Author Topic: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2011)  (Read 44253 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2011)
« Reply #175: April 08, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
He didn't fit neatly into the cookie cutter player that people wanted him to be.

Oh come on. In addition to the missing team crap/lateness already mentioned, what will always get me is when he said he would no longer listen to the coaching staff. He said it plain as day, openly, that the reason for all of his failures was the coaches "didn't get him" and that as such, he would no longer be listening to or taking instruction from them. I don't think I need to say anymore or go on a long winded rant about what that means. Any player, a player in his mid-20s, that publicly says the coaches are idiots and that he will no longer be "using their services"? That's definitely not fitting a cookie cutter mold of a player I want on a team I root for.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #176: April 08, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
A decent article on Milledge at Fangraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/he-didnt-leave-a-lastings-impression/

Any idiot that stops listening to coaches isn't ever going to be successful no matter how much raw talent they possess. An idiot that then states such a thing to the press... Well, that idiot is Lastings Milledge, and as the author said, by the time he's 30 he'll probably have played with, and burned his bridges with, eight teams. A shame to see such physical talent be wasted on such a talentless brain.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #177: April 10, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »
Cubs sign Ramon Ortiz

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #178: April 10, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
Cubs sign Ramon Ortiz

I liked Ortiz and I see that he has been converted to a primary role as a reliever.  After watching him in spring training 2006, I proposed that he should be used out of the pen because he comes out throwing fireballs and then cools off and because he should never have been allowed to hold a bat.  Although as I remember, he did get a HR in that one game where he had one of the best outings any Nat has pitched.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #179: April 11, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »
Peralta on the mound on ESPN, might close for the Rays :bang:

Offline PC

« Reply #180: April 11, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »

Just gave it up to Ellbury.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #181: April 13, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »
Burgess is on fire to start the season, four home runs already in four games. Just hit two today

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #182: April 13, 2011, 09:51:17 AM »
Ryan Langerhans has 3 HRs and a 1.010 OPS for the Mariners to start the season.

Morse has 0 HRs and a .421 OPS. :?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #183: April 13, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »

amazing that they have turned to Kyle Farnsworth, but he's getting the job done so far.

Offline PC

« Reply #184: April 19, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »
Struggling White Sox DH Dunn back in lineup

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After getting a day off, struggling Chicago White Sox designated hitter Adam Dunn is back in the starting lineup against the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday.

Dunn is 2-for-19 since returning from an emergency appendectomy while striking out 11 times, including three times on Sunday against the Angels. Manager Ozzie Guillen sat Dunn against Rays ace David Price in the White Sox's 5-0 loss on Monday.

"He took extra hitting today," Guillen said before Monday's game. "That's the Adam you're going to see. He's going to strike out a lot. He's going to walk a lot. When he gets hot, he's going to be on fire, on and off. But he's a pro. I don't worry about it. He's going to take extra hitting for a little while and try to make some adjustments."

Dunn, who worked with hitting coach Greg Walker in an attempt to change his fortunes, is batting .182 with two home runs and seven RBIs.

Doug Padilla covers the White Sox for ESPNChicago.com.

...and we STILL should have re-signed him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #185: April 19, 2011, 06:13:14 PM »
He was hitting great before the appendectomy.

Even hitting under .200 he's still got a .735 OPS with a .341 OBP.

He'll be fine.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #186: April 19, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
Yeah, that's not even really news-worthy unless he's on your fantasy roster.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #187: April 19, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
Burgess is on fire to start the season, four home runs already in four games. Just hit two today

I just looked up Burgess - http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=burges002mic

Currently has a .512 slugging average due to 4 home runs in only 43 at bats.  He is also hitting .186 and getting on base at a .205 clip.  And has struck out 12 times and walked once.  Pretty interesting slash line he has going. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #188: April 19, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »
Wily Mo Pena batting .444 with six homers and fifteen RBIs in AAA.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #189: April 19, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
I just looked up Burgess - http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=burges002mic

Currently has a .512 slugging average due to 4 home runs in only 43 at bats.  He is also hitting .186 and getting on base at a .205 clip.  And has struck out 12 times and walked once.  Pretty interesting slash line he has going.  

Also a step down from where he ended last season (AA-Harrisburg).  The other two players part of the deal, Morris and Hicks, aren't off to the best starts either.  Morris has yet to play and Hicks walked 6 in his debut with Peoria.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #190: April 19, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »
Jamey Carroll hitting .340/ .375/ .396  OPS .771  for the Dodgers.  He ain't no Alex Cora, though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #191: April 19, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
Jamey Carroll hitting .340/ .375/ .396  OPS .771  for the Dodgers.  He ain't no Alex Cora, though.

just coming to post this ... such a great clubhouse guy and an underrated ballplayer.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #192: April 20, 2011, 01:58:38 AM »

So totally a smart move on Blowden's part giving him away to the Rockies for $500k cash and no, zero, zilch players. Yeah, we really won out on that deal, getting that bum off our team and stopping the poison he was spreading in the clubhouse. (For those not around or don't remember, Carroll was a clubhouse leader and a guy everyone loved, including Frank, and including the fact he was an amazing player who did all the little things, and taught younger players in his mold as well. Yes, I'm still pissed over that deal.)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #193: April 20, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »
Carroll's contract with the Dodgers expires after the season.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #194: April 20, 2011, 02:02:59 AM »
Carroll's contract with the Dodgers expires after the season.

He's one guy I desperately want to see back here, even if he's not performing incredibly well. Which amazingly, despite his age and lack of ever making a name for himself, he seems like he always has. I've routinely checked his stats over the years, and he's a guy who often hovers around .300 if memory serves. But he's just such a phenomenal *baseball* player. He does all the little things, takes an extraordinary effort to do everything he possibly can. And he seemed like he enjoys working with younger players. So in other words, hes worth it just to have as a coach for younger players.

But imagine he was on our roster now. Who would you rather have filling in for Zimmerman, Cora or Carroll? It's not even a question. This is a guy who should have been a lifelong Nat.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #195: April 20, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
So totally a smart move on Blowden's part giving him away to the Rockies for $500k cash and no, zero, zilch players. Yeah, we really won out on that deal, getting that bum off our team and stopping the poison he was spreading in the clubhouse. (For those not around or don't remember, Carroll was a clubhouse leader and a guy everyone loved, including Frank, and including the fact he was an amazing player who did all the little things, and taught younger players in his mold as well. Yes, I'm still pissed over that deal.)
Hate to make it worse but it was 300,000. Even JB said it was a mistake.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #196: April 21, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »
nyjer is headed to the DL

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #197: April 23, 2011, 01:38:39 AM »
FLOP is such a disgrace to baseball.  he really is.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #198: April 23, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
And here is why:

{from CBSSports.com}
Lopez pulled late in loss                                                                 

News: The St. Petersburg Times reports that Tampa Bay INF Felipe Lopez was pulled in the
11th inning of Fridays game by manager Joe Maddon because of his lack of hustle. He did
not appear to run hard after hitting a grounder in the inning and it was bobbled by the
fielder, which cost the Rays a baserunner in the eventual loss.                           

Analysis: Lopez has now been in the center of two mix-ups with Maddon in his short time
as an active player in 2011. He flung his bat at White Sox pitcher Chris Sale after
hitting a home run against him April 9, and Maddon replied: "That's not how we play.
... We don't do that here.'' Fantasy owners should stay atop the situation in the coming
days, just in case disciplinary action is on the way. Lopez is just a marginal Fantasy
option in deeper formats when healthy. He is hitting .236 thus far. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #199: April 23, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
That's the Flopsy we all know and love know