Author Topic: What are you listening to (2024)?  (Read 1275 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: What are you listening to (2024)?
« Reply #75: April 11, 2024, 10:52:07 PM »

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #76: April 15, 2024, 07:00:13 PM »
Interesting (now largely forgotten) Prog track...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: April 15, 2024, 07:55:37 PM »
CBS royally screwed up the Billy Joel concert last night. Because of the Masters, they pushed everything back about 30 minutes meaning that the concert started after 9:30 instead of at 9. Then, they cut the concert off at 11:30 to switch to local news, in the middle of Piano Man. I guess they weren't in the mood for a melody?

CBS issued an apology and says they will re-air the show in its entirety on April 19th. It is also now available on Paramount+

I hated the broadcast. Billy and the band sounded great and the show looked incredible, especially given the venue. But it seemed like it was one song followed by 10 minutes of commercials over and over again. They also omitted Big Shot from the original set list.

On the positive side, they didn't air "We didn't start the fire"

Here's the original set list versus what aired:

1. Miami 2017
2. My Life
3. Vienna
4. The Downeaster Alexa (Did not air)
5. An Innocent Man
6. The Longest Time (Did not air)
7. Turn the Lights Back On
8. Big Man on Mulberry Street (with Sting)
9. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (with Sting) (Did not air)
10. Movin' Out
11. Half a Mile Away (Did not air)
12. The Entertainer (Did not air)
13. Don't Ask Me Why (Did not air)
14. Allentown (Did not air)
15. New York State of Mind
16. Only the Good Die Young
17. The River of Dreams
18. Nessun dorma (Did not air)
19. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
20. Piano Man (aired at the end of the CBS broadcast and got cut off)
21. We Didn't Start the Fire (Did not air)
22. Uptown Girl (Did not air)
23. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
24. Big Shot (Did not air)
25. You May Be Right (with a bit of "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin)

Offline machpost

« Reply #78: April 16, 2024, 07:56:06 AM »
CBS royally screwed up the Billy Joel concert last night. Because of the Masters, they pushed everything back about 30 minutes meaning that the concert started after 9:30 instead of at 9. Then, they cut the concert off at 11:30 to switch to local news, in the middle of Piano Man. I guess they weren't in the mood for a melody?

CBS issued an apology and says they will re-air the show in its entirety on April 19th. It is also now available on Paramount+

I hated the broadcast. Billy and the band sounded great and the show looked incredible, especially given the venue. But it seemed like it was one song followed by 10 minutes of commercials over and over again. They also omitted Big Shot from the original set list.

On the positive side, they didn't air "We didn't start the fire"

Here's the original set list versus what aired:

1. Miami 2017
2. My Life
3. Vienna
4. The Downeaster Alexa (Did not air)
5. An Innocent Man
6. The Longest Time (Did not air)
7. Turn the Lights Back On
8. Big Man on Mulberry Street (with Sting)
9. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (with Sting) (Did not air)
10. Movin' Out
11. Half a Mile Away (Did not air)
12. The Entertainer (Did not air)
13. Don't Ask Me Why (Did not air)
14. Allentown (Did not air)
15. New York State of Mind
16. Only the Good Die Young
17. The River of Dreams
18. Nessun dorma (Did not air)
19. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
20. Piano Man (aired at the end of the CBS broadcast and got cut off)
21. We Didn't Start the Fire (Did not air)
22. Uptown Girl (Did not air)
23. It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
24. Big Shot (Did not air)
25. You May Be Right (with a bit of "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin)

I'd blame the Masters. They have such a firm grip around CBS's you-know-whats, that they would've preempted the first moon landing if it was happening at the same time.

Offline imref

« Reply #79: April 16, 2024, 09:18:41 AM »
CBS should have preempted whatever that cop show was that aired between 60 minutes and the concert.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #80: April 17, 2024, 10:10:11 AM »
Interesting that the new Ministry album includes a cover of a relatively obscure 45 from 1980 - Ricky's Hand' by Fad Gadget (a cautionary tale of the perils of drink-driving...). Much as I like much of MInistry's stuff, the original is better...

Have to say that, on first listen, 'Hopium' is something of a disappointment - it's not bad, but there's nothing outstanding either; sort of 'bread-and-butter' Ministry (we're not talking 'Rio Grande Blood' or 'Last Sucker' here...)

Offline machpost

« Reply #81: April 17, 2024, 12:56:37 PM »
Interesting that the new Ministry album includes a cover of a relatively obscure 45 from 1980 - Ricky's Hand' by Fad Gadget (a cautionary tale of the perils of drink-driving...). Much as I like much of MInistry's stuff, the original is better...

Have to say that, on first listen, 'Hopium' is something of a disappointment - it's not bad, but there's nothing outstanding either; sort of 'bread-and-butter' Ministry (we're not talking 'Rio Grande Blood' or 'Last Sucker' here...)
I love Ministry but I'm afraid I've never really given anything a listen that was released after Filth Pig.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #82: April 17, 2024, 06:21:24 PM »
I love Ministry but I'm afraid I've never really given anything a listen that was released after Filth Pig.

Indeed - they are something of a cyclical band; from the early Industrial greats ('Twitch' / ''Land' / 'Taste') to Jourgenson discovering Thrash ('Psalm 69'), but then the creative malaise of the '90's and early Naughties ('Filthpig' / 'Spoon' / 'Animal') followed by the rediscovery of Thrash and the classics of the mid to late Naughties ('Mole' / 'Rio' / 'Sucker') and now another creative lull ('Relapse' / 'Amerikkka' / Hygiene). 'Hopium' isn't as wayward as 'Hygiene', which was like listening to early AC/DC - same plodding ryhthm for every track, but it still lacks direction. For example, 'New Religion' opens as though it's a return to 'Slayistry' (as they were ironically described in the late Naughties) with its heavy guitar opening - but then the melodic vocals start and things start to drift. I'm also finding Jourgenson's attachment to the trend group of the day somewhat tiresome (so we've had Occupy, Antifa and now Just Stop Oil) - not only does it make them seem 'faddy', but it also instantly dates the music (heard much of Occupy, recently?...).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #83: April 19, 2024, 05:41:46 PM »
The new Taylor album...kinda stinks.

Offline imref

« Reply #84: April 19, 2024, 09:49:08 PM »
Billy on again tonight on CBS.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #85: April 19, 2024, 10:04:23 PM »
Billy on again tonight on CBS.
They have it on Paramount Plus so will check that out some time.