Author Topic: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Shohei “Show Time” Ohtani
« Reply #175: April 12, 2024, 05:38:36 PM »
If Mizuhara bet $183 million, then he must have been pretty good at his bets in order to not have lost his shirt earlier. How much was Ohtani out on all this? Even Ohtani might have noticed $183 million. I wonder what loss had him go back to Shohei to grab the last amount.

Ohtani lost 16 million

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #176: April 12, 2024, 06:37:10 PM »
Ohtani lost 16 million
It's not like that is a rounding error, at least before the latest contract. How could he not notice?

Also, his translator bet $183 million and only lost $16 million? That's not bad.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: April 12, 2024, 06:51:09 PM »
It's not like that is a rounding error, at least before the latest contract. How could he not notice?

Also, his translator bet $183 million and only lost $16 million? That's not bad.
I mean I have like $100 in my account and have probably bet $500 over the past few months.  The balance goes up and down.  We don’t know that the $16 million is all missing. Obviously some amount was gone and that’s why they alerted the authorities. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #178: April 12, 2024, 07:44:05 PM »
If Mizuhara bet $183 million, then he must have been pretty good at his bets in order to not have lost his shirt earlier. How much was Ohtani out on all this? Even Ohtani might have noticed $183 million. I wonder what loss had him go back to Shohei to grab the last amount.

He was $40 million in the red. I just can’t get around a bookie extending that much credit without being positive that Ohtani was the one on the hook for it

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #179: April 13, 2024, 08:51:48 AM »
He was $40 million in the red. I just can’t get around a bookie extending that much credit without being positive that Ohtani was the one on the hook for it

There was a text between Ippei and the bookie after this story was initially breaking where the bookie essentially said he knew it was all BS and just a coverup for Ohtani and Ippei replied that no, it really was just him (Ippei).

So maybe the bookie really did think Ippei was acting on Ohtani's behalf.

Offline blue911

« Reply #180: April 13, 2024, 02:04:50 PM »
I mean I have like $100 in my account and have probably bet $500 over the past few months.  The balance goes up and down.  We don’t know that the $16 million is all missing. Obviously some amount was gone and that’s why they alerted the authorities.

Right. He could have bet a total of $180+, but his exposure could have been considerably less.