last 3 season, Taylor has had OPSs of .653, .670, and .720. Gallo has had .621 (in NYY), .671, and  .741. The same hitters, basically. I like Taylor's D, but if you are down on the Gallo signing, then the biggest thing for the 3 year older guy is he's $1 million cheaper.

We shouldn't have to dumpster dive for either of them...