Author Topic: The Big Dig  (Read 3715 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: The Big Dig
« Reply #25: January 24, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
"Came back"... you've been on the road?

Suddenly I feel like the great unwashed.

Yup...helped a woman with 2WD drive her car out of a snow rut while I was at it...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: January 24, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »
Our neighbor piled all of his driveway snow up against our mailbox.  We won't get mail until spring now...

Just came back from a beer run myself...  ;)

I suppose your Social Security stipend with my money is direct deposit.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #27: January 24, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
I suppose your Social Security stipend with my money is direct deposit.   

Yup...and thanks for reminding me about our raise...  ;)

Offline whytev

« Reply #28: January 24, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
America is cold! Do you all live in igloos?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #29: January 24, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
America is cold! Do you all live in igloos?

Uh....

Offline whytev

« Reply #30: January 24, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »
Uh....

Sorry, a lifetime of buildup on that one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: January 24, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
Three times I've cleared my driveway only to have plows deposited ice boulders back across the opening

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: January 24, 2016, 07:55:46 PM »
Just heard the first plow. I think I'll wait until daylight to take on the new ice floe.
Three times I've cleared my driveway only to have plows deposited ice boulders back across the opening

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: January 24, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »
I'm goin' out for a walk.    Gonna see who in the realm of the HOA is plowed and I'm takin' my camera.    Next HOA meeting, I'm givin 'em a slideshow  (:old:  I'll explain that to the younguns later.)   and tell 'em, "You failed.    You're fired."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: January 25, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
Crystal City is mostly bare pavement and cleared walks, but what they have done is set up an on-street snow dump on 20th where the bobcats are piling things up.  I'm guessing they will eventually truck that off to long bridge park or some place that serves as a central snow dump.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #35: January 25, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
Crystal City is mostly bare pavement and cleared walks, but what they have done is set up an on-street snow dump on 20th where the bobcats are piling things up.  I'm guessing they will eventually truck that off to long bridge park or some place that serves as a central snow dump.

Richmond does that on alternating streets.  Many of the streets are one way...so you better want to be going the way of the cleared streets...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #36: January 25, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
Shoveled some on Saturday for two hours or so and then for several hours on Sunday and we are good to go. Had to clear off four cars, a driveway, and front steps. My wife and son helped too but they petered out after a while. My strategy is frequent breaks, stretching, hydrating, good shoveling technique, and lots of Advil.

I went and helped a couple of neighbors too. My next door neighbor (a good friend) usually waits until the last minute. I finally figured out his m.o. :roll: He's thinking that people will help him once they are done doing their own house. I helped practically the entire neighborhood before I went over to help him. :evil:

My side street has been plowed consistently, which is not typical. I was able to get out fairly early...made a run to the store Sunday afternoon and drove wife to work this morning through the Seven Corners/Bailey's area. The major roads still need a lot of work.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #37: January 25, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
A couple of good joints would be more effective

My strategy is frequent breaks, stretching, hydrating, good shoveling technique, and lots of Advil.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: January 25, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
Shoveled out three neighbors and a stuck car
Now I just sit back and wait for the heart attack

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #39: January 25, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
Shoveled out three neighbors and a stuck car
Now I just sit back and wait for the heart attack

:pray:

:)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #40: January 25, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
drove out last night to get some food.  It was one lane in our neighborhood and 1 1/2 on the secondary roads.  Parking lots are a mess as are intersections.  I imagine things will be greatly improving today.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #41: January 25, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Just went for a walk around the neighborhood (in the street). Not an easy walk since the packed snow surface was quite slick. It'd be easy to drive on if the road were plowed to a full two lanes, but it wasn't. Further down past the next neighborhood it gets choppier due to more traffic. The problem there is that we have to go up a short hill and too many people go too slowly to build up some momentum. Gonna be interesting tomorrow morning since I suspect we'll be headed out to go to work.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #42: January 25, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
Borrowed a neighbor's slowblower and cleared the huge driveway of the old lady across the street. It had been untouched so it was still kind of powdery. Kind of a breeze and the first time I've ever used a snowblower.

She's good for baked goods for at least another year.:-)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #43: January 25, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
I drove through North Arlington on Washington Blvd. and I was shocked to see that many of the side streets have been untouched. I grew up in Arlington and we always used to get at least a little plowing action.

Meanwhile, my neighborhood has been continiously plowed (except for a stretch on Saturday morning) since Friday. Near Tysons/McLean in Fairfax County. It didn't used to be that way. We would always get the least attention.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #44: January 25, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
Just went for a walk around the neighborhood (in the street). Not an easy walk since the packed snow surface was quite slick. It'd be easy to drive on if the road were plowed to a full two lanes, but it wasn't. Further down past the next neighborhood it gets choppier due to more traffic. The problem there is that we have to go up a short hill and too many people go too slowly to build up some momentum. Gonna be interesting tomorrow morning since I suspect we'll be headed out to go to work.

That slick, packed snow is my entire neighborhood right now. Wife and I decided to walk to the IHOP across the street. On the way, passed several stuck cars. Looks like I'm teleworking tomorrow.

As for side streets in Arlington, has anyone seen Crystal Drive?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #45: January 25, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
That slick, packed snow is my entire neighborhood right now. Wife and I decided to walk to the IHOP across the street. On the way, passed several stuck cars. Looks like I'm teleworking tomorrow.

As for side streets in Arlington, has anyone seen Crystal Drive?

I drove in North Arlington late this afternoon around George Mason Drive and Washington Blvd. Many of the sidestreets have not even been touched, while some have been plowed down to asphalt. I would be pissed.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #46: January 25, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »
Finished with the plowberg at the bottom of the driveway at 11:00. Was at work at Noon.

MoCo did a surprisingly good job with the roads, all things considered.

If I had a tolerable work-at-home situation (like a desk in a fairly quiet area), I'd stay home tomorrow, but I don't, so off to work I'll go.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #47: January 25, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
Bobcat just came through.    Almost 72 hours since the last plow.    The crapz is we already dug out most of the snow.    I'm bettin' the HOA tries to stick us with a special assessment for this.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: January 25, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
:clap:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #49: January 25, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »

:clap:

Hell I thought he meant the digging kind of joints.    :)